Will police do anything (video) Answer = not really

Verbal warning only for driver - fair result?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 18
waynohh

Will police do anything (video) Answer = not really

Postby waynohh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Description:
Rego 609-JEY brushed my glove. 60km/hr speed limit, 6 lane road. I was doing 50km/h, traffic was doing 60km/h, offender had to be doing at least 70km/h.

Enoggera road inbound towards Newmarket pool 02/09/2009.

Short 20sec version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYB6kLtiBRQ

Full 60sec version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmhvX-A39lE

If I take this to the cops, will they do anything at all?

I'm of the opinion they just won't care. I'm sure there may be a few that care about this sort of thing, but mostly they're just people who drive the same as the rest of the ignorant drivers out there. By the way this belief is based on my own hard evidence, not speculation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNeIVkJy9o

This is the second time this has happened in 2 weeks. The first time I was on my road bike without the camera but could sprint after the offender. I caught up about 1km down the road at lights and bashed on their window but the driver did the "stare ahead like nothing happened". This time I was on a mtb so had no chance of catching up.

Edit 1:
Well the answer is YES. See post on page 2.

Edit 2:
Well the answer is not really.

I went back to the station and got the incident report today (QP0900685618). They gave the driver a "verbal warning", NO charges, NO points lost, