Kalbarri and Return early October start

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Kalbarri and Return early October start

Postby heavymetal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:04 pm

Yes it's happening again this year, though the route may change.

I'm planning to leave Perth early October for my annual trip to Kalbarri and return. I might vary the route this year and take the quieter coastal highway instead of the Brand Highway.

It's a fully loaded tour, mostly stealth camping. If anyone is interested in coming along for the ride, you are most welcome in either direction.

I'll be hauling the BOB trailer, complete with stove and all of the other goodies. It's a no rush tour. I get there, when I arrive :D

I believe that we may be met on the road and have some company in the vicinity of Kalbarri by another cycle tourist, with a possible side trip to the scenic coastal town of Port Gregory.

I'm also hoping to push north to Galena Bridge for a day ride, maybe further north if possible and time permits.

If anyone is interested in coming along for the tour, PM me. The route and travel times are pretty flexible.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm driving up to Kalbarri on the 6th October (with wife and kids (and parents in tow!))so I'll look out for you on the road (although I'll probably miss you if you're avoiding the Brand Highway).

How long does the trip take? (I know you're not in a rush but what do you anticipate timewise?)

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:29 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:How long does the trip take? (I know you're not in a rush but what do you anticipate timewise?)
My record is 5 days riding (4 overnights) but that was on a heavily loaded MTB pulling the BOB trailer, pushing some bad head winds.

This time I'm on the road tourer, and traveling a lot lighter. If I can get the right winds, I may cut it down to 4 days or less.

Around the 6th October I should be on the Brand highway somewhere, or the lower road to Kalbarri. The trailer is fitted with 2 rear yellow flags, so I'm not hard to miss.

Kev.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Is it paved all the way or are there dirt stretches?

Edit: and how far are you planning to ride each day? Hours and kms ....
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:45 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Is it paved all the way or are there dirt stretches?
It's paved all of the way, except for the odd road works stretches.
Kalgrm wrote:Edit: and how far are you planning to ride each day? Hours and kms ....
It varies each day, but I plan to average somewhere from 80 - 120 kms a day. I always know that day 2 is not a good one for me on any tour, so I push it out on the first day, lose a bit on the second, then average out over the rest of the days.

Riding time per days varies, but I like to do at least 6 - 7 hours.

Kev.

Crank

Postby Crank » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:36 am

Yep im there i will meet you some were along the way let me know a bit closer to time i could be anywere.. :D :D :D

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Is it paved all the way or are there dirt stretches?
I found a short cut today from my place (Wanneroo area) to Muchea. It's meant to be a road, but it's limestone with sand, mud and rocks. It's only 20 kms though :D

However I might not use this short cut on the way out, but look for the paved shortcut further north from here.

Kev.