DiNotte Light- questions before purchase

jc64

DiNotte Light- questions before purchase

Postby jc64 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi, due to changes in my work hours I will have to ride at night to keep my time on the bike up. I've read heaps of light threads and want to get a set of the DiNotte lights rather than the Ay-ups. But....... how are DiNotte to deal with, replace and warranty issues? I'm a bit wary of going the O.S. lights just in case I get burnt(too much dosh to just chance it). I'll be riding only on road, unlit roads out of the city. Any help would be great as I've got approval from my wife to buy lights so better get them soon or minds may change:)

Aushiker

Re: DiNotte Light- questions before purchase

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:00 am

G'day

I haven't brought from them as yet, but Cavebear2 has. I far as I know he was happy with the purchase. I emailed them with a question and had a response within 24 hours.

Reports elsewhere are positive.

Regards
Andrew

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 am

I have the Dinotte tail light...they are well made and it has worked fine since purchase early in the year.

Is 3w so is extremely bright...I use it both in the dark and in the day and regularly get comments regarding its visibilty from a long distance even in bright sunlight. Has 3 'always on' modes (high. med and low) and 3 flashing modes.

I use rechargable batteries that last about 12 hours on the slowest flash mode. Ordinary AA's can be used in an emergency. The light was purchased from the Dinotte folk in the US and it arrived promptly. A friend also has one and has had it for much longer also without problems.

ps. I have AyUps on the front...

http://www.dinottelighting.com/Products.htm

Last edited by CoffsGal on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:28 am

I guess it's a case of how badly you want to tempt people to run you down. Cyclist seem to want to complain about the lack of due consideration shown to them by car drivers and then consider it some sort of right to shine high powered lights in people's faces.

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am

MountGower wrote:I guess it's a case of how badly you want to tempt people to run you down. Cyclist seem to want to complain about the lack of due consideration shown to them by car drivers and then consider it some sort of right to shine high powered lights in people's faces.
If adjusted correctly bright lights don't need to dazzle other road users. As shown in the photos, these tail lights are aimed towards the ground to create a red glow, rather than aimed at drivers eyes. Lights on any vehicle require the same adjustment.

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:12 pm

Hello Coof girl,

can I ask how much you payed for the Dinotte rear light.. I've Cygolite dual cross pro abd very impressed with the American stuff. Have good rear lights but after seeing yours it looks fantastic

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:49 pm

lgbran wrote:Hello Coof girl,

can I ask how much you payed for the Dinotte rear light.. I've Cygolite dual cross pro abd very impressed with the American stuff. Have good rear lights but after seeing yours it looks fantastic
Cost for the 140L-AA-R Taillight was $185 including $24 shipping (excluding AA batteries and charger)...That was in February when they were on special.

jc64

Postby jc64 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I went through the website and choose this light package. Dual 200L with taillight with shipping it comes to just under 520 dollars. Do you think this is overkill. Maybe the Ayup lights are just as competitive at this cost. The tailight looked fantastic by the way. I saw a demo on youtube, really visible which is great because the roads around here have no lighting for long periods.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:19 pm

jc64 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I went through the website and choose this light package. Dual 200L with taillight with shipping it comes to just under 520 dollars. Do you think this is overkill. Maybe the Ayup lights are just as competitive at this cost. The tailight looked fantastic by the way. I saw a demo on youtube, really visible which is great because the roads around here have no lighting for long periods.
Remember with the Dual 200L you will get 2 batteries, two head lights and 1 taillight. Not sure what Ayup kit you were looking at but the cheapest I could do it for was $676.50 + $15 shipping, Total $691.5 :shock:

Do you need two front lights? If not, you could pick up the tail light on sale, which comes with a battery and charger for $189.21, add a light engine (for the front) for $153.51 and a 4 cell battery for $83.30
Subtotal $426.02
Shipping $11.90
Total $437.92

a bit cheaper than your option but only comes with one front light.

It depends on what you need.
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:30 pm

jc64 wrote:Maybe the Ayup lights are just as competitive at this cost. The tailight looked fantastic by the way.
G'day

Ay-Ups are discussed here. It would be nice if we kept the Ay-Up discussion over there so it is easier to follow and find again.

Regards
Andrew

jc64

Postby jc64 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:25 pm

thanks that is a good idea casual cyclist

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:13 pm

jc64 wrote:thanks that is a good idea casual cyclist
No worries. I keep trying to find a better deal that those Dinottes. I have found anything that appeals to me more in terms of price or performance yet.

Cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

dr.gonzo

Postby dr.gonzo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:
jc64 wrote:Maybe the Ayup lights are just as competitive at this cost. The tailight looked fantastic by the way.
G'day

Ay-Ups are discussed here. It would be nice if we kept the Ay-Up discussion over there so it is easier to follow and find again.

Regards
Andrew
just cant help yourself..
If only i could find a Miniature Mongolian Swamp Donkey!

