Why no Felt ?

Dave A

Why no Felt ?

Postby Dave A » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:44 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here after lurking for what seems like ages, i enjoy reading everyone's comments and stories, its given me plenty of ideas for the future.
In fact ive even emailed fellow south Aussie Europa a few times some months back regarding staying motivated ( not sure if you remember Richard )

Anyway, i decided it was time to dip my toe in the water and make a first post.
Ive only been back in the saddle since December, i purchased a Felt QX90 hybrid as i wanted something more versatile than a pure roadie, but not as heavy and unnecessary as a mountain bike.
But in my time reading this forum, ive never seen Felt bikes get a mention, no matter which variation.
I was under the impression they were a highly regarded make, but not seeing them here makes me wonder how more experienced riders view them.

By the way Richard, id love to catch up and hit the road one day if you're keen, Im a "Southerner" too :-)

Dave

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:53 am

Felt is not a top 3 market leader hence its mention is somewhat proportional to that. In any case, the lack of discussion on a brand may mean two thing,

1) It's so crappy that no one is interested.
2) It's so fantastic and rare that no one has any personal knowledge of it.

So just ignore it. Felt make good bikes and you can stay warm and comfortable with this though. As many here repeatedly say, it's the engine riding the machine that counts. Bike brands doesn't mean very much in the scheme of things.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:59 am

Hi Dave,

Felt make excellent bikes.

Component wise, they tend to use better components where it counts and cheaper components where it isn't has important, making the bikes excellent value for money. It all depends if this mix of components is what you want or don't want.

The bike industry is very competitive and most brands are close to each other in the bang for buck equation. On this forum, the regulars here own many brands of bikes, but that doesn't mean that they are better or worst than other brands.

The most important thing is, do you enjoy your bike?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:30 pm

Thanks so far guys.
I know what you mean by the engine riding the bike :D
I didnt know one bike from the other when i made my purchase, i just scoured the net for various bits of info so i could make somewhat of an informed decision when it came time to lay the money down.

In fact, i had never even heard of Felt before a friend pointed me to their website.

Im very happy with the bike, i dont doubt for a minute that its a good buy, i just wish i could find more time to enjoy it !
Its the same story for many of you i presume, wife, kids, work etc. getting in the way.

Dave

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Dave A wrote:Its the same story for many of you i presume, wife, kids, work etc. getting in the way.
Yep, very familiar. The trick is to put in an extra effort to get up early and do your ride before anyone else wakes up. It is somewhat tougher to do in the winter.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:41 pm

G'day Dave,

Yes, I remember the chats. We sort of lost contact along the way didn't we. Sorry about that. Life, the universe and all that. Where'd you get the Felt? Bernie Jones?

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi Richard,

Yep, Bernie Jones.
I had a very difficult time ordering an Orbea from another store, so changed my choice to the Felt, but the store i originally chose for that didn't seen too interested in helping me, and seemed to be only staffed by kids.
So i went further afield to BJs, and it was well worth it, good service by knowledgeable people.
So they get my money now.

Dave

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:33 pm

There have been a couple of Felt purchases by forum members recently (where are you when we need you Blue?). A couple of continental teams use Felts I believe.

I myself almost bought one...until I fell in love with a Scott. Now I'm the only Scott owner on this board!! They too make good bikes too...but just not very common.

Personally, I like being a little unique...better than having a Giant like every man and his wife and kids and friends etc (oh dear...I better watch my back now :wink: ).

Enjoy your steed knowing that others who see you riding will check out your bike and say to themselves "I've not seen one of them before. I'll have to check out their website." Well, at least that is what I do when I see something new :oops:

europa

Postby europa » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:33 pm

BJS are my number 1 lbs. Good people all round.

Richard

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:15 pm

moosterbounce wrote:.better than having a Giant like every man and his wife and kids and friends etc (oh dear...I better watch my back now :wink: ).
You keep watching your back so I can sneak into your purse, flog your cc and trade up to a Bianchi 928 c2c :wink: :P

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:17 pm

moosterbounce wrote:There have been a couple of Felt purchases by forum members recently (where are you when we need you Blue?). A couple of continental teams use Felts I believe.

I myself almost bought one...until I fell in love with a Scott. Now I'm the only Scott owner on this board!! They too make good bikes too...but just not very common.

Personally, I like being a little unique...better than having a Giant like every man and his wife and kids and friends etc (oh dear...I better watch my back now :wink: ).

Enjoy your steed knowing that others who see you riding will check out your bike and say to themselves "I've not seen one of them before. I'll have to check out their website." Well, at least that is what I do when I see something new :oops:
Great post Moo :lol: :lol: but are the Giant buyers Sheep :roll: :wink:
Dave A welcome and the 2nd Felt owner on the forum 8)
After my research looking for the roadie I had no hesitation buying the Felt. The groupset is right,their frame quality is there and as Moo said it's not common... :P
They are a company/Brand which are already strong in the US and soon to have a pro team in Europe.
Jim Felt's history is interesting check out the website.....

