Bike commuting = less stress

bigfriendlyvegan

Bike commuting = less stress

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:15 pm

While we all know this already, there was an interesting link on EcoVelo that you all might like.

http://www.ecovelo.info/2009/07/07/the- ... g-paradox/

Just don't let the employers know about it. They will start paying us less.

Cheers,
David

mikedufty

Re: Bike commuting = less stress

Postby mikedufty » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:24 pm

I reckon one of the reasons cycling is less stressful is the lack of traffic issues though, which might change once enough people catch on, like in SE asia where a motorcycle doesn't let you avoid the traffic jams, it just lets you participate in the motorcycle traffic jam inbetween the car ones.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:41 pm

mikedufty wrote:I reckon one of the reasons cycling is less stressful is the lack of traffic issues though, which might change once enough people catch on, like in SE asia where a motorcycle doesn't let you avoid the traffic jams, it just lets you participate in the motorcycle traffic jam inbetween the car ones.
Great article, thanks. I think it's the lack of impact of traffic congestion and the endorphins and destressors associated with physical exercise. Combine all that and we're better off..Oh, and also a 30-60min bicycle commute probably applies more to people living closer to work than from the outer suburbs to the city, so less caught up in the traffic anyway.

I know even before cycling I am MUCH more bearable commuting by motorcycle than car. Less exercise, more options to get throught the traffic like a pushy.

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:00 pm

I was trying decide whilst riding my route to work this morning and getting thoroughly pithed upon - whether doing so was more character building or less soul destroying than some of the meetings I sit through & bureaucracy I contend with in between my to & fro commutes.

I think I'm only stressed off my bike..... eitherway, I'm either due for a career change or a much longer ride to work. :?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Hmm, much as I'd like to believe it I'm not so sure that this 'research' proves this.

If you download the original paper (e.g. here) and read it, you'll find that they don't actually define what they mean by 'commuting'. My reading (and I may of course be wrong) is that they're using commute = travel to work time.

There's certainly no analysis along the lines of driving to work is worse for you than walking/cycling, as they say in the ecovelo post.

cuttsnake

Postby cuttsnake » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:38 pm

I know that for me there is nothing like a good ride home to blow off the stress of a bad day at work. That means less stress on family because I'm not taking worked related frustration out on them as much.
Cuttsy.

I've worked very hard to achieve this level of mediocrity.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Love cycling. Definitely lowers my stress level. I look forward to waking up each morning because I get to ride to work and also include my pre-work ride and I look forward to after work because I get to ride home from work.

It also helps me keep fit, eat almost as much as I want guilt free and saves me $20 to $30 a day on fuel cost. :)

J

ad91on

Postby ad91on » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:17 pm

I have a nice case study for you.

I haven't ridden my bike for a week for various reasons.

In that week, i have successfully managed to rack up about $3000 worth of car damage which wouldn't have happened did i ride my bike to work that day.

I am also generally lethargic and irritable. I have trouble being comfortable sitting/lying down. I'm constantly tired and when I drive wherever i have to go, I'm bored and unattentive (hence the car damage). Riding a motorbike is a bit better, but it's still less visceral than the bicycle. I haven't done any of my hobbies either; i would normally constantly be doing something had I been riding my bike 6/7 days a week, but i have taken to watching tv or etc.

However tomorrow I get to ride my bike. It's going to be a good day :D :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure that's all from not riding my bike... if not, maybe i'm just getting depression... :shock: