Commuting vs Weekend bike?

maicoboy

Re: Commuting vs Weekend bike?

Postby maicoboy » Sun May 24, 2009 7:57 pm

I don't suppose you have any pix of the Shogun. I would like to see it :D
Here's a before shot from when I got it...

and here's how it looks now...

The frame, stem, saddle, bottom bracket and pedals are the only original parts left. Converting to 9 speed was pretty straignt forward because I replaced the whole drivetrain and didn't try to mix and match (although the crankset is Campag Chorus).

The RD is new Ultegra
Shifters are SRAM attach 9 speed (Shinamo compatible so once adjusted it shifts great)
The FD is new 105

These wheels won't be used for commuting because the rear hub is very dodgy (often freewheels in both directions) and the tyres are singles which would be a pain if I got a flat on the way to work. I've built a set of wheels for commuting and being my first attempt at wheelbuilding couldn't get them perfectly true or dished so they're at the LBS getting finished off. A pair of SPD pedals will be going on soon as well.

This should possibly be in the Retro Bike category but this is the first time I've built up an old bike like this and I highly recommend it. When complete it will owe me close to $400 and most of the 'wear' components such as drivetrain, hubs and cables are brand new and it rides really well. I can't think of a new bike in this price range as nice to ride or with this quality of components.

Cheers, Tim

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon May 25, 2009 12:16 pm

maicoboy wrote:This should possibly be in the Retro Bike category but this is the first time I've built up an old bike like this and I highly recommend it. When complete it will owe me close to $400 and most of the 'wear' components such as drivetrain, hubs and cables are brand new and it rides really well. I can't think of a new bike in this price range as nice to ride or with this quality of components.
Looking good now. Glad to hear it rides well too. Thanks for the pix :D
<removed by request>

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Fri May 29, 2009 3:32 pm

I use the one bike for commuting, weekend rides, training, time trialling and Audax.
I do have spares though in case something breaks.
I have a spare set of wheels tyres, tubes and cables.
I also keep the bike clean, well maintained and serviced.

The spares give me piece of mind, but broke three spokes on one wheel recently, so swapped to the spare
while repairs were being done. The wheel took over two weeks to get back.
Thankfully having a spare let me continue riding.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm

bradwoodbr wrote:I use the one bike for commuting, weekend rides, training, time trialling and Audax.
I do have spares though in case something breaks.
I have a spare set of wheels tyres, tubes and cables.
I also keep the bike clean, well maintained and serviced.

The spares give me piece of mind, but broke three spokes on one wheel recently, so swapped to the spare
while repairs were being done. The wheel took over two weeks to get back.
Thankfully having a spare let me continue riding.
Three spokes is pretty bad! I broke 2 on that last Audax ride we went on, so that bike was off the road too. I have three bikes. Two were off the road for repairs so I have had to commute on my MTB for 2 weeks. It's nice to ride though so I might just keep riding that to work. I got my wheel back for my Repco and it turned out that the hub had to be rebuilt too, so it's as smooth as now and so quiet :D Looking forward to the Audax ride tomorrow. Looks like the weather will be great!
<removed by request>

couleur

Postby couleur » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:11 pm

My commuting bike is my weekend bike too. Well, sort of, i'm actually looking forward to get a proper road bike since I like to cycle fast.

Heres a picture of my bike.

It's almost a full XTR M970 bike, should have just paid that extra 350 to get the XTR crankset and shifters. Hayes Carbon stroker hydraulic brakes, they are amazing, best brakes ever! It's like one of those carbon ceramic racing brakes on cars, feels and acts the same, goes real smooth.

:D

Well, i dont really commute, only cycle it at night most of the time with my buddy after 12am midnight. Sometimes I take it to uni, at night, and park it inside the lab...hahaha

2WheelsGood

Postby 2WheelsGood » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:33 pm

I am a relative newbie to cycling. I have been commuting to work for about a year. I bought a Giant OCR Touring for that purpose as I wanted something I could rely on. It's worked well. I also take it rarely on weekends for fun. My previous bike was a Learsport hybrid and while it was good value for $250 I didn't feel it was quick enough or something I could rely on to take me to work.

