Cell Bikes

Peter C

Cell Bikes

Postby Peter C » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Are the Cell Bikes any good? They never seem to have middle range sizes with bikes that are on special.

sixx

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby sixx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Not sure if they are any good, but often when bikes of any kind are on sale the sizing is at either end of the scale ... probably due to popularity of the more common average sizes and therefore harder to sell ... hence now on sale to clear.

Maybe?

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Was it Cell that had some re-calls recently?

I very vaguely remember reading about a broken head stem or something?

Not that it's any reason to cast a dark cloud over the whole brand of course!
*** insert signature here ***

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:57 pm

I think the general consensus with Cell bikes (at least on this forum) is that you can get some good deals and decent bikes for the money you pay, especially if its your first roadie. However, unless you live in sydney, the fact that you don't get to try before you buy could be seen as a turn off.
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

grosry

Postby grosry » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Tom Marius wrote: However, unless you live in sydney, the fact that you don't get to try before you buy could be seen as a turn off.
thats what i was going to say...
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:55 pm

I had a Cell Swift for 6 months and it was reasonable value for money but the handlebars were dodgy and had to be recalled. After I had been riding around with stress fractures in their crappy handlebars that put me off their products but apart from that you get good running gear for your buck compared to higher end brands.
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Tom Marius wrote:I think the general consensus with Cell bikes (at least on this forum) is that you can get some good deals and decent bikes for the money you pay, especially if its your first roadie. However, unless you live in sydney, the fact that you don't get to try before you buy could be seen as a turn off.

Pretty much this.

I ride a cell, and I'm quite happy with it. It's nothing flash but it is great value for money. I wouldn't get too caught up in the 'sale' things - I'm pretty sure they are one of those companies that there is always a sale on.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Peter C wrote:Are the Cell Bikes any good? They never seem to have middle range sizes with bikes that are on special.
I've ridden a 2007 cell blade for two years, and put about 15,000 km on it. Quite a good first bike buy.

The 2008 blade (and two higher models) have different frame tubing - less cross-sectional area, which make them look less well built. They have carbon forks with alloy steerer which gives them appeal on paper, assuming the forks are robust.

There has been a recall issue with the 2008 blade's Zoom handlebars (you can find details on ACCC website). Maybe a supplier let them down, and this was just bad luck that Cell addressed properly.

More recently (month or so ago), a BNA member went OTB when his Zoom headstem failed on a 2008 blade and sustained fractures, and another BNA member had his steerer tube fail out on a ride (thankfully no injury). While Cell provided the first member with a refund of bike cost, there has been no recall and cell staff denied awareness of the first incident to the member reporting the second incident. The headstem and steerer problems might just be isolated failures. And this might have just been miscommunication between the staff. Or it might be part of a pattern of failures indicating that there has been a serious decline in quality.

You have to decide :( . I'm happy to say my 2007 blade was great value, but I don't know about the later models.
sixx wrote: Not sure if they are any good, but often when bikes of any kind are on sale the sizing is at either end of the scale ... probably due to popularity of the more common average sizes and therefore harder to sell ... hence now on sale to clear.
Cells web site doesn't give any specifications for the bike's geometry. So it's impossible to check which size you need (e.g. if well-armed with the fit details from the http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO). I went to shop to check fit myself when I bought mine. Even that is risky, because they don't do a proper measured fit - they just eyeball you sitting on the bike. In my case it gave a satisfactory outcome.

For mail-orders, don't know if they would email you more specific geometry info, but without it, buying on mail order wouldn't seem sensible.

Last point: be wary of their website claims of the discount/value in their prices. They tend to compare with up-market brands, and it's possible to get similarly spec'd bikes from other sources for similar money. Make sure you check out a range of bike shops before buying. And google this site a bit more - your question about the value in cell bikes comes up frequently in discussions.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:52 pm

wombatK wrote:
For mail-orders, don't know if they would email you more specific geometry info, but without it, buying on mail order wouldn't seem sensible.
In regards to this, when my mate bought a cell (online-he lives in hobart) he sent an email to Cell with his height. They told him what bike he needed. More specifically, i think the guy responding to emails said he was the same height, and so could recommend the 'right size.'

i say 'right size' because in my experience (YMMV) height is not the only factor in a correct bike size. But my mate was happy with the purchase.
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:06 am

G'day

Are you a bike snob? IIf yes, then Cell ain't for you :) I would also second Tom Marius comments on "right size". Height is not a good measure of bike fit and it would concern me if I was being sold a bike on that basis.

Regards
Andrew

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:05 am

Aushiker wrote:G'day

Are you a bike snob? IIf yes, then Cell ain't for you :) I would also second Tom Marius comments on "right size". Height is not a good measure of bike fit and it would concern me if I was being sold a bike on that basis.

Regards
Andrew
Does my new Cannondale make me a Bike snob now, or do I have to get rid of the Cell :) ?