09 Giant TCR Avanced
05 Giant CRX1 - With Carbon Goodies
oh & a sweet Dragster...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 pm

dr.gonzo wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
G'day

Regards
Andrew
just cant help yourself..
Actually Andrew is being helpful by trying to stop another lighting thread degenerating into "Ayups mate, 'nuff said". There actually are other light manufacturers out there :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

jc64

Postby jc64 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 pm

Alright I've read a heap of stuff and I've had enough, I'm going to buy dual 400l dinottes on sale now for 450 dollars. This means I'll need a taillight or two. From what I've read there are some rippers out there for not too much money. Which will be good as the lights will prevent spending for some time :shock:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:40 pm

jc64 wrote:Alright I've read a heap of stuff and I've had enough, I'm going to buy dual 400l dinottes on sale now for 450 dollars. This means I'll need a taillight or two. From what I've read there are some rippers out there for not too much money. Which will be good as the lights will prevent spending for some time :shock:
Dinotte emailed me last week that the sale on the dual 400L is ending this week. I would be interested to hear what you think of them when you get them.

Cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:13 pm

CoffsGal wrote:
MountGower wrote:I guess it's a case of how badly you want to tempt people to run you down. Cyclist seem to want to complain about the lack of due consideration shown to them by car drivers and then consider it some sort of right to shine high powered lights in people's faces.
If adjusted correctly bright lights don't need to dazzle other road users. As shown in the photos, these tail lights are aimed towards the ground to create a red glow, rather than aimed at drivers eyes. Lights on any vehicle require the same adjustment.
+1
With the light aims downward, it does create a huge glow on the ground. In my experience drivers do give you wider berth as they approach you.

jc64

Postby jc64 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Well ordered the lights now the waiting begins. I'm going to go into the LBS to sniff out the best value taillight i can get for now. I'll let you know how the lights go. Cheers :)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:15 am

CoffsGal wrote:
lgbran wrote:Hello Coof girl,

Cost for the 140L-AA-R Taillight was $185 including $24 shipping (excluding AA batteries and charger)...That was in February when they were on special.
I am thinking about picking up a tail light and was wondering how bright on the medium setting. Is it still pretty bright on the road?

Cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:14 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
CoffsGal wrote: Cost for the 140L-AA-R Taillight was $185 including $24 shipping (excluding AA batteries and charger)...That was in February when they were on special.
I am thinking about picking up a tail light and was wondering how bright on the medium setting. Is it still pretty bright on the road?

Cheers

Greg
Not sure how to qauntify the brightness, but meduim power is probably about half as bright as full power, and still provides a noticable glow on the road...I rarely use the high, med and low option though...I use one of the three flashing mode which is at the same brightness level as high, but extends the battery life and in my opinion makes the light more noticeable. In the dark I aim the light towards the ground and in the day I have it horizontal to make it more visible to vehicles approaching from behind. At no time would it be so bright as to cause discomfort to other road users.

Emma

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:02 pm

CoffsGal wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
CoffsGal wrote: Cost for the 140L-AA-R Taillight was $185 including $24 shipping (excluding AA batteries and charger)...That was in February when they were on special.

Cheers

Greg
Not sure how to qauntify the brightness, but meduim power is probably about half as bright as full power, and still provides a noticable glow on the road...I rarely use the high, med and low option though...I use one of the three flashing mode which is at the same brightness level as high, but extends the battery life and in my opinion makes the light more noticeable. In the dark I aim the light towards the ground and in the day I have it horizontal to make it more visible to vehicles approaching from behind. At no time would it be so bright as to cause discomfort to other road users.

Emma
Cheers. I am just figuring out the configuration I want now. Dinotte have so many options I can get exactly what I want, if I can figure out what that is :roll:
<removed by request>

jc64

Postby jc64 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:42 pm

Well I've had the lights for a while now and these are my impressions thus far.
Pros- Bright, easily enough light for road riding with just the handlebar light on. However venture off road and helmet light is a must for corners.
Well made, sturdy feel to the light head and brackets.
Weighs very little, helmet feels pretty good after getting a feel for it.
Replied to all emails i sent. Have had no problems with the lights yet so can't really say how warranty is though.
I think good value two battery's, two light heads and various cables and bits provide good variety. Heaps of brackets to get mounting right.
Cons- No quick release for handlebar, I can live with helmet not having this but bars are giving me the irrits. I knew this when I bought them though :|
Changing bracket orietation is a bit time consuming will not be doing this on the fly, very minor quibble.
Company in America distance means longer to resolve problems i suppose.
I haven't used the lights as much as I would have liked thus far due to impending fatherhood meaning lots of time going to appointments and classes on top of work, so I will need more time to iron out any problems that may yet arise. However I have to say at the moment these things are great. Cheers. Any thoughts on a quickrelease hack for the bar light bracket would be great, I know one day I'll forget a screwdriver going to work.