Approaching a hill that you dread...

nicolen

Approaching a hill that you dread...

Postby nicolen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am

Hi guys,

I'm interested to know if there are particular hills on your commute that you dread. For me, it's Murdoch Street in Cremorne.

Also, what are the different ways you might psych yourself up for these hills.

Nic.

goneriding

Re: Approaching a hill that you dread...

Postby goneriding » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 pm

I have a love hate relationship with ANZAC Bridge as it is either early or at the end of my commute.

Love it for the view over the harbour. Hate it because it hurts - alot - due to the fact I treat it as an fast climb!

For me with hills I like to get the cadence right before I start the climb and concentrate on the breathing. By the time I've got that all sorted out I'm on the climb so it gets me over the dread!

That sets me up to take the climb as hard as possible and the pain does go away!

That and having the attitude from a T-Shirt I saw recently "What would Jens (as in Voigt) do?". The answer is ATTACK :twisted:

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Gladesville bridge going west on the shared path. You climb and climb, get to the top, build up a decent speed on the way down and then have to slam on the anchors because there's a 300 degree turn at the bottom! All that effort and then you burn it off in brake rubber. Pah! :x

jgreen

Postby jgreen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:38 pm

i tend to enjoy killer hills, but oin a bad day (even though it doesn't help much on a long rid) i find it easy to get up a hill if i sprint on the flat before hand, as i can roll up quite a bit of it, and my heart rate is already up for the climb :D
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Muhammad Ali

Velocite Helios, Avanti Corsa Pro Elite, Kuwahara K-Pro 6000

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:38 pm

ANZAC Br climb is manageable for some reason but Lilyfield Rd climb kills me more. Probably because of its length, I tend to go a lot harder on it than on the bridge. But great short effort training. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:44 pm

For both the Anzac bridge and the SHB, it just never seems the downhill reward makes up for the hard slog up... no matter on which direction. However, both these bridges can be torture when faced with a strong headwind. Even going downhill requires effort!

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:07 am

nicolen wrote: what are the different ways you might psych yourself up for these hills.

Nic.
well my roadie dosnt have any but on my workhorse I love to psych myself up with a really small granny gear!!!! other than that just think it's the best way to build up your cycling legs, easy said in perth because hills don't exist here

Dial

Postby Dial » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:47 am

I go for the footpath and the granny gear and take it easy. I like to save my energy for when I'm mixing it with traffic

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:20 pm

I rarely do Lilyfield Rd as it is a shortcut on my commute. I go up and over Victoria Rd. It's not very steep but like Lilyfield is long enough to really put the hurt on towards the top. The motivation for that climb is that I will be another kilometre closer to home and one further away from work!

The other motivation is that if you see someone further up the hill from you target trying to catch them before the top of the hill. I find focussing on that is a great motivator.

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:14 am

For my hill, on Eastlink Trail between Burwood Hwy. and High Street Road, I focus on my cadence and breathing.
"Keep it above 90... keep it above 90", I say to myself.
My focus on breathing is for exhaling - inhaling takes care of itself but exhaling needs a bit more attention for me. :)
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll

Chanboy

Postby Chanboy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:19 am

I did that Lillyfield Rd hill yesterday... managed it without having to drop to granny gear... must be getting fitter in my old age... lol. It's nice to get a red light at the top - an excuse for a quick breather... :-)

philip

Postby philip » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:12 pm

I don't mind a decent hill, it's the false flats that I get frustrated at. When there's a harsh road surface + false flat, it can seem like you're putting in an effort that doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:04 am

Hills? What hills? What ARE hills? Do we HAVE any hills in Perth?

I haven't come across anything too dastardly that I recall. However I do find those damned ramps and PSPs with the undulating slope an absolute pain. The sort that planners lately seem to like where a 10 degree slope is instead something that is 12 for five metres then level for two then 12 for five then level for two then... The ramps at Claisebrook station and the gentle climb heading just south of Bull Creek station are examples.

I think it is supposed to stop all you guys from going at speed. Or maybe they think wheelchair people use the flats for a rest. But all it does for a unicyclist is make an acceptable slope a pain.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle