Eating properly

Wayfarer

Re: Eating properly

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:32 pm

whitty wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:since you're amped to lose weight, i'll recommend you what i say to all my clients at uni who're decently willing to try to lose weight. eat 4 weetbix with muesli on top (fruit free, just for extra flavour) for breakfast, and drop beer and coffee..

one clients already lost 10kg
Dropping beer and coffee? Sounds like one of those fad diets on daytime TV ;)
sounds like plain old fashioned common sense. you only do get one body.
What are these salesmen peddling?

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:44 pm

why drop coffea,, understand dropping beer.. surelly black coffa..no sugar or coffea with low eat milk and sugarine tablet can't be that bad... best way to loose weight is see adecnt nutitionist who will cater and individal lifestyle change for you

bennysthe1

Postby bennysthe1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:14 pm

From what I have researched, a cup of instant coffee has about 50 calories including milk (no sugar) and A low carb mid strength beer has 90 calories. Wheres the harm in that ?

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:02 pm

in the weight loss programmes i've been doing on clients at uni, this one lady did 4 hours of yoga (ugh) every week, then went out and drunk one cup of coffee with her mates.

just that one cup resulted in 1kg weight gain in under three months. if you weigh yourself every day, you'll see if your body is getting heavier, lighter, or plateu'ed. the biggest mistake nutritionists do is to forget to check how your weight is going before starting a diet program.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Wayfarer wrote:in the weight loss programmes i've been doing on clients at uni, this one lady did 4 hours of yoga (ugh) every week, then went out and drunk one cup of coffee with her mates.

just that one cup resulted in 1kg weight gain in under three months. if you weigh yourself every day, you'll see if your body is getting heavier, lighter, or plateu'ed. the biggest mistake nutritionists do is to forget to check how your weight is going before starting a diet program.
I call BS on that first count.

Also, no female should weigh themselves every day, since their weight fluctuates with their menstrual cycle, just FYI.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:48 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
whitty wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I am not sure sure about diet soft drinks. There is anecdotal evidence that artificial sweetners can cause some people to gain weight.
My dad always said this is because fat people drink diet coke/pepsi max and then tell themselves it's ok so smash down a bag of chips
and a packet of tim tams...
seems like it. A quote from an admittedly hysterically anti-aspartame web site:
1. According to an article in Technology Review, "aspartame may actually stimulate appetite and bring on a craving for carbohydrates" (Farber 52). 2. An article in Utne Reader claims, "researchers believe that any kind of sweet taste signals body cells to store carbohydrates and fats, which in turn causes the body to crave more food" (Lamb 16). 3. From the San Francisco Chronicle, Jean Weininger states that "studies have shown that people who use artificial sweeteners don't necessarily reduce their consumption of sugar -- or their total calorie intake. . . . Having a diet soda makes it okay to eat a double cheeseburger and a chocolate mousse pie" (1/ZZ1). 4. "The American Cancer Society (1986) documented the fact that persons using artificial sweeteners gain more weight than those who avoid them" (Roberts 150)

Whether you are trying to lose pounds or maintain your weight, using an artificial sweetener such as aspartame does not seem to have any significant effect on weight control. Those extra calories you saved by drinking a diet pop won't make much of a difference if you still need to satisfy your hunger and indulge in several cookies later. If it is actually increasing your appetite, why use it? Common sense tells you that proper diet and exercise are more beneficial. Even if you believe that aspartame may aid in dieting, is this worth risking your health?
Is all of that true? I don't know. The bit that sticks with me is: "is it worth risking your health?". I think not, so I avoid all foods and drinks with artificial sweetners.
I'm just taking an educated punt here, unlike most others armed with a keyboard, I'm not claiming to know everything.

I believe that, yes, some people believe it's okay to go crazy with the food because they're drinking a 0 calorie drink, but more profoundly, the overweight people that switch from coke to diet coke are the ones not as committed or dedicated to changing their lazy overweight lifestyle compared to those that drink water. And if one group of people are not as dedicated to losing weight as another group of people .......... :wink:
I don't know if artificial sweeteners make you hungrier, but I suspect those that ingest artificial sweeteners are the ones that are still entrenched in their eating habits, so it's an easy error to make, assuming these artificial sweeteners are the cause of hunger.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:49 pm

Ant. wrote: I'm just taking an educated punt here, unlike most others armed with a keyboard, I'm not claiming to know everything.

I believe that, yes, some people believe it's okay to go crazy with the food because they're drinking a 0 calorie drink, but more profoundly, the overweight people that switch from coke to diet coke are the ones not as committed or dedicated to changing their lazy overweight lifestyle compared to those that drink water. And if one group of people are not as dedicated to losing weight as another group of people .......... :wink:
I don't know if artificial sweeteners make you hungrier, but I suspect those that ingest artificial sweeteners are the ones that are still entrenched in their eating habits, so it's an easy error to make, assuming these artificial sweeteners are the cause of hunger.
The research on the effectiveness of artificial sweeteners is currently inconclusive - as in, not convincing enough to prove one way or the other.

