what is the gradient of corkscrew rd?

dirty_harry

Re: what is the gradient of corkscrew rd?

Postby dirty_harry » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:43 pm

map my ride says that the new norton summit road peaks at 20% gradient, this seems extremely steep which i know it is but this seem excessive. I've never ridden it although i would like to give it a crack one day however i drive to and from school that way 3 days a week and I'm certain its not 20 % or am i just deceived as to what is a 20 % gradient
cheers harry
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:27 am

Dirty Harry,

Definitely not 20% at any part on New Norton Summit Rd. More like 6 - 9% overall.

The last 964m of Old Norton Summit Rd (from 25km/hr hairpin to the pub) is a measured 10% average. And with a headwind, it feels like it was 15% !!!!!

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 pm

If you've seen Morphett road that around 15% i read in another post(which is already tooooooooo steep for me to climb)

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:55 pm

all online mapping services need to be used with caution
see my post of 7 May 2009 here

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:49 pm

http://www.mapmyride.com/create_new
we talking bout the same norton summit rd straight up magill and right swing at the pub to go to lobethal i thought it was more than 10 its the steeper of the 2 fox creek is 10% and this is def steeper.
just want to add something did i see you riding along adelaide lobethal rd wed afternoon michael b yellow gillet and a face in a lot of pain:) :) :) :) :) the wheels looked very familiar to something in another thread hence my reasoning
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 am

dirty_harry wrote:.....did i see you riding along adelaide lobethal rd wed afternoon michael b yellow gillet and a face in a lot of pain:) :) :) :) :) the wheels looked very familiar to something in another thread hence my reasoning
Not me. My ride was Sunday. Blue Gillet, Argon18 bike, same pain (probably)

Yep, talking about same road. I worked out the 10% av. gradient based on altitude climb reported by the Garmin, not on observing the slope as I ground my way up (which sometimes showed 12 - 14%, but there are some shallower sections.

Meh, whatever it actually is, a steep grade with a headwind (and a strong one at that) it is a sod of a hill. 8)

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:45 pm

obviously not you then michael haha :)
regardless of gradient its damn steep by the looks, good fun coming down though i bet. the hairpin at the bottom would be very scary im sure will try it later this year after i have finished year 12 and have half a day to spare lol
neway
harry
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:06 pm

2 words........"Sheoak Road"

Upper Sturt, on the way through to Crafers, dead quiet road, and once you pass Pony Ridge Road and swing a left BANG, it throws down in your face a 20%+ pitch. The sign gives you a fair warning what your in for (check the link) but it's just to lure you in......
First you look and think....yeah, thats not so bad........and then BANG.............it really starts to buck, and before you know it your on such a slope your almost just riding on your back wheel. OUCH!!!!!

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 9,,0,13.09
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:52 pm

You're all stronger than me. I use my 34 front/30 rear for most of the way up to Mt Lofty.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

shiv

Postby shiv » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 pm

brettjames wrote:2 words........"Sheoak Road"

Upper Sturt, on the way through to Crafers, dead quiet road, and once you pass Pony Ridge Road and swing a left BANG, it throws down in your face a 20%+ pitch. The sign gives you a fair warning what your in for (check the link) but it's just to lure you in......
First you look and think....yeah, thats not so bad........and then BANG.............it really starts to buck, and before you know it your on such a slope your almost just riding on your back wheel. OUCH!!!!!

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 9,,0,13.09

Found this one on sunday while taking the family for a sunday drive (which is my excuse to go hunting for cool hills to climb). Our little Yaris was back in 2nd gear and struggling up it, having no run up speed didnt help though. Cant wait to tackle it on the bike now