Anyway today I just bought a hybrid Merida Crossway 300V (for $599 ... woot!) to replace my old Learsport to do the rail trails / unsealed bike paths which is where I really enjoy my cycling most :P

My 0.02 about commuting to work on a bike is:

1) If you have a secure place to ride a bike and you enjoy your commute, then ride the best bike you can.

2) If your workplace has no secure storage and the commute is simply a bit of a drag for you, then buy a separate secondhand bike that won't break your heart if it gets stolen - or get insurance :P
2004 Giant OCR Touring
2009 Fuji Roubaix Pro
2009 Merida Crossway Sport TFS 300V

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:57 pm

I was commuting on my wife's Giant Boulder MTB for almost 4 months when i did my lolly and told her i was getting a bike to commute on. Since i only travel 5km to work I chose the 2008 Giant Bowery. I enjoy the low maintanence hassle free single speed commute.
After riding it now for several months there's a few things I'd do differant and get a bike with disk brakes. In the wet the dual pivot brakes aren't very good.
As much as i enjoy the single speed for all it's hassle free and reduced chain noise riding I miss being able to ride fast.
I could just use a smaller back cog and a larger front but then I'd get harder to ride up those hills and the 46/17 I have at the moment is a good ratio.
Still it's annoying when you ride home with someone with 10 plus gears and they pull away from you easily and your peddeling your little legs off and can't go faster than 38-44km and maintain it..

So I've been thinking of selling the Bowery and getting something with an internal gear hub. Or just convert the Bowery into an internal gear hub so I can go faster and not have the hassle of buying a new bike and selling the Bowery. Can't justify two bikes at the moment.
I have an old Centurion frame which i'm building up into a single speed so I guess i could eventually sell the Bowery and just build up the Centurion to have an internal geared hub on that.

gdt

Postby gdt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:16 am

Two bikes, but the reverse.

The nice road bike (alloy+ultegra) is used for the commute. It's about 45Km each way, so the added weight and tyre drag of a mountain bike would suck.

It also gets run on the Saturday morning ride -- my commute doesn't have many hills, so I ride into the Adelaide Hills on the weekend to get some practice in. Having brekkie in the Hills is also a nice start to the weekend before the descent back into the city, housework, running kids to sports and so on. I don't ride with a group on Saturdays, although I wish I did, as cycling along chatting could also be a nice start to the weekend.

The old suspension-less mountain bike is used on the rest of the weekend and after work. It can be left locked outside the shops with some assurance that it will still be there to take the shopping home. The gearing is low enough to ride alongside the kids. Pedals have straps, not clips. Ironically, this bike is costing more to maintain than the main bike (just dumb luck).

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:54 pm

I have 2 but this is due to me splitting my time between Sydney and BrisVegas I have one in each city. The commuter gets belted on Sydney roads for 200+ km's per week and the weekender gets about 150 on the comparatively well maintained Brissy roads.

I'll be stopping the time split in a few months but I will be keeping both bikes especially since I have an appointment with OBR (grrr) with my weekender (it's setup for climbing and is 3 - 4 kgs lighter than the commuter).

That said you also need:
1. an MTB for when you go off road
2. a fixie to appear hard core on
3. a cruiser - just because

You could also enter the derivatives market and get alot more bikes! As they say the derivatives market can be very costly but also very rewarding!

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 am

goneriding wrote:3. a cruiser - just because
[deep, smooth voice] Oo-o-oh Ye-e-e-a-ahh! [/voice]

Really want to get a cruiser. After I finish doing up my current collection of bikes.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:45 pm

If both forms of riding are about the same, then one bike is all that is needed. As opposed to, say, doing grinds and jumps down at the local ramps and then commuing M-F.

Two bikes means twice as much storage and security issues,more maintence. (Lube dries out regardles of use, ditto leather saddles, tyres perish whether you are using the bike or not, surface rust the same, etc.)

For what it's worth, my experience - My final bike lasted twenty something years and was used all year. Most parts lasted the distance though I always rotated three chains and ran respectable (mostly Shimano 600 and Durace) components and did a reasonable amount of basic servicing. The frame was a decent quality (Reynolds 531).

Spokes, tyres, a replacement set of chains, brakepads, cables and a replaced cluster (less for wear and tear and more for a change in gearing to suit an aging body) were about the extent of parts over those decades. I added a Brooks saddle when I purchased it, along with some reflectors, lights and a hot little dynamo. I imagine that with a spare bike I would still have done a lot of those renewals and replacements and enhancements but between them both in greater quantity.