Anyway enjoy happy days....
His Felt Carbon F5C ' 07.....
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB
Kids Mongoose x 2 Tricycle x 1

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:59 pm

This will cheer you up...

According to Australian Cyclists' write up, Phil Anderson owns and rides a Felt alloy-carbon bike at home.

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:06 pm

Thanks Bluerider, at least im not alone here :D
My bike has quickly made me a fan of the brand.
and as Moo said it's not common...
I must admit, that did play a small part in my decision :wink:

I first went for an Orbea after all, until the shopkeeper admited he had no idea when it would arrive !

Dave

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:33 pm

Funny you mentioned Orbea's I like the few I saw also.
Came veryvery close buying a BMC but the Felt won me after a test ride !
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi Dave A :) i've had a peek at a few of the felt bikes on their website mainly because at the time there were a few felt frames going on ebay 06' versions of the F3 - sweet looking frames they are too.. was thinking of changing the gear over to the full carbon ..yummy...

Ive been tempted too by cervelo daydreams over the last few months and once in a while goto their site and daydream between the soloist carbon or the R3 ... like watching chocolate being made ..eye candy

my current ride is a team issue shogun so i am one who heartily supports the theory of ride what makes you feel special hmm im feeling a bit chatty ill bend your ears err eyes

last Sunday the cousin and I got up early and went for the lbs social bay ride. We lucked out, just as i was saying we could go do our own thing, elements of the fast pack turned up. So we had 5 riders one of them the owner of a $7k stealth carbon trek .

We set out at a brisk 30kph warmup down the beachfront then across our version of the cobbles - the old hornybrook bridge a bitumen surface that is cracked with raised ridges or sunken surface every few plankwidths.

after a vigorous kidney shaking we set out to do the rolling hills down to scarborough then up through redcliffe woody point and finish the loop hmm sound familiar? yea its one of my training routes /big cheesy grin

oh okie i wont indulge myself too much in the chest pounding but saving the zip for the showy bits i pulled off a nice 35-40kph attack up a 450m 6% incline. Breaking away from the pack as we left the roundabout at the bottom and spinning past the gathering horde of the cycling caffe set. That and mashing up this nasty 200m 9-10% headland road to take and hold the lead to the top with the hrm blinking 102 102 101 101 100 %of max at the top :shock:

the nicest part is that the shogun ended up drawing most of the looks that morning once we had settled for coffee /flex

Emrik2s

Postby Emrik2s » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 am

I have a friend that ride FELT, they're not too bad at all, excellent value like one of the earlier poster said, pretty good component level for where it counts.

At the shop when he was buying it the salesman did comment on the fact that everyone wants a top 3 bike, which are all grossely mass-manufactured, where as Felt is a newer player, willing to be a bit more adventurous in it's design, as such the ride is more 'exciting'.

I couldn't help but drooling on the fact that not everyone has a Felt, while alot of people have a Giant or Scott or Trek.

Worth considering.

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:32 pm

Emrik2s wrote: At the shop when he was buying it the salesman did comment on the fact that everyone wants a top 3 bike

I couldn't help but drooling on the fact that not everyone has a Felt, while alot of people have a Giant or Scott or Trek.
Gee, i wouldnt have thought Scott would have been a common brand :shock:

Ive heard this "top 3" thing mentioned here before, so im I guessing you mean Giant and Trek, but whose the third, Avanti ?

Dave

Emrik2s

Postby Emrik2s » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:35 pm

I'm thinking it's really up to each person's opinion...

The third company..how about Huffy ? :p

Hey don't knock them, i bet Kmart sells a truck load of those a day so they must be up there if we're talking about 'common-ness'

-

Eric

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:43 pm

Remember the days where you either bought an Indi 500 or a Malvern Star? Sigh... :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:44 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Personally, I like being a little unique...better than having a Giant like every man and his wife and kids and friends etc (oh dear...I better watch my back now :wink: ).
Yeah you should watch your back for saying nasty things about Giants :-) Least I don't have a wife, traded her in on a bike .... :lol:

Regards
Andrew

europa

Postby europa » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:47 pm

Dave A wrote:Ive heard this "top 3" thing mentioned here before, so im I guessing you mean Giant and Trek, but whose the third, Avanti ?
The top 3 - the two brands we sell plus one we don't but which you can't get locally :wink: [/cycnic]

Richard

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:58 pm

Let it be said that blueriders Felt does not actually exist until there is photographic evidence :P :P :P

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:35 pm

gsxrboy wrote:Let it be said that blueriders Felt does not actually exist until there is photographic evidence :P :P :P
patience is a virtue :) it will come :wink:
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB

europa

Postby europa » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:59 pm

Bluerider wrote:patience is a virtue :) it will come :wink:
What? Patience or virtue?

Richard

postiechic

Postby postiechic » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:34 pm

yeah but.....try finding a Felt to test ride.....I've given up. Which is most unfortunate