The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

RobRollin

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby RobRollin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Last night was bad conditions, headwind and rain. Still managed an avg of 27kmh in 55mins. This morning again a headwind, managed another 27kms in 58mins then got a puncture. Riding conditions this week are attrocious, rain forecast everyday and wind. I dont mind training in the rain, I seem to be able to produce some good Avg speeds.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm

2 x 20-min TTIs again today. Last Wed in the park I did 275W & 277W.

Today was raining and both my road bikes happened to be in the shop for some work, so it was onto Thunderbird 7 (my ergo trainer) for the TTIs today.
TTI 1: 277W
TTI 2: 288W
Yikes that 2nd one was 'ard. Final 10-min average was 292W. :shock:
TSB today was -26 TSS/day

Couple of endurance rides tomorrow/thurs and then scheduled to race the track on Friday night (although for personal reasons I may not be able to get to the racing this week).

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:29 am

Went out this morning, got a PB in the sprint, 47.2kmh.

Kms: 39.98
Time 1hr 24mins
Avg 27.13kmh.
Max Speed 47.2kmh (Sprint)
Cadence 71
Avg Heart Rate 138
Max Heart Rate 182
1802 calories.

Grant W

Postby Grant W » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:25 pm

Just got back from riding as follows;
Distance 65km home over Razorback (new road) and back
Time 1:53min
Ave speed 32km/h
Fastest speed 68km/h down Old razorback (not the whole way just a few hundred meters)
Up New Razorback with an ave speed of 23km/h
Post ride condition FUKCDE :mrgreen:

Abuse by motorist- Why is it that it is always P platers with friends or the typical overweight red neck in the VK commadore doing the abusing.

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Did Akuna to West Head via McCarrs Crk Rd, out to West Head and back up Akuna West (MWCC Road course).

Loving the newly sealed road to West Head, for those that haven't ridden it, it rolls perfectly like a billard table. I found it interesting that I was 2 minutes (exactly) slower over the TT course than last week (I deliberately "sat up" rather than went "aero", I aint aero), the wattage was the same today but my legs felt much better this week, Probably down to it being 6 degrees last week, felt much fresher today at the end though.

Cruised down and through Akuna and up the West side climb, i knew it was steep but forgot how steep it was at the bottom, still rode up it at a good tempo pace. Quite happy with the ride, it must be a great road race course.

Great day for a ride, nice temperature and not a cloud around, plenty of riders out and about too.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:20 pm

Kms: 54.92
Time: 02:15:56

Avg Speed 25.83kmh
Max Speed 66.94kmh
Cadence 58.4kmh
Avg Heart Rate 128bpm
Max Heart Rate 174bpm
2467 Calories

Headwind of 35-40kmh. Was a tough headwind, great for strength work but the legs are tired and sore.

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:30 pm

^^
yeah bit of wind up this way aswell around 35kph :(

did 68km today at a average of 29.1kph my heart rate seemed fairly low for most of the ride apart from a couple little efforts

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:30 pm

RobRollin wrote:Kms: 54.92
Time: 02:15:56

Avg Speed 25.83kmh
Max Speed 66.94kmh
Cadence 58.4kmh
Avg Heart Rate 128bpm
Max Heart Rate 174bpm
2467 Calories

Headwind of 35-40kmh. Was a tough headwind, great for strength work but the legs are tired and sore.
FYI, there is no way that is 2467 kcal worth of work.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:19 am

3 x 20min today...medium intensity supposedly...but at 286av,310av & 300av...they took a bit of commitment...very glad I have no racing this weekend as I need the rest...only 3 or 4 races left then set my coach the challenge of getting me close to 400w FTP and set myself the challenge of droping to sub 85kgs....4.5w per kilo is within reach if I knuckle down over winter :lol: ....hey one can dream right :D ....ps also chucked in 6 sprint efforts on the way home...keeping them much shorter worked :wink: .

Grant W

Postby Grant W » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:36 pm

You guy's with power meters sure know how to make a bloke feel old fashioned :oops:

todays ride 95km
first 30km on the TT bike, medium intensity (still trying to get used to the new riding position) undulating course.
Then 65km on the road bike, medium intensity out and over old Razorback and home.

Just under 3 hours

Ave speed 31.9km/hr

Can not believe how much the two bikes differ, Hardly pushing the pedals and the HR skyrockets on the TTb.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Grant W wrote:Can not believe how much the two bikes differ, Hardly pushing the pedals and the HR skyrockets on the TTb.
The TT position can elevate HR. What matters of course is whether it is affecting your speed.
Grant W wrote:You guy's with power meters sure know how to make a bloke feel old fashioned :oops:
Yeah, distance and time are old skool :lol:

It's TSS nowdays.

Me today:
3hrs and change
95km (Waterfall)
206 TSS
2053 kJ (at the wheel)

Yesterday a good solid 2.5 hrs (Kurnell) and on Friday night I started RAW track racing at DGV.

So the build over past month looks like this:

Which equates to a CTL ramp rate of 6.3 TSS/day per week. That's young blokes territory :shock: :lol:

I do some performance testing this week coming. Will see how the leg(s) pull up....

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:43 pm

toolonglegs wrote:set myself the challenge of droping to sub 85kgs
I have a picture of myself from 84kg - the anorexic skinny person photo.

