"Strength, Speed and Endurance"

DanielS

"Strength, Speed and Endurance"

Postby DanielS » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Just wondering what people think about this:

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/09/ ... -endurance

To me this way of looking at things seems a bit unscientific, and I'm struggling to see how it fits in with what I'm reading about power training (I'm currently reading Allen&Coggan and there is a Powertap on its way to me...).

I haven't read the Friel book, but I have ordered a copy, so perhaps I will be further enlightened when I read that.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: "Strength, Speed and Endurance"

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Strength is all about being able to push the pedals against high resistance. Hills, headwinds and crosswinds are situations where strength is important.

oh dear....

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:38 pm

You get nervous when the first thing you see is a massive Triangle on the page or should i call it a pyramid. :roll:
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm

It basically looks like a reprint from a chapter of Friel's training bible.

i just wish that terms with specific meanings in exercise physiology are not "redefined" for marketing purposes. it simply confuses the issue and will have everyone wondering why their (good) coach isn't sending them to the gym to get some "strength".

Friel does the same thing to the term "Critical Power".

Jono L.

Postby Jono L. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:55 pm

DanielS wrote:Just wondering what people think about this:

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/09/ ... -endurance

To me this way of looking at things seems a bit unscientific, and I'm struggling to see how it fits in with what I'm reading about power training (I'm currently reading Allen&Coggan and there is a Powertap on its way to me...).

I haven't read the Friel book, but I have ordered a copy, so perhaps I will be further enlightened when I read that.
I would just read it and go, "oh look a pretty triangle". Then read "training and racing with a powermeter" and you'll be fine :)

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Jono L. wrote:I would just read it and go, "oh look a pretty triangle". Then read "training and racing with a powermeter" and you'll be fine :)
Haha... roger :D