Giant Fixed gear

brauluver

Re: Giant Fixed gear

Postby brauluver » Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 pm

ssingleton wrote:Finally went down to pickup my bowery mashup. Certinaly looks alot better than the photos on giant's web page. Will post some of my own pics when i get home.
Cool, can't wait to see em.
I'm waiting for my easton ea50 low risers and oury grips to arrive so i can hybridise mine.

ssingleton

Postby ssingleton » Thu May 07, 2009 8:17 am

Only had a few minutes to take a shot with my iphone will get the camera out and get some better shots.

One big difference from the pics on giants web site is mine came with a red chain the frame is a matte style grey. Only downside is the pedals/toe straps so i think that will be my first purchase.

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 am

What the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! is going on with brake levers?

I'm sorry, but they're horrible. Why wouldn't there be regular MTB levers on there instead of the awkward bullhorn mounted levers at the end of the flat bars...?

what the eff were Giant thinking?
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

rocketeer

Postby rocketeer » Thu May 07, 2009 10:26 am

They actually are quite easy to use. i think its a good idea, cos it gives you the option to change to bullhorn without having to buy new brakes.

Vivifyer

Postby Vivifyer » Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 am

rocketeer wrote:They actually are quite easy to use. i think its a good idea, cos it gives you the option to change to bullhorn without having to buy new brakes.
Id take that option, and change to some bullhorns ;)
=======================
Flickr Stream
DArt Gallery

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Thu May 07, 2009 12:32 pm

rocketeer wrote:They actually are quite easy to use. i think its a good idea, cos it gives you the option to change to bullhorn without having to buy new brakes.
Sounds pretty backwards to me... Why not just fit it with bullhorns to begin with?

yeah, yeah I know, people want bullhorns, or flat bars or drops and Giant can't please everyone (I know that on my fixed I ridden all three bar combos), but still, fitting it with awkward ugly impractical brakes because you might want to change to bullhorns is silly. What if you want drops on there?

It makes no sense.

jams

Postby jams » Thu May 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:
Sounds pretty backwards to me... Why not just fit it with bullhorns to begin with?

yeah, yeah I know, people want bullhorns, or flat bars or drops and Giant can't please everyone (I know that on my fixed I ridden all three bar combos), but still, fitting it with awkward ugly impractical brakes because you might want to change to bullhorns is silly. What if you want drops on there?

It makes no sense.
c'mon, its all about being unique, isn't that what the FG rider is looking for. Doesn't matter if it's arse-backwards, as long as its unique.
They clearly weren't thinking though when they made the flatbar that wide. :P

rocketeer

Postby rocketeer » Tue May 12, 2009 1:23 pm

ssingleton wrote:Only had a few minutes to take a shot with my iphone will get the camera out and get some better shots.
One big difference from the pics on giants web site is mine came with a red chain the frame is a matte style grey. Only downside is the pedals/toe straps so i think that will be my first purchase.
Any more pics ssingleton? and review?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu May 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Well, nail me up guys, cos i've hipsterised my Bowery.
Form and function though.I've been planning to change the riding position to something a little more upright for a while now.
So I went with the Easton Ea 50 Low rise bars and the ubiquitous Oury grips.Gotta say those grips deserve the good rep though, sticky as and quite spongy too.
Selle Italia saddle is stream lined but comfy enough for a 70k ride.

weight as is(sans pedals) 8.06 kg.
Last edited by brauluver on Thu May 14, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssingleton

Postby ssingleton » Thu May 14, 2009 8:07 pm

rocketeer wrote:
ssingleton wrote:Only had a few minutes to take a shot with my iphone will get the camera out and get some better shots.
Any more pics ssingleton? and review?

Yeah i have written a few notes up and pics i will post shortly just too busy so far this week so i will aim for the weekend.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Bowery's hipstered up nice Dave, the grips and tyres give a good contrast.

I hope you aint really running the levers that high tho', recipe for hand pain. Drop em to about 45 degress and you'll love 'em. :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat May 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Bowery's hipstered up nice Dave, the grips and tyres give a good contrast.

I hope you aint really running the levers that high tho', recipe for hand pain. Drop em to about 45 degress and you'll love 'em. :)

Shaun
Cheers Shaun,I'm taking the allen key with me on my shakedown run with this setup 2morrow, so i'll play with the levers as well as the stem height.

dave

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Mon May 18, 2009 4:01 pm

I had a set of Oury's on my fixed. Great grips, until summer comes and then they just get sweaty, sticky and gross.

jams

Postby jams » Mon May 18, 2009 4:28 pm

looking good brauluver.
Verbs & Nouns wrote:I had a set of Oury's on my fixed. Great grips, until summer comes and then they just get sweaty, sticky and gross.
yeah, the oury's do seem to hold onto any piece of grime that happens to be on your hand and there were a few summer days when i thought mine were getting a bit slippery.

numas

Postby numas » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:09 pm

I took one of these for a ride today and it was nice compared to the heavy MTB I have, really powers along.