But if you move up to a better bike then it could make sense to keep the old one anyway as a reserve, what with the lousy price you will get for a second hand bike. Or if you just like toys (guys do) then go for a second one, replace regularly, collect bikes or whatever. It's not always about economics.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:29 pm

I've been riding one bike for both commuting and rides. However, I'm planning to run two bikes in future. The first is a light weight Italian steel racer that will be used more for rides. After that I have a touring/cross frame that I'm going to build up into a utility bike for commuting/shopping.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Super Commuter

Postby Super Commuter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Zynster wrote:I've been riding one bike for both commuting and rides. However, I'm planning to run two bikes in future. The first is a light weight Italian steel racer that will be used more for rides. After that I have a touring/cross frame that I'm going to build up into a utility bike for commuting/shopping.
This is pretty much my strategy. I have got a Giant CRX3 setup with mudguards, panniers and lights for commuting / baby carrying and am looking at giving my Repco Superlite a new groupset for long distance riding.

Thinking maybe, just maybe, getting into Audax type riding with the Superlite but to be honest I'm a little afraid of slowing everyone up on my old steel bike when they are on the latest CF! I doubt I'd be able to make up the difference with fitness as I'm just not that fit! :cry:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Super Commuter wrote:Thinking maybe, just maybe, getting into Audax type riding with the Superlite but to be honest I'm a little afraid of slowing everyone up on my old steel bike when they are on the latest CF! I doubt I'd be able to make up the difference with fitness as I'm just not that fit! :cry:
Audax riding is independent riding rather than group riding, so the only person you will hold up is yourself, unless of course someone decides to ride with you.

Regards
Andrew

Super Commuter

Postby Super Commuter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Aushiker wrote:Audax riding is independent riding rather than group riding, so the only person you will hold up is yourself, unless of course someone decides to ride with you.
Fair enough - after reading a number of ride reports I got the impression that the tendency was for people to hang in groups! I guess I was wondering what difference a bit of weight in the bike makes for this sort of riding - might start a thread on it but first I'll do a search to check if it has already been done to death! :roll:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Super Commuter wrote:Fair enough - after reading a number of ride reports I got the impression that the tendency was for people to hang in groups!
G'day

Groups can happen for sure, but it is not a group ride if that makes sense (except for the specific group Audax rides).

For example on last Sunday's ride, I rode on my own for awhile, then with Brad and then on my own and then with Perry and Bazzelmon and then on the way home hooked up with Bazzelmon and John whereas Perry rode on his own. Just depends how you riding and who is riding at your pace, if any one.

Andrew

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:57 pm

For commuting, I used to use the single speed. Its not too bad for the route I was using and it saved me on expensive parts. My riding timing has changed a little now because I like to go for a longer rider in the morning so I can't always use the single speed. Weekend bike is a road bike. I like long climbs and the single speed will not be as enjoyable.

IMO, you don't really need two bikes, but I prefer my daily commuter to be as low cost to maintain as possible. Weekend bikes is running on better gear and its carbon fibre so not as durable. I have two commuter bikes and both are steel,one is a Reynolds 953 and the other mild steel. Been in a number of mishaps and bike is still running well.

J

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:52 pm

I bought a good quality commuter bike a couple of months ago, and have been using it as such about 150km per week since. I don't have a weekend bike, but like the idea. Like several others in this forum, it is very likely that I'll buy a lighter, slicker roadie to be stored indoors and pulled outside on the weekends. Occasionally it could be used for work if the commuter is out of action.

Its not a necessity at all. Jeez it would be a nice thing to have though. 8)

anth73

Postby anth73 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:07 pm

I've got a Scott CR1 as my weekend bike and recently I bought a flat bar road bike as a commuter that was more like a hybrid in terms of gearing (wide spread of ratios and a triple crank), suspension forks and tyres (35mm on 700CC rims). Decided I didn't really like it as a commuter as I prefered somehting slightly more road oriented. Hence I decided to get a "proper" flat bar road bike..a Malvern Star Centro with 9 speed Sora groupset and a compact crank....lovely!

