Repairs on your front suspension.

Have your current suspension forks required a repair and how old was the fork?

A repair was required within 6 months
No votes
A repair was required within 12 months
No votes
A repair was required within 18 months
100%
A repair was required within 24 months
No votes

Total votes: 1
bleedin kneecaps

Repairs on your front suspension.

Postby bleedin kneecaps » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:53 pm

I wonder if repairs on suspension forks is percieved or actual. Id like to understand this from people that currently own a bike with suspension forks. It may be useful for future buyers to understand whether this factor is worthy of considering when they are going to make a purchase and or if there are particularily "dud" forks to avoid.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:19 pm

Mine are now 15 mouths and are yet to recieve any repairs and maintance is done buy the bike shop on every 6month service.

beauyboy
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

LuckyPierre

There's no 'Haven't needed repair' option

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:35 am

I have three suspension forks - an old Tange (over 5 years old, but it was top of the line at the time), an RST (don't remember the model, but bottom end, that's 1 year old) and an RST Gila (adjustable, about two years old).
I'd only bother repairing the Gila, but it doesn't / hasn't needed any repairs yet.
I'm definitely not a downhill racer, but it's not as if they've never been bottomed out either. Off-road, I mainly ride fire trails and manage to get airborne every now and then - after all, a dirt ride isn't a dirt ride until both wheels have left the ground!

bleedin kneecaps

front suspension

Postby bleedin kneecaps » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:21 pm

I guess i should submit my own experience. I have a set of Rock Shox J1. They are 12months old. 3500+kms on road and 40-50hours use on medium trails. Nil serviceing required yet. Only ever wiped clean after offroad use when required. I guess i should have had a vote for nil service required. Please feel free to submit this in your comments.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:06 pm

The question is, what's the definition of "requiring servicing"? What do the manufacturers recommend the service interval to be?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:54 pm

I must confess to being impressed by the stories above. I've never owned a bike with suspension so can't offer any advice, but if the above war stories can be applied generally, it would appear that suspension doesn't need much servicing at all.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:53 am

I just couldn't resist anymore, and it is late at night, but I brought a pair of those gas shockies.

I couldn't figure out how to light them, so I took them back..... :shock:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:37 am

I have a friend with an MTB that's been left outside in the rain for about 6 months, the shocks are rusty as hell, but they still work - just a bit squeaky.