Forum Skin "prosilver Special Edition" will be turned off

colafreak

Re: Forum Skin "prosilver Special Edition" will be turned off

Postby colafreak » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:14 am

Advertisers don't pay for what appear to be phony clicks.
Please pardon my ignorableness

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:53 am

colafreak wrote:Advertisers don't pay for what appear to be phony clicks.
So if a new advert comes up and I click on it and go visit the site, that is a phoney click? So are you saying that there is no point in me clicking on the Chinese language advert to the right, even though I might be interested in learning the language? How would you determine that one click on the link is phoney? So if I don't buy the product it is phoney click? Some other measure?

Somehow what I would suspect, given my own account with Google Adsense and the terms and conditions, that if Google suspected phoney clicking was happening here, Christopher would have heard about it by now.

Let me be clear (in case it wasn't obvious before) that I am not suggesting repeated clicking of an advert by an individual to generate revenue but I am suggesting supporting the site in a responsible manner (i.e., helping Christopher offset the costs) which seem to provide a lot of fun for a lot of people. Hence my question in an early post, if one can't see the adverts, how can one support the site?

Is supporting Christopher in providing the forums unreasonable ask?

Regards
Andrew

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:
colafreak wrote:Advertisers don't pay for what appear to be phony clicks.
So if a new advert comes up and I click on it and go visit the site, that is a phoney click? So are you saying that there is no point in me clicking on the Chinese language advert to the right, even though I might be interested in learning the language? How would you determine that one click on the link is phoney? So if I don't buy the product it is phoney click? Some other measure?

Somehow what I would suspect, given my own account with Google Adsense and the terms and conditions, that if Google suspected phoney clicking was happening here, Christopher would have heard about it by now.

Let me be clear (in case it wasn't obvious before) that I am not suggesting repeated clicking of an advert by an individual to generate revenue but I am suggesting supporting the site in a responsible manner (i.e., helping Christopher offset the costs) which seem to provide a lot of fun for a lot of people. Hence my question in an early post, if one can't see the adverts, how can one support the site?

Is supporting Christopher in providing the forums unreasonable ask?

Regards
Andrew
A chill pill might be in order. Some people aren't aware of this fact and I was just educating those who MIGHT be repeatedly clicking.

My thoughts would be that if you click a particular ad at the same time every day and make a habit of it, they may discount those clicks as well.

Just adding information to the knowledge pool
Please pardon my ignorableness

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:13 pm

colafreak wrote:A chill pill might be in order. Some people aren't aware of this fact and I was just educating those who MIGHT be repeatedly clicking.
Good idea.
My thoughts would be that if you click a particular ad at the same time every day and make a habit of it, they may discount those clicks as well.

Just adding information to the knowledge pool
Agree, however, your statement as given was lacking in the detail and given the context of the preceding discussion was potentially misleading, hence my reply. Personally I find that when making these sort of statements providing clarity and context is useful; of course YMMV.

I am sorry if my reply bothered you, but I found your comment was at best misleading and at worse attacking in the context of the preceding discussion.

Regards
Andrew

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Aushiker wrote:
m@ wrote:Er - yeah... hence why I thought it might be a good idea to let Christopher know that the ads aren't appearing in FF... :?
Hi

Ahh I wasn't having a go at you, well that was not my intention ... it was said in jest hence the smile ....

That said I am however interested in how you can support the financing of the forums if you use Adblock. Would be nice to get rid of the ads if there is a way to do both.

Regards
Andrew
Fair enough... Short answer is that Adblock only blocks what you tell it to; whichever site hosts the ads here must already be on my blacklist from somewhere else though as I've never seen them until I checked the site in IE... :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank you for the feedback on the site blocker - quite frankly if someone chooses to block ads then so be it. We are doing much better than some other cycling forums which for example have a google ad between each post and do contextual hyperlinks (which have sucked me in).

Certainly if there is interest in an offer promoted then go for it. Both Andrew and Colafreak touch on good points and I wouldn't encourage clicking on the google unless an ad catches your eye and you wish to find out more. For me they are similar to "search results" in that they are often tailored to the page content and can present truly interesting or useful info. I myself am certainly not permitted to click (on BNA ads) however on other sites if I see something that catches my eye, even if I may not intend to purchase, I can click to find out more.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:07 pm

m@ wrote:Fair enough... Short answer is that Adblock only blocks what you tell it to; whichever site hosts the ads here must already be on my blacklist from somewhere else though as I've never seen them until I checked the site in IE... :)
Okay. I haven't used it so wasn't aware as to how it worked. The ads here on the side are from Google I think.

Andrew

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:33 am

Some more info for adblock users who want to prevent the ads here from being blocked...

Most people would go with an 'off-the-shelf' Adblock blacklist though, which would probably pick up the ads here - I've had a play and come up with two solutions - you can either insert an custom filter with the address (AT)(AT)http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/* (the (AT)(AT) designates it as an exception filter - ie, never block elements from this domain) - this will work as long as the ads are hosted by google - or right-click the adblock icon on the status bar and select 'disable on bicycles.net.au' - which is a bit more foolproof.

Anyhow, I guess we're now well and truly off-topic... ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 am

m@ wrote:Anyhow, I guess we're now well and truly off-topic... ;)
Isn't that normal here? :)

Thanks for the info on Adblock too.

Andrew