Hold the Mayo!

senator52

Hold the Mayo!

Postby senator52 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:36 pm

Looks like doping might have taken another scalp, we'll have to wait and see what the B sample says, but tell me would anyone be surprised...

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/13018.0.html

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:22 pm

Good that they are getting these guys. More the merrier. Hopefully next year's Tour would be a much cleaner affair, let alone the 2008 Olympics.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:30 pm

They've made some sizeable inroads into the problem this year. The confirmed cheats from other teams must be starting to feel the pressure now.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:51 pm

Yes, withdrawing the whole team is a good one. It would mean that no one gets any prizes and the time gets wasted. Some proper peer pressure is good.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:54 pm

I do support leaving the rabobank team in, when they sacked Rasmussen, because that team had tried their hearts out for him...and he wasnt officially caught doping, maybe rabobank wanted to steer clear from another Floyd fiasco.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:57 pm

I can understand Rabobank as Ras wasn't exactly caught. He was kicked out on the basis of highly suspicious circumstances. As for Cofidis' withdraw, it's a good move.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:00 am

That's three positives and one shifty IIRC, out of how many starters? Either the race is cleaner than the mass media makes it out or there's some bloody good masking agents doing the rounds...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

senator52

Postby senator52 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:06 am

Unfortunately though, if it is a clean(er) race, you can see how useful the doping products are, if you dope, you become famous, win stacks, earn heaps of money and those who race clean, scrape a living...

europa

Postby europa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:12 am

senator52 wrote:Unfortunately though, if it is a clean(er) race, you can see how useful the doping products are, if you dope, you become famous, win stacks, earn heaps of money and those who race clean, scrape a living...
Not for much longer.

Richard

senator52

Postby senator52 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:16 am

Fingers crossed! Sinkewitz didnt bother with his B sample so I guess that means he admits to doping...a start if anything.

europa

Postby europa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:24 am

As someone has pointed out, they're only catching old blokes now ... which leads to the hope that the new generation is clean.

I'd still like to know if the bulge in Contador's nix was natural or a turbocharger :shock:

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:34 am

:shock: Weeeell some of us don't watch "Le Tour" for the nixbulges.

Riding with Disco boys couldn't hurt.

Shaun

strange how catching dopers is seen as somehow negative...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

senator52

Postby senator52 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:43 am

Scroll half way down...Contador has been contentious at best, maybe something will come of this?

http://velonews.com/race/int/articles/13016.0.html

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 am

senator52 wrote:Scroll half way down...Contador has been contentious at best, maybe something will come of this?

http://velonews.com/race/int/articles/13016.0.html
So Evan's may still win
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa

Postby europa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 am

Quoting from that article
Doping expert levels charges against Contador
A leading German expert in the fight against doping claimed Monday to have evidence indicating that Tour de France winner Alberto Contador had used drugs.

Twenty-four hours after the Spaniard donned the winner's yellow jersey on the Champs Élysées the expert, Werner Franke, described the 24-year-old's victory as "the greatest swindle in sporting history."

Franke bases his claim on documents he says are in his possession from the Spanish police's Operación Puerto inquiry into Eufemiano Fuentes, the doctor said to have masterminded doping programs for athletes. Contador was cleared last year by both Spanish investigators and the UCI.

"The name of this Mr Contador appears on several occasions on the court and police documents," Franke told German television station ZDF. "All of this has been simply concealed and hidden under the carpet whilst the name Contador was erased from the list of suspicious riders."

Franke claimed to have a detailed list of banned products used by Contador which appear in sworn statements following the raid on Fuentes' medical practice.

"He took insulin, HMG-Lepori, a hormone to stimulate the secretion of testosterone and also a product for asthma called TGN - in brief I have before my eyes a protocol for doping," he told ZDF.

"All of this has been covered up, at least in Spain," added Franke.

Contador, who inherited the lead in the Tour de France last week upon Michael Rasmussen's expulsion in a dispute over missed drug tests, denied he'd had any links with Fuentes' drugs program.

Speaking after Saturday's penultimate time-trial in Angouleme about why his name had been linked to Fuentes he told reporters: "I was in the wrong team at the wrong time and somehow my name got among the documents, but the UCI corrected the mistake and now I've got no link to Puerto."
On the surface, this appears bleak, but you have to ask why he was cleared by both the Spaniards and the UCI. That investigation hasn't been averse to canning big name riders so why would they clear a young rider who was basically unknown at the time, unless he was in fact clean. Bit of sour grapes perhaps? On the other hand, every performance in the tour that appeared to be above the rider's natural abilities has proven to be un-natural so ...

For myself, I'm going maintain my naivite and assume he's clean until proven otherwise - I think that is the path to greatest sanity, even though it does leave me open to disappointment.

Richard

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:25 am

sogood wrote:Good that they are getting these guys. More the merrier. Hopefully next year's Tour would be a much cleaner affair, let alone the 2008 Olympics.
if cycling has a future in the Olympics.
http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/news/a ... 986.0.html

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:13 pm

tallywhacker wrote:if cycling has a future in the Olympics.
http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/news/a ... 986.0.html
Swimming stayed so I don't see any reason why cycling wouldn't.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 pm

Heck they still have boxing at the Olympics
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:39 pm

its been a while since we've had a good juicy doping contoversy in a sport other than cycling

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:57 pm

tallywhacker wrote:its been a while since we've had a good juicy doping contoversy in a sport other than cycling
It's only a sensation if it's around a major event such as the Olympics. The last nice one was during the Winter Olympics when the (?)Austrian cross country skiers got booted off.

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:38 pm

Meanwhile the Floyd Landis case from last year hasn't officially been finalised yet.