I'm considering getting it because there's a place selling the '09 at pre fad prices. I tried the Schwinn but it seemed a bit heavy for my liking. There was another more expensive fixed gear there and it was comparable but it had better bits.

I'm wondering if the chrome on the forks/rear of this bike is actually what the whole frame is like as I'm considering stripping it back, BLING YOES!.. I also agree on the top bar slant being kinda ugly but if it rides well then I don't mind.

TBC.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Yeah go on get it you know you want to.
Not sure if it's chrome plated or just polished and clear coated ally.
The first ones back in 06 or 07 were polished ally http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/se ... sHamby.htm

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:43 am

I know someone already said Oury... but I am saying it again! There can't be a better way of bringing back childhood memories.

What you are missing out on is the fad of hanging 'dangly' trinkets from your seat. I don't quite get it however are seeing this more and more often. Wonder when we start seeing fluffy dice hanging off the back of the seat.

Pretty racy saddle
Cycling is in my BNA

numas

Postby numas » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Picked my Bowery up this week, it was still 30% off. Very happy with it so far. Much easier to roll around on than my heavy double suspension MTB. I like getting up to speed and then coasting... it seems so light compared.

I had to take the toe straps off as they are too small. The pedals also seem a bit small so I'm looking to change those soon. I was thinking about going for bullhorns but I'm getting use to the pursuit bars I think. I might put an extra brake up on the top near the neck though (run a cable through it).

Tried running it free and fixed. I put it back to free for now because I get to speeds where the gearing isn't doing much and rolling the pedals around seems a bit silly. Might look at putting a bigger gear on it perhaps.

I'm also toying with the idea of stripping it back to aluminium or making it all black, not sure yet.

Two thumbs up for me. I must have done about five times my usual monthly km's in the past three days.

I did test the Lager, Maddision some other brown one and the Specialized one. I preferred the weight and being able to throw this one about easily and pull the standard bits as I choose, plus the price :wink:

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:11 pm

Glade to hear you like the Bowery. I love riding my 08 model in flat black. It's my daily commute (10km p/day) plus I ride it on the weekend.
I'm running 46/17 on mine which lets me sit at a comforable 30-33 km p/h on the flat sections and I can climb easily with this setup.
For me I wouldn't go 16 on the back because it'd mean even slower starts from a standing position and even though I only cross 4 roads (rest on bike paths) on the way to work i wouldn't want to have to do it in a higher gear than I'm already doing it in.

The thing I find funny is they put a hole for the mud guard point at the bottom of the front forks but not on the back at the hozitonal brackets for the back wheel. It looks like there is enough space there you could drill hole where it should be. But then again I could just get a seat pole mounted mug guard and be done with it. :)

Interested to hear if anyone else has mud guards on their Bowery for those raining days.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 pm

brasstinman wrote: Interested to hear if anyone else has mud guards on their Bowery for those raining days.
I was running a full length chrome retro style on the front to keep my shoes and chain clean.
Toyed with the idea of drilling the rear fork ends to fit one up the back.
Never got around to it though.
Mine is currently going under the hammer to help fund a new roadie.
I've still got a Reynolds 531 Vintage track frame to play with down the track, and indulge my S/S personality.

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks for getting back to me brauluver.

I too am thinking of selling my Bowery, not because I'm unhappy with it but because I thought I had something lined up and I'd need the cash to fund the build. The bike fell through so until I find the same style frame again I'll be hanging onto my Bowery as I need it to get me to work and back. Don't want to ride the wife's bike to work like i did for a few months at the start of the year. It was hell on wheels.

Hide

Postby Hide » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:27 am

numas wrote:Picked my Bowery up this week, it was still 30% off.
Where did you get that?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:10 am

re mudguards - if you don't need to set trends you could think about plastic mtb mud guards. I usually just run a rear one myself that fits onto the seat tube. Easy and saves extra mounts.
Cycling is in my BNA

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:38 pm

AUbicycles wrote:re mudguards - if you don't need to set trends you could think about plastic mtb mud guards. I usually just run a rear one myself that fits onto the seat tube. Easy and saves extra mounts.
Planet Bike (I think) make SKS Raceblade-esque clips on full fenders (front and rear). My girlfriend got a set for $60 from Bio-Mechanics in Adelaide, which is about half the price of Raceblades and they are about $10 more than a seat post clip on Zefal Flamingo or whatever they're called. No drilling required and they fit on her track frame no problems. The clamp on to the seat stays and forks really easily and can be adjusted with a 10mm spanner.The front one didn't fit on the forks properly though... Damn track frames and their tight clearnaces.

Oh, and they're all black with silver struts. Very nice looking.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Sold mine today :cry:

Sad to let it go ,but I need the money to fund another purchase.