Must.... lose.... weight.... :roll:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:17 pm

twizzle wrote:

So what are you doing about it?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:21 pm

I have a photo of me at 88kgs...and have some soon to be (at the time) pro tour riders in my team :D ....only 9 years ago! :lol:
70km today...just a bit of fun!.
TSS 143
2hours34min
2055kj
Starting to get some feelings (other than wood) in my legs!.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:13 am

And I still moan about being a bit over 65kg :D

Weather forecast: Rain, rain, rain, rain etc. Better enjoy it while it lasts, I have some unpleasant memories of weather north of 40 degrees celcius.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Ant. wrote:
FYI, there is no way that is 2467 kcal worth of work.[/quote]

Depends on weight of the rider and how much effort is required to ride the distance/time etc wouldn't it? My Edge 705 doesn't lie! Wouldn't suprise me if the 705 work on averages but it would be accurate to an extent.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:24 pm

RobRollin wrote:
RobRollin wrote:Headwind of 35-40kmh. Was a tough headwind, great for strength work but the legs are tired and sore.
Ant. wrote: FYI, there is no way that is 2467 kcal worth of work.
Depends on weight of the rider and how much effort is required to ride the distance/time etc wouldn't it?
Yes, it does and a larger/heavier rider would generate more absolute power for the same overall average speed (given wind/variable terrain etc) and therefore have a greater overall energy usage, although effort level (from a PE perspective) doesn't determine power output/energy usage as that's relative to a sensation, not an absolute power level.
RobRollin wrote:My Edge 705 doesn't lie! Wouldn't suprise me if the 705 work on averages but it would be accurate to an extent.
Unfortunately, like many HR monitors and other bike computers that don't measure power, the Garmin typically overestimates calorie usage, often by up to 1/3rd or more.

I wouldn't trust the calorie numbers from any Garmin or HR monitor unless it was obtaining that data from a power meter. Even then one needs to sure about BMR and an individual's average gross efficiency levels in order to convert work done into calories metabolised.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:30 pm

I was pleased to find that my HRM underestimated my Kcals by quite a bit on my slower rides,it starts to go the other way the higher the pace was.Maybe because it does go by HR,as when I look at a training file while using power meter my whole ride (depending on ride) can be done while my heart rate never leaves the recovery zone where as I can be putting out power in higher zones.
Yes it does depend on weight of rider / conditions etc....but me being in the upper end of the weight scale I still have to work pretty hard ie:one hour at ftp to put out 1300Kj per hour.
So to do 2467 Calories 02h15m you would have to be close to 100kgs ? and working at very close to threshold ? ...128av HR doesn't sound very high...I have no doubt it was a hard ride but experience has now shown me that the calculations they use to get their figures are not very accurate in reality.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
twizzle wrote:

So what are you doing about it?
Praying for the weather to warm up so I can ride more at the same time hoping my grumpy hunger at home doesn't get me stabbed to death by the children.

75km at 30kph average this morning, bonked badly in the last half hour as I'd only planned & provisioned for a 45km ride.

Loooong way to go with the weight. The first 20kg was easy. :roll:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Not training news...well sort of :roll: ...last night (Sunday) I got my wife to ring the DS of a new club in the region...my French is ok but I struggle on the phone.She said I wasn't happy with my club and was interested in changing to a club which only focused on racing.He said he would be round in 5 minutes :shock: ...he was and the deal is done :D ...as of September I have a new club and training partners who are strong enough to bury me in a deep hole!...instead of having to wait so much for people to catch up that I give up riding with them!.If I ever manage to drop some of the guys who turn up to this clubs rides I will be asking to join their team...a certain red wearing french pro tour team :D .

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm 107kgs at the moment trying to get back down to sub 90's. On Saturday we were riding into 30-35kmh winds so it was hard work! Toughest part of the climb of Ten Mile Hill reached 10%.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:56 pm

RobRollin wrote:I'm 107kgs at the moment trying to get back down to sub 90's. On Saturday we were riding into 30-35kmh winds so it was hard work! Toughest part of the climb of Ten Mile Hill reached 10%.
Well at that weight 1000 Kcals an hour isn't very hard to imagine :D ...if you were digging deep :D .

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
RobRollin wrote:I'm 107kgs at the moment trying to get back down to sub 90's. On Saturday we were riding into 30-35kmh winds so it was hard work! Toughest part of the climb of Ten Mile Hill reached 10%.
Well at that weight 1000 Kcals an hour isn't very hard to imagine :D ...if you were digging deep :D .
~ 2.6W/kg might put it into some perspective.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Today I did a TT test: 10-mile/16km TT - 4 laps of Sydney's Centennial Park (undulating course)
Well it's actually a bit shorter than that at 15.3km.

Road bike (no TT rig at the mo).

299W for 24:29 (37.4 km/h)
Peak 20-min: 301W
CTL: 69
TSB: -31 :shock:

That's 92% of pre-accident PB power (326W) on same course.

:D :D :D

MAP test Thursday.

othy

Postby othy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:36 pm

Nice work Alex. I really need to get to Centennial park and do a TT to benchmark myself. I don't do enough regular testing to see how I progress.

The only one I have is when I first started cycling I did a 3 mile test in the park - here are my training notes on it -
15/01/2008
"Laps at Centennial Park with 3 mile in 9:30 (2.4 kg backpack, slight headwind)"
I remember the day well, as after I did that 3 miles I had to sit on the grass feeling ill for a good 15 minutes. All for an average speed of 30.49 km/h. I am going to go back and smash that time this week.

As for training this week, last night was on the motorpace. Ramping up from 40 km/h to 52 km/h over 15 minutes my HR steadily rose from 164 to 187 and then I went pop.