Post your M7 experiences

trailgumby

Re: Post your M7 experiences

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Coming late to this thread, I'm apalled and disgusted by what was done to Greg. The rest of you were very fortunate indeed - it could have been very much worse.

I'm similarly disgusted by the attempted bike-jacking that the other poster was subjected to. These things definitely need to go in a COPS report.

This incident (and the bike-jacking attempt) is definitely worth a word to the local press, focusing on the personal impact to you.

What the problem is with these kids is that they don't connect actions and consequences, and they don't see you as real people, just objects. However, seeing in the paper what's happened to you will help humanise what they've done, that people can get hurt, paralysed or killed and life isn't like some cartoon or Matrix movie where people just get up and dust themselves off afterwards.

Look, I'm just an outsider and it's not my body at risk, but I reckon you've got a lot mroe to gain than lose by getting the press involved.

I'd get BNSW involved as well. They're responsible for a lot of the lobbying for paths such as these, and I think they need to be aware of what the real results are.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu May 21, 2009 5:23 pm

This is an update from Bicycling NSW newsletter:

M7 Cycleway
Dear Riders,

Cycling NSW was recently made aware of hoodlum behaviour on the Westlink M7 Cycleway such as rock throwing, debris, and wire being strung across the cycleway. In an attempt to rectify this situation, Cycling NSW wrote an email to the RTA noting its frustration and concern for the safety of riders. We would like to thank the RTA and M7 for their prompt reply, and the steps they have put in place to resolve these issue.

Response Email:

Good Morning Kevin
Your email was passed on to Westlink by the RTA.

Westlink shares your concern and frustration.

Westlink has investigated the incident and notes that the wire used was cut from the shared path fencing balustrade. We also note that incidents of anti social behaviour seem to be concentrated in the area between Woodstock Ave Glendenning and Sunnyholt Rd Kings Langley.

In an effort to improve safety, Westlink will remove all the wire from the shared path balustrade between these two locations. This work will be completed in the coming days. If we find that other areas on the shared path are targeted, we will remove the wire from these sites as well.

In addition to this action, Westlink will increase its security along the shared path by the Police and our incident response team. We hope these actions will discourage further events. However, as you can appreciate; this type of anti social behaviour is difficult to control, and ultimately, is a Police matter.

Thank you for your interest and concern. Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any other information or feedback.

Regards
John

All cyclists please remember to be cautious and safe at all times on the road.

Thank you,
Aleece Longbottom
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu May 21, 2009 5:26 pm

Cycling NSW has been made aware of the recent incidents on the M7 cycleway.
http://cycling-nsw.informz.net/z/cjUucD ... index.html

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu May 21, 2009 5:27 pm

Just beat me to it Lou :lol:

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu May 21, 2009 5:29 pm

Spiza wrote:Just beat me to it Lou :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Spiza wrote:Cycling NSW has been made aware of the recent incidents on the M7 cycleway.
http://cycling-nsw.informz.net/z/cjUucD ... index.html
See the hot off the press info you get now that you're a racer :!:
CORRECTION.
Soon to be a racer :P
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu May 21, 2009 6:31 pm

The Spoke N Word...that means Spiza has a licence already!!!! :D

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu May 21, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for the update guys - wow Spiz a brand new licence. Don't wear it out now :lol:

I *HOPE* to get back on the pushy soon. Havent' ridden since last Fri......Gonna hurt when I do!

Have a good weekend all, hopefully the weather will be clear for next Tues.
Good luck on the weekend to those FPRs racing.
Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Thu May 21, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm almost embarrased!

