I cracked my frame!

jacks1071

Re: I cracked my frame!

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:
snedden9485 wrote:Well the shop rang me the other day. The bike has been looked at by spec australia and they have sent photos to USA. According to photos, it should be covered. The BB and broken section gets sent off to USA for assessment, then if covered, i get a new frame. No frames in OZ, so hopefully they upgrade my frame. Tarmac SL - 2? :D
Personally I wouldn't be waiting, I would be talking your State consumer protection department. You might be surprised just how responsive the local distributor suddenly becomes. You shouldn't have to wait for the Specialized USA to respond; the distributor and retailer are subject to Australian law and should sort the problem out immediately, irrespective of what Specialized US think.

Andrew
Andrew, don't you think it would be better to let the company follow their proceedures given that the vadility of the warranty in this situation could be pretty easily argued by the manufacturer.

Pulling the "consumer affairs" card is a sure fire way for the company to say the frame has been impropperly used, abused whatever - warranty void.

The company could pretty easily proove that this wasn't a common problem with their products.

Frames don't just crack like that. That is a VERY unusual place for a frame to crack.

I know Specialized are one of the better companies for warranties so fingers crossed they come to the party for this guy.

You catch more bees with honey and if that was my frame, and I wanted warranty I would be as sweet as pie to everyone involved.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:26 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
snedden9485 wrote:Well the shop rang me the other day. The bike has been looked at by spec australia and they have sent photos to USA. According to photos, it should be covered. The BB and broken section gets sent off to USA for assessment, then if covered, i get a new frame. No frames in OZ, so hopefully they upgrade my frame. Tarmac SL - 2? :D
Personally I wouldn't be waiting, I would be talking your State consumer protection department. You might be surprised just how responsive the local distributor suddenly becomes. You shouldn't have to wait for the Specialized USA to respond; the distributor and retailer are subject to Australian law and should sort the problem out immediately, irrespective of what Specialized US think.

Andrew
Andrew, don't you think it would be better to let the company follow their proceedures given that the vadility of the warranty in this situation could be pretty easily argued by the manufacturer.

Pulling the "consumer affairs" card is a sure fire way for the company to say the frame has been impropperly used, abused whatever - warranty void.

The company could pretty easily proove that this wasn't a common problem with their products.

Frames don't just crack like that. That is a VERY unusual place for a frame to crack.

I know Specialized are one of the better companies for warranties so fingers crossed they come to the party for this guy.

You catch more bees with honey and if that was my frame, and I wanted warranty I would be as sweet as pie to everyone involved.
So in your professional opinion do you believe interval training on a fixed trainer to be considered abuse of a bike frame? (No hidden agenda here, just curious. I've never cracked a frame.)

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:29 pm

I spoke to the shop owner re the trainer and he said its no dramas and they dont hurt them. Plus, the bike hasnt done much in the trainer, maybe only 10 hours or so.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:59 pm

snedden9485 wrote:I spoke to the shop owner re the trainer and he said its no dramas and they dont hurt them. Plus, the bike hasnt done much in the trainer, maybe only 10 hours or so.
Not pointing the finger indirectly. Just trying to get a clearer picture. Some say yes, some say no.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Nobody wrote:
snedden9485 wrote:I spoke to the shop owner re the trainer and he said its no dramas and they dont hurt them. Plus, the bike hasnt done much in the trainer, maybe only 10 hours or so.
Not pointing the finger indirectly. Just trying to get a clearer picture. Some say yes, some say no.
trainers put stress on the rear stays not the down tube I shouldnt think

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:06 pm

rustguard wrote:
Nobody wrote:
trainers put stress on the rear stays not the down tube I shouldnt think
As had been suggested before the flex of the carbon stays may somehow be transferring the stress elsewhere. But since I don't have access to the manufacturer's computer modeling, it is just conjecture on my part.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:45 am

So in your professional opinion do you believe interval training on a fixed trainer to be considered abuse of a bike frame? (No hidden agenda here, just curious. I've never cracked a frame.)
This is absolutely going to stress your frame MORE than doing interval's on the road. Thats why a lot of shops will tell you not use use carbon bikes on the trainers and also why a lot of people keep their OLD bike to use on the trainer.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Avanti22

Postby Avanti22 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:23 am

grosry wrote:
sogood wrote:
grosry wrote:what are the main reasons for frames cracking... just becuase they do or...?
Material defect, fatigue, abuse... And the list goes on.
dont most frames have a weight limit on the riders? cause that would help snap a frame!
I hardly see it snapping under chris's weight.
2008 Ridley Compact

