All Hobartians!!

RobRollin

All Hobartians!!

Postby RobRollin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:46 pm

This Sat it is Fine and 17, anyone interested in going for a ride. We are leaving from the Cenotaph mid morning for a 40-50k ride and finishing at Salamanca.

Where: Cenotaph
Finish: Salamanca
When Saturday
Weather: 17 and fine
Distance: 40-50ks

Rob Cumine

Mexican

Re: All Hobartians!!

Postby Mexican » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi,

I'm down in Hobart in a couple of weeks and am wondering whether there's a group ride happening on a Sunday anywhere?

I'm looking for a group ride because I'd like navigation tips and there's safety in numbers. I'm riding A grade crits and in Melbourne and would normally be doing 100-180km on a Sunday.

Any suggestions? Anywhere to be avoided?

I was thinking of a round trip from Rose Bay to 1) Mt Wellington or 2) Kettering area (via Tinderbox) or both.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Howdy Mexican :)

There are usually a fair few people about on a Sunday, particularly around the city and northern suburbs. Not sure whether there are many group/shop rides etc on Sundays, but you could try ringing a couple of the bike shops - Ken Self Cycles are good guys, as are Ride in Bellerieve and the CBD.

Other than that, I reckon Mt Wellington is a ride everyone should do at least once - but it's no fun unless the weather is good - and the forecast doesn't look fantastic at the moment. Hobart-Margate-Sandfly-Fern Tree-Hobart is a popular circuit of about 50Km - gives you a taste of the views and climbs of Mt Wellington but without getting into the alpine zone ;) You can throw in a loop of the Tinderbox peninsular by turning left onto Beach Road at Kingston, then rejoining the Channel Highway at Howrah - a three Km stretch of Tinderbox Road is unsealed but rideable on a road bike, provided you're careful and don't mind getting the bike a bit dusty. Nice views of Bruny Island and the coast around Margate, Kettering etc from the southern tip of the peninsular, and terrific views of South Arm and the Tasman Peninsular out to the east. The Channel Highway south of Margate is also good... you can do a complete circuit of the Channel Highway by continuing down through Kettering to Cygnet then up to Huonville, rejoining Huon Road at Lower Longley - which is a great ride but a bit epic because of the length and a couple of biggish climbs as you come out of the Huon Valley then up the Mt Wellington foothills to Fern Tree.

One word of warning in this area though - the Channel Highway between Kingston and Margate, and Sandfly Road between Margate and Longley are home to some of the world's most dangerous drivers... I've rarely ridden there without being elbow-shaved by someone in a white ute or 4WD towing a boat at 100Kmph. It pays to be very aware of what's approaching from behind; I generally move 50cm to the right as they approach, then move left again as they pass; so if they misjudge the 15cm allowance I don't get taken out by their boat trailer.

Another option is to ride up Argyle or Elizabeth St through Hobart, then follow Main Road out to Bridgewater, cross the bridge and ride along Bowen Road to New Norfolk - not much traffic on a Sunday and another scenic ride up the Derwent Valley. Most group rides would tend to be in this area rather than further south IME.

Of course, another option is to string all of the above together for a 200Km+ epic, including climb of Mt Wellington ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Jonny Rochester

Postby Jonny Rochester » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi all. I just joined the forum.

I just got my road bike late last year and have been slowly getting into it. I don't know of any competitions and I wouldn't be fit for that, but I am keen for group rides. But 100km may be a bit too epic for me at the moment, (although I used to do that in high school).

Today I rode to the top of Mt. Wellington from West Hobart via Strickland Ave. It was a perfect day for the climb up. Snow at the top. The road was actually closed, but the council workers didn't say anything. But I needed 1st gear all the way, 34 x 25. And even then I had to drop my pedaling speed. I would be interested in what speed a strong rider can maintain up there.

Going down I made the mistake of not having full fingered gloves. My fingers nearly froze and I had to stop several times, not pleasent. Toes also got a bit too cold.

mathewnicholls

Postby mathewnicholls » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:30 am

I've only ridden up once (a few Saturday's ago)... If you look at the past Mt Wellington Challenges you can see the riders times/average speeds: http://www.cyclingsouth.org/images/stor ... ults09.pdf

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:23 am

Hi Jonny and Matthew

Jonny if you were able to ride up Mt Wellington, you are already one up on me, I am yet to ride Mt Wellington but very keen to meet that challenge.

I go for a ride most nights leaving from town to top of Cadbury's and back again, sometimes top of Ten Mile Hill. I ride in the mornings as well leaving at 630ish maybe twice a week.

Saturdays there is a longer ride of 50kms, out to Granton and back from the Cenotaph. Mostly it is a casual ride, if you can maintain 28-32kmh you would be fine. Also riding in a bunch is a lot more enjoyable than riding by yourself. You can suck a wheel if you get tired. we usually have a go up Ten Mile Hill and Cadburys for a bit of fun and wait at the top.

4pm Saturday avos there is a casual ride from Ken Self Cycles, 25kmh avg. Nice ride for a chat and get to know other riders etc.

if you want to catch up for a ride then PM me and I will give you my mobile number.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:24 pm

G'day Rob, just curious about your regular rides. I live out of town (Tasman Peninsula), work every second weekend and can't get to regular riding sessions. Would the group be accommodating to an occasional visitor? Oh, I've also never ridden in a bunch, am heading towards 40, and ride a late 80's steel bike with downtube shifters. I can however maintain 30km/hr over the described distances.

If suitable, I'll be in touch when next the stars align and I can be in the right place at the right time.
LG = Low Gear

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:02 pm

G'Day LG

Everyone is welcome, to join us for a ride. We dont have any set limits or you have to be a Euro racer etc like some groups. Just come along, I know a guy who occasionally rides a fixie. Drop us a line I've sent you a pm with my mobile number. If you want to meet for a ride send me a text and if we are out I will let you know.

LG

Postby LG » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Just a quick update, caught up with Rob for a ride on the weekend for the first time. Well worth doing with a nice ride atmosphere to Granton & back from the cenotaph. :D Also good to put a face to a web username. I'd like to recommend anyone contemplating a casual group ride to get in touch with Rob, and I'll be doing the same again when I next get a chance. Be nice to meet other BNA posters as time permits.
LG = Low Gear