Found at the tip.

cludence

Found at the tip.

Postby cludence » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:49 pm

Here's another of my bikes. I dont have a bottomless pit but do have a few olides hanging around. This one I thought you might like (Gary)

My mate found me this gem at the tip for $5! Still trying to work out if it is a Hartley, Tom Wallace or Bates or some other oldie. Doesnt matter which it is. I am in love...

Top tube has a crack but I am going to get it fixed. No forks but it did come with a nice stem and some stronglight cranks.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Nice lugs, are they French?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:00 pm

Not sure. You cant really see in pic, but they do have a bit of detail to them on the bottom bracket etc. They are hand cut and same as what bates used to do, thus me wondering if it is a bates.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:22 am

Horizontal dropouts, you know what Richard is thinking right now :wink:

Thanks for showing us inside your shed everyone :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:18 am

Impressive lugs and a nice colour as well. I have never seen the lug style before but Heartly would be nice.

Good tip find. The stronglight cranks made the $5 price tag worth it on their own. A new top bar would be worth the effort.

You've done it again - another interesting frame.

Thanks

Gary.

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:23 am

Also had a nice 3ttt italian handlebar stem. -Obviously mismatched parts.

Yes I have several interesting frames, but problem is most are just frames. They are not complete, thus my envy at seeing yours all put together and finished.

I'd love to ride them instead of just look at them.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:39 pm

I've had a number of 5 stars over the years - mostly frames and I had a similar problem - how to source period correct components. Some of the frames just hung in the shed for years. I had one completely stripped of paint getting rusty for about four years. I swapped it for the red Colnago frame in the end.

At the moment, I have about 3 frames from the 20's and 30's just hanging there waiting for parts. (Nothing as desirable as yours though.)

You might have more 'drive' than me and put the frames back on the road. I'm sure there would be far more satisfaction doing that than the much easier task of getting a more recent bike back on the road like I seem to do.

Good luck with your frames,

Gary.