Nonetheless, the case against them goes much further than lack of committment or dedication. The case against suggests that your body has defense mechanisms that try to preserve your fat stores - in evolutionary terms, this was vital in the hunter-gatherer days when fat was vital for surviving harsh winters/lean food availability. These mechanisms are counter-productive when you have the year-round supply of food enjoyed in the obese-enriched countries.

It might take more than will-power/dedication to overcome these mechanisms. This might be over-simplifying it, but one of the suggestions is that the sweetness sensation signals your digestive system that there's something coming that ought be converted straight to fat - as it would do if it was real sugar. In response to that signalling, the digestive system then converts other food to fat, or rather becomes much more efficient at absorbing and converting the carbohydrate content in your diet to fat. If this were the case, to beat the signalling you would have to get rid of the sweetener - or at least aim to reduce your intake.

When the current state of research leaves the professional scientists unconvinced, the best you can do is a one-person experiment. Try giving up the artificial sweeteners too (i.e. as well as the sugar), and see if it makes a difference. My family dietitian isn't inclined to do this, drinks diet soft drink, but has never been overweight and never had fat stores worth defending.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Point is that if everyones diet was a bit better, it'd be sweet as naural sugar, right?
(as for the coffee count, i'd say i'll check it, but i'm dead tired and wont bother)
in the past 3 years, the only thing i've drunk are milk, water, and the occasional gatorade/propel. my girlfriend loves my body :)

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:05 pm

My over simplified remedy :) You need carbs to give you energy to burn fat at high intensity,At high h/rates your body demands energy from any food consumed until you bonk then you will burn fat and take longer to recover,A friend of mine did this ,lost 6 kilo's in 6 weeks,took a gell with him so when he bonked he could still get home :P , At a lower h/rate "for me under 140 bpm" puts me in the zone for fat burning without the need for carbs during the ride,BUT you need to ride for hrs,4-5 in my case,It works well without being too hard on the body and the mind :),,Have a peek at this link :wink:
http://www.how-to-burn-fat.com/heart-ra ... lator.html
Take care
Mike
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Bike 2011 Scott ,,all good
Genius 27 sp flat bar ,modified with aerobars etc a strange beast but love it ,,kicks ass

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 pm

puffdaddy wrote:My over simplified remedy :) You need carbs to give you energy to burn fat at high intensity,At high h/rates your body demands energy from any food consumed until you bonk then you will burn fat and take longer to recover,A friend of mine did this ,lost 6 kilo's in 6 weeks,took a gell with him so when he bonked he could still get home :P , At a lower h/rate "for me under 140 bpm" puts me in the zone for fat burning without the need for carbs during the ride,BUT you need to ride for hrs,4-5 in my case,It works well without being too hard on the body and the mind :),,Have a peek at this link :wink:
http://www.how-to-burn-fat.com/heart-ra ... lator.html
Take care
Mike
Fat burning zones is a well-supported notion, but there is a credible body of evidence building that indicates interval training is even more effective. For a layman's explanation, see Less Exercise for Less Weight, a report on research by Sydney's Garvan Institute. It might be a case of quality is better than quantity. Most athletic training programs have embraced interval training for a couple of decades, the only thing new is the finding of its effectiveness in fat burning.

Quantity training can have serious down-sides - as some marathoners discover. See the paragraphs here on Cardiac considerations of Endurance exercise. Overdoing it can lead to thickening of the heart walls, usually discovered on autopsy or when the over-exerciser collapses with a serious heart attack. Keeping under 140 bpm shouldn't put you at risk of this, but it's worth realising there is an upper limit to what might be good for you.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Since I have stopped cycle commuting and have been riding 100km only every second weekend (for the past 10 weeks) I have been eating everything I usually eat which is rice, pasta, lots of veggies, salad and also some (read very little) junk - chocolate, biscuits etc. However, I have been trying to eat less to compesate for less exercise. 10 weeks later I can report 0 weight gain. I weighed myself this morning and was pretty pleased to find I am exactly the same weight as 10 weeks ago! Woo hoo!

Next goal is when I start riding again is to drop another 5kg. My advice. Eat more legumes, eat less junk, portion control.
<removed by request>

whitestivo

Postby whitestivo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Each person is an individual, so i'll comment on myself

i've competed in triathlons for 15 years. i can say that swimming and riding do nothing to lose weight.

running drops weight. I think it's the impact and the energy required.

Try it and see

whitestivo