+10 on use of height as the only metric, same goes for stand-over height. Only work if you're a very standard shape, and most people aren't.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

stated

Postby stated » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:17 am

The h/bars on my 2007 cell team also broke, they wouldn't replace them for free because they weren't part of the recall.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Theres geometry charts for each of the bikes.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:17 pm

I've been using a Swift for the past month, and it really is a decent bike. Just had to change out the tires to armordillos!
What are these salesmen peddling?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:56 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:Theres geometry charts for each of the bikes.
Where ?
WombatK

stated

Postby stated » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:28 pm

I hope they aren't selling those size 50cm bikes with 175 cranks like they are advertise in the geometry pics :shock:

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:54 pm

stated wrote:I hope they aren't selling those size 50cm bikes with 175 cranks like they are advertise in the geometry pics :shock:
actually, they arent. that geometry sheet is wrong. mines a 53 and i got 170 cranks..
What are these salesmen peddling?

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:09 pm

I bought a mountain bike off them a couple of years ago. They fitted me by sight and everything seemed okay but I now know that they gave me a size too large. As for the parts, I found them okay for casual use but not for serious off road use with quite a few of the parts needing replacing early on. Prices are definitely competitive but yes ignore the RRPs as they are unrealistic for what they are selling.

I'm not a brand-snob but as the addiction takes hold you can't help feel somewhat lacking in the bike department. Therefore my recommendation would be to buy a cell if your budget is fixed and you are not yet sure whether the addiction will become full blown.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:28 pm

wombatK wrote:
Where ?
If you click on a specific bike, it should be the last picture.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:01 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:
wombatK wrote:
Where ?
If you click on a specific bike, it should be the last picture.
It's there for each of the more expensive bikes (>$1099). Not there for each of the 3 cheapest road bikes (Cell Blade and lower).

Of the MTB, only 1 out of 10 had a geometry diagram and tables, and it wasn't the dearest.

There's a message there about the importance of bike fit.
WombatK

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Cell have got a really good reputation for quick delivery of the bikes and accessories that they sell. They seem to be branching into new area now by offering KHS track bikes and Surly Steamrollers. They seem to be evolving and providing products that cyclists want, even if those cyclists are the trendy inner city fixie types (I can only aspire to their pierced and tattooed coolness).

A friend of mine got a Dell computer and someone commented that Dell was the Cell of the computer world.

David

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:22 am

Cell is a very good alternative to PBK, c r c, Wiggleand and Ribble if you don't want any chance of Mr Hacker buying a Ticket to Honolulu with your credit card. :lol:

They sell consummable parts such as tyres, tubes and other parts cheaper than your LBS. Just a naked fact.

Lately they are selling other SS and Touring framesets with very competitive price so they cannot hurt us for choice. Their bikes....well...I would buy it just for the groupset alone if you don't factor in the UK online sellers as mentioned.

Overall.....if you do you research, you can buy a whole bike,...strip the parts up and buy a frameset from eBay and end up costing you less as a whole. A strategy somewhat similar to that can make cellbike work for you.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 am

If you click on a specific bike, it should be the last picture.[/quote]
It's there for each of the more expensive bikes (>$1099). Not there for each of the 3 cheapest road bikes (Cell Blade and lower).

Of the MTB, only 1 out of 10 had a geometry diagram and tables, and it wasn't the dearest.

There's a message there about the importance of bike fit.[/quote]

I think Cellbike will work most for buyers who are more knowledgeable as to what they want and what they are looking for. In this regard, the helpfulness of your LBS is advantageous if the buyer is a newbie.

For those who know what size they are...its just a matter of choosing between the 56 or the 53cm if your a 54 true size. Its not for everyone but as their sales in the last couple of years show...they are hitting the target market of intermediate riders who can determine whats the difference between VTT and ATT.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 am

wombatK wrote:It's there for each of the more expensive bikes (>$1099). Not there for each of the 3 cheapest road bikes (Cell Blade and lower).

There's a message there about the importance of bike fit.
Agreed. In terms of real value for money - especially for a newbie who doesn't have heaps of experience selecting an appropriate size and geometry bike etc - Cell might not be as great as they first appear. There's an article on buying a bike in the latest Australian Cyclist mag, one phrase that struck me was (paraphrasing): "it's a simple matter to find the shop selling a bike at the lowest price, but far more important to find the shop that will sell you the best bike for your needs, at a fair price".

If you already know exactly what you want, Cell offers terrific bang-for-buck, but perhaps not the best option for someone buying their first bike.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi Everyone, although the last post was in 2009, and it's 2013, we've come a long way to becoming an online bike shop that a beginner can get their 'first real bike' from. Of course we always support people going to their LBS, and having a relationship with them, however, if that is not an option, we make every effort for riders purchasing their first 'real' bike online.

We've recently opened up a CELL Melbourne shop, in Fitzroy North, so it gives people a chance to come on down, and ask questions. We also have some very experienced people there, as well as a World Class Mechanic who has wrenched for some big names!
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us