Greg
FPR Vampire

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu May 21, 2009 10:04 pm

stickgc wrote:I'm almost embarrased!
Greg
Don't be mate. It's probably not the first time it has happened. I'm happy our emails and calls have reached the right people and action is being taken. Love your sig BTW :lol:

Yes guys... almost a racer. Got a licence and club membership, just haven't taken the plunge. Soon though :D

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu May 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Spiza wrote:
Greg
Don't be mate. It's probably not the first time it has happened. I'm happy our emails and calls have reached the right people and action is being taken. Love your sig BTW :lol:

Yes guys... almost a racer. Got a licence and club membership, just haven't taken the plunge. Soon though :D
Huh? :| :o :) :D

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu May 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Spiza wrote:
Greg
Don't be mate. It's probably not the first time it has happened. I'm happy our emails and calls have reached the right people and action is being taken. Love your sig BTW :lol: /quote]
+1. There's got to be some good come out of this, and seeing prompt action from BNSW, Cycling NSW and Westlink is heartening.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

superbarok

Postby superbarok » Fri May 22, 2009 11:20 am

thanks for the update guys! still be cautious out there and look after each other!

ride on!!! ... :wink: :wink: :wink: ...(when the sun comes out in sydney that is) :oops:

PAIN - this TOO will pass

danielt

Postby danielt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Just bumping this post up. Noticed the last post was back in May.

How's everyone experiences so far with the M7 cycleway? Has the safety measures really been put in place, anyone knows? Is the place safer now than before?

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:28 pm

Something I have started to notice is the amount of rubbish we cyclists are dumping. It's pretty messy at the top of the Elizabeth Dr hill with energy bar wrappers and empty gel sacks littered around. Lots of discarded "powergator stuff" bottles as well. Why can't people take their rubbish home with them? Littering really pisses me off if you have not guessed :evil:
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:56 pm

NotFlyingScot wrote: Littering really pisses me off if you have not guessed :evil:
+1

How hard is it to put the wrapper in your jersey pocket and bin it when you get home :? :evil:
FPR Ragamuffin

Fluddman

Postby Fluddman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 pm

+1 - it really p's me off. Can't understand why people are too bloody inconsiderate and lazy to take their rubbish home. Obviously the road has the same problem - 5 minutes past KFC or Macas you find the empty wrappers. I hate riding through all this crap! People take your rubbish with you!

End of rant :?

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Saw a huge red belly black snake on the cycleway today at the Prestons end near the last bridge adjacent to the fields. This thing was well over a metre long :shock: and heading in the same direction as I was (towards Maccas). It was on the grassy part between the fence and the path.

I saw it late, I was a couple of metres from it when I noticed it, and $h@t myself instant jelly legs (who needs Darren and Zozz :lol: ). Didn't really know what to do to be honest so I rang the M7/Westlink office to report it when I got home :?

Never seen a snake that wasn't behind glass before today :o
FPR Ragamuffin

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Chuck wrote:........and heading in the same direction as I was (towards Maccas).
Perhaps it was after a frozen coke and a apple pie?

Kev.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Kev365428 wrote:
Chuck wrote:........and heading in the same direction as I was (towards Maccas).
Perhaps it was after a frozen coke and a apple pie?

Kev.
A mate of Zozza's then :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

Pav

Postby Pav » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 am

Went past 2 clowns last night on peewee motorcycles on the M7 down near the Norwest turn off around 6pm. Crazy boys!

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Chuck wrote:Saw a huge red belly black snake on the cycleway today at the Prestons end near the last bridge adjacent to the fields. This thing was well over a metre long :shock: and heading in the same direction as I was (towards Maccas). It was on the grassy part between the fence and the path.

I saw it late, I was a couple of metres from it when I noticed it, and $h@t myself instant jelly legs (who needs Darren and Zozz :lol: ). Didn't really know what to do to be honest so I rang the M7/Westlink office to report it when I got home :?

Never seen a snake that wasn't behind glass before today :o
Hope you're OK now and didn't get too dazzled Chucky :lol:

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:24 am

Can people please, please stay in their own lanes on the underbridge slow points. Getting fed up with cyclists riding two abreast through these talking to each other. :evil:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:01 am

zozza wrote:

I'm more "dazzled" by all these new smilies you're coming up with than I was by the snake. Who do you think you are, Spiza ?? :P
FPR Ragamuffin

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Chuck wrote:
zozza wrote:

I'm more "dazzled" by all these new smilies you're coming up with than I was by the snake. Who do you think you are, Spiza ?? :P

Spiza Rocks! :D :D