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:03 pm

While we are on the subject of broken frames - check this out:

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Most of the stories are crash related.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Let's not ride this trail again, pleeeeeeeeeease.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Tale

Postby Tale » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
DanielS wrote:The level of worship and demonising of materials that goes on in this forum is amazing. Seriously.... its like a religious debate or something!!
You can't single out this forum for it. All forums are susceptible to this fervour about frame materials. We keep it civilised though (mostly ...).
It's about flying down the local hill on your bike at 70+ km/h and having faith that when you hit the massive bump at the bottom, your wonderful aluminium/carbon/steel frame won't fall apart. And then posting about it on a forum, as living proof that aluminium/carbon/steel frames are the best!
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:53 am

jacks1071 wrote:While we are on the subject of broken frames - check this out:

I have a real question about this. Given that it is known that carbon has to be looked after in a certain way and that people who look after their carbon frames don't seem to have any problems, I am wondering if the frames that suddently catastrophically fail have been mistreated in some way. My point is that I find it hard to believe that the bike is 100% fine at the top of the hill and breaks halfway down because the rider hit a bump or pothole. I have ridden with heavy riders on carbon bikes down some very rough hills and they all made it fine.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just after some real info without all the hype.
<removed by request>

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:While we are on the subject of broken frames - check this out:

I have a real question about this. Given that it is known that carbon has to be looked after in a certain way and that people who look after their carbon frames don't seem to have any problems, I am wondering if the frames that suddently catastrophically fail have been mistreated in some way. My point is that I find it hard to believe that the bike is 100% fine at the top of the hill and breaks halfway down because the rider hit a bump or pothole. I have ridden with heavy riders on carbon bikes down some very rough hills and they all made it fine.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just after some real info without all the hype.
<Photo of a snapped bike frame>
"Within 24 hours of purchase Nik went off the road into a concrete block, breaking his frame and his hand. "

I don't know if you'd call running into a concrete block mistreatment? :P
I guess what i'm trying to say is, don't believe everything you read on the internet. :)
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm

Tom Marius wrote: <Photo of a snapped bike frame>
"Within 24 hours of purchase Nik went off the road into a concrete block, breaking his frame and his hand. "

I don't know if you'd call running into a concrete block mistreatment? :P
I guess what i'm trying to say is, don't believe everything you read on the internet. :)

Yes but it was the aluminium that let go...not the carbon :lol:

provoked

Postby provoked » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:46 pm

That site is scaring me - Imagine loosing your forks at speed! :(
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Update: Bike is being replaced, new frame soon apparantly.
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Cool. Nice to know they're looking after you.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:19 pm

snedden9485 wrote:Update: Bike is being replaced, new frame soon apparantly.
Great news Chris. Hope you don't have to wait too much longer.
Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:27 pm

Great news!

Any idea at this point in time what it will be replaced with – identical frame or an update? :mrgreen:

Mattsbike

Postby Mattsbike » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:00 am

snedden9485 wrote:Update: Bike is being replaced, new frame soon apparantly.
Great news mate. A Tarmac SL would sit quite nicely next to the 'velo :lol:

Matt
Matt

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Forgot to update you guys. I got a nice new frame last week. Ended up getting a nice new 2010 Specialized Allez Comp (top model) frame. Its very nice, comes with the E5 tubing and looks very cool, has the curved rectangular style top tube which looks hot. I will shoot some photos up in the coming weeks. So a good result for all :mrgreen:
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 pm

Good stuff Sneddon, should look a treat when she's built up. :D

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:01 am

Everything is put together, i v been riding her for about a week or more. Still running my old groupset and wheels, but i have just ordered some nice new dura ace carbon wheels for the cervelo, so the specy will be treated to the easton circuits once this occurs. Il shoot some pics once completed!
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

SC27

Postby SC27 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:47 am

I have a 5 year old Bianchi Via Nerone 7, which began corroding very badly a number of years ago. By the time I decided to query this it was out of warranty, and I never recieved a response from Italy. I decided unhappily to live with it, as I believed the issue was purely aesthetic.

I recently took it in for a service, and it was found that the frame was cracking in multiple places. The bike is out warranty, and the agents have offered 15% on a new frame. I have since reframed the bike (with another brand... once bitten, twice shy).

The bike has alwaysbeen kept indoors and has never been crashed or dropped. It was so badly corroded though, that the crank and seatpost could not be removed.

I'm interested to know if mine is an isolated incident, or whether others have had similar experiences with this type of bike.