Giant Defy Alliance Comp vs Avanti Giro

bella26

Giant Defy Alliance Comp vs Avanti Giro

Postby bella26 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 am

Hiya,

I've been looking at buying a road bike to complement training for the mountain bike tracks - budget of 2k. I've done a bit of research trolling these forums in the last few weeks and visited a few LBS yesterday to see the bikes in the flesh and get a bit more info on them. I've narrowed the list down to the following:

Avanti Giro 2009 - reduced from 2300 to 1900
Giant Defy Alliance Comp 2009 - reduced from 2800 to 1950

I must admit the Avanti Giro wasn't initially on my list but I was pointed in that direction in two stores. The component build is pretty spot on with full shimano 105 running gear, carbon forks and seat stays. Being a girl however I will need the handlebars swapped out, a shorter stem and a new saddle. I was told that these swap outs would be additional as the price is already reduced by $400. The store selling the Giant has said they will be happy to swap out these components with no extra cost. Spec wise they are pretty similar - I think the GIant does use Sora brakes - the giro uses 105 - although I think the Mavic wheels are better than those offered on the Giro.

One of the salesmen for the Avanti (a store directly competing to Giant) mentioned that the Giant Defy Alliance Comp had a flawed frame due to the way Giant have used a blend of Alloy and Carbon. I guess my question is whether anyone else has heard of this and also is there anyone who owns the Giant who can give me any pointers. Obviously I don't want to splash out the cash on the Giant only to find the frame is suspect.

I was also told that 2010 models would be about 25% cheaper than the 2009 models and the new Giant will be out sometime in Spring. Does anyone know when the new Avanti is due out? I won't be purchasing until sept so am wondering whether I should just wait out for the new models arrive.

Thanks for your advice and help with this one.

Bella.
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

waynohh

Re: Giant Defy Alliance Comp vs Avanti Giro

Postby waynohh » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 am

I'd definitely be going to the giant dealer. The avanti dealer sounds like they not trying to help you out at all.

stutopia

Postby stutopia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:07 pm

i have just bought the giant defy alliance sport for 1600. it didn,t have 105 gear but i,m happy anyway as i think it,s a bargin i was worried about the the frame, As you read on sites that other brands have frame problems but i couldn,t find anything about this bike so i just asked the bikedude if the frame was under warranty and he said a life time one came with it so i think if they can do that then i,m covered. In the end i think you just have to get the one you like.

provoked

Postby provoked » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Lol - flawed? Sounds as if Giant "accidently" mixed carbon and alloy on their frames.

I own a Giant - can't complain. If it wasn't for the help the Giant dealer is giving you then I'd say go for the giro (was on my list too - real nice bike). Although, it sounds like the giant dealer is prepared to offer that extra little service to get you fitted to the bike which will make a world of difference when your out there.

Good luck either way!
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

rocketeer

Postby rocketeer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:38 pm

I have an 08 OCR Alliance Comp (name change to Defy for 09) so essentially the same bike. I am 6'3 and 100 odd kg. No problems yet with the frame at all. And the shop i bought it from also swapped the head stem for me at no cost, and replaced a shifter cable for me at no cost when i overshifted the big ring and stuffed it in my first week.

LBS was Ivanhoe Cycles, not affiliated, but have bought 2 bikes now from them, and will buy my 3rd from them too, when I decide I need it :) Great LBS

So yeah, go the Giant.

bella26

Postby bella26 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:08 am

Hi Everyone and thanks for all the advice.

I went to my LBS yesterday and walked out with a Giant TCR Alliance 2. They didn't have the alliance comp in my size so I was happy to upgrade to the TCR Alliance as it has full shimano 105 componentry. I got a great deal as well - $2099 down from $3000. Now I just need to wait for these galeforced winds to die down here in the snowies so I can take it out for it's maiden journey!
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:20 pm

I would suggest to have a look (AT) Kona Zing - same specs if better than other bikes listed here

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:17 pm

went to my LBS yesterday and walked out with a Giant TCR Alliance 2. They didn't have the alliance comp in my size so I was happy to upgrade to the TCR Alliance as it has full shimano 105 componentry. I got a great deal as well - $2099 down from $3000. Now I just need to wait for these galeforced winds to die down here in the snowies so I can take it out for it's maiden journey!
It sounds like you got a good deal. Does 'full 105 componentry' include brakes? I was in a Giant shop in the ACT yesterday and was a bit dismayed to see a number of bikes in the $2K range wearing Sora brakes.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:01 pm

What is the differance in brakes? do they clamp better, weight or something?
Just wanting to know

provoked

Postby provoked » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:35 pm

They should be 105 brakes - mine are.
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:53 pm

What is the differance in brakes? do they clamp better, weight or something?
Just wanting to know
I'm supposing weight & bling factor.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:03 pm

bella26 wrote:Hi Everyone and thanks for all the advice.

I went to my LBS yesterday and walked out with a Giant TCR Alliance 2. They didn't have the alliance comp in my size so I was happy to upgrade to the TCR Alliance as it has full shimano 105 componentry. I got a great deal as well - $2099 down from $3000. Now I just need to wait for these galeforced winds to die down here in the snowies so I can take it out for it's maiden journey!

good work - giants are solid bikes (their frames are definately not flawed) and the avanti dealer sounded like a tosser.

bella26

Postby bella26 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:22 am

Fletcher wrote:
went to my LBS yesterday and walked out with a Giant TCR Alliance 2. They didn't have the alliance comp in my size so I was happy to upgrade to the TCR Alliance as it has full shimano 105 componentry. I got a great deal as well - $2099 down from $3000. Now I just need to wait for these galeforced winds to die down here in the snowies so I can take it out for it's maiden journey!
It sounds like you got a good deal. Does 'full 105 componentry' include brakes? I was in a Giant shop in the ACT yesterday and was a bit dismayed to see a number of bikes in the $2K range wearing Sora brakes.
Yes 105 brakes as well. The giant defy alliance comp did only come with the sora brakes though.

Incidentally I purchased my bike from the ACT - the bike shed in civic - so you may want to check them out if you're after a similar deal. I had nothing but exceptional service and the price did include a full fitting.

Have only managed the one ride so far and am loving the bike already. having only ridden mountain bikes in the past I was pleasantly surprised with the way the TCR rides - feels effortless and so responsive to putting the power down. Hoping to go for a longer ride this weekend.

Mattsbike

Postby Mattsbike » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:32 am

Another very satisfied TCR Alliance owner here. They are impressive bikes and you get plenty of bang for your buck. I have heard Giants equated with Toyotas as they are so common, but they are great bikes to start out on. I may consider something a little more exotic (mmm...pinarellos are pretty!) when it comes time to upgrade the frame.

Bella, I am sure you will have many thousands of kilometres of enjoyment on the new steed. Enjoy!

Matt
Matt