Shoes + Pedals

CoffeeNut

Shoes + Pedals

Postby CoffeeNut » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:00 am

Just starting - can see the benefits of clipless already....

Torpedo has this package:

Shoes and Wellgo Road Shoe/Pedal Combo - (SC-4R & WPD-R4)

Opinions on this as an appropriate started kit appreciated:)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:19 am

Can't really comment on the shoes from a personal point, but a mate has just bought the Carbon soled Exustar's from Torp7 and is happy (apart from the fact they were put on special by $50 2 weeks later :twisted: )

I started witha $40 pair of Diadora's from Ebay and the SPD A-520 pedals as the first foray into clipless pedals.

Now that I have done a bit of riding and want top keep going, I have just bought a better pair of shoes (Cannondale RP2000 - actually made by Diadora as well) and soem Time RXS Carbon pedals.

Start out with something that fits and is cheaper to get started, and then go from there.

If you can, try on heaps of shoes, as they don't all fit the same. I tried on a few, and most were pretty good, but when I put on the Cannondales, they were superb, so I bought them !!!

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:31 am

MichaelB wrote:Start out with something that fits and is cheaper to get started, and then go from there.
I agree. Often this is the best way to go as it allows the individual to assess what's important for him/her. It's one of those thing that can be considered to be tuition fee. :cry:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:56 am

Any shoe pedal combination is going to be a vast improvement. After that it becomes a personal choice and while there is some more improvement, its no where the amount gained with the first step.

As per the others, you really won' know what you want until you have experienced a set for perhaps a year or so.

BTW, the most important thing is that they fit properlly, which is a bit tricky with mail order.

And just thought I mention that there's a ace Veteran rider that sogood and I know (sideshowbob) who purchased the carbon soled Exaustar's from T7 and loves them.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

stevos

Postby stevos » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:15 pm

hey, i have the wellgo shoes the same as that but the other road/pedal combo. I think they are great i have not had a problem with them. I have a pair of the blue exhauseter road shoes and these wellgo shoes are ten times better than the exhauseter, the wellgo shoes are stiff where as i find the exhauseter shoe deforms and twists under pressure causing power loss. Would recommend the wellgo ones, not the cheap exhauster ones. Id like to try the carbon exhauster ones though. :D Hope this helps
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 pm

One thing on shoe fit - you do not want tight shoes. You're feet will swell when you ride and if they are too tight (or simply done up too tight), you will get sore feet - I'd like to explain how painful they can be but as a moderator I'd have to delete the description :shock: I don't know how you buy sporting shoes, but I had to change my practices to suit.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

CoffeeNut

Postby CoffeeNut » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:42 pm

thanks guys - very helpful comments - ta :)