Interstingly, I took the "hybrid" out on the weekend with the kids down along the gravel trails through Banyule Flats and it was really in its element! Much to my wife's horror I've decided to keep it as my "much around with the kids and maybe do some cyclocross" bike.

I owe her big time!
Website: http://www.bcycling.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: Banyule Cycling Club
Twitter: @BanyuleCC

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:59 am

I, fatherofmany, suffer from N+1ism. There you go I said it.

The bike I ride everyday (ie commuter) is a cheap mtb which I am not too concerned about. I take it on the train and have had it bumped, shoved and there is a percentage of people who really couldn't give a crap about other people's property so a cheap one's the way to go.

Then on weekends I like to ride hills, go touring, or bash a trail so I have a bike suited to each style. Except that now I've broke the forks on my Trek mtb and my commuter is doubling as the trail basher until I fix it. And of course the 80's Malvern Star roadie, which gets the occasional ride and is purely nostalgic, just because it reminds me of the bike I had when I was a teenager.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Super Commuter wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Audax riding is independent riding rather than group riding, so the only person you will hold up is yourself, unless of course someone decides to ride with you.
Fair enough - after reading a number of ride reports I got the impression that the tendency was for people to hang in groups! I guess I was wondering what difference a bit of weight in the bike makes for this sort of riding - might start a thread on it but first I'll do a search to check if it has already been done to death! :roll:
I have ridden a Repco Superlite on most of my Audax rides this year which I guess is about 18 or so. I like the way it rides on rougher roads although it is heavy and slow (a bit like me) I like to ride it. I would have said that a CF bike is unsuitable for a longer ride but Aushiker rode Froggie on the Dawn til Dusk - Winter 200km ride and reported that it was excellent. So, I guess there is no "right" or "wrong" bike for an Audax, it is a matter of choice. With regard to being left behind, I was last rider in almost all of my rides. It didn't worry me though. I was there to relax, unwind, get a bit fitter and enjoy the ride.

Incidentally, I have replaced my Repco Superlite Cro-mo with a Masi Speciale Randonneur Chro-mo :D. It is probably not exactly geared the way I want it for Audax rides but I am using it as my commuter because my commuter bike is off the road, and it is superb for that. I am thinking of having my Repco rebuilt as a hill bike.
<removed by request>

thekovac

Postby thekovac » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:27 am

Well I have two bikes but I only use one at this stage. I bought about 3 years ago a $700 Giant Thermo MTB complete with diskbrakes and double weld tyres and recently after unforseen circumstances I've had to resort to using a bike for the next year as my main mode of transport, so I set out a budget for 2k and got the best bike I could which was a Apollo Giro C (named "Spiro') carbon fibre bike that had a 105 groupset. Because cycling was to be pretty much my only available modes of transport (don't like public transport much) I though I should get out there and get the best road bikeI can get for my money.. although I don't regret buying my Spiro for commuting I think I could've easily done with a road bike with alu frame for rigidness and strength (they usually don't feel as flimsy as carbon bikes) with 105 groupset and it'd fine for commuting, while spending the rest of the cash towards buying a more weekend type bike

It seems now that maybe the CF was a little overkill for my purpose but it has been great fun to ride with - I enjoy the thrill of trying harder and harder each ride to go faster increase my average speed .... although it hasn't been as good for mt's as I'd hope - infact my MTB seems to climb easier albiet at a slower pace......

As mentioned before these higher spe c bikes need alot of servicing - (especially in the first few months of ownership)... I had my last service in mid-December and its already needing to be serviced again, as one or two gears are continuously slipping, and I've only ridden about 400 k's since the last service! Because of its value (around 2.5k) it means that I have to be very careful with it and I'm unable to do much of the servicing myself like on my simpler MTB.... it feels a little overkill and to be honest I'm actually considering trying to fix my thermo (it has had a hard life down at my local mtb bush bash tracks in lysterfield) and converting it to commuter use....

I suppose its horses for courses really.... personally I can't afford to do too much weekend 'fun' riding because I have a busy schedule trying to fit my casual job, uni & uni work as well as some social time with friends as well, so therefore having Spiro as the commuter is probably one of the only way's it'd ever get ridden and I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much either...
Main Wheels - Gina the 2009 Apollo Giro C
Backup Ride - Tina the 2007 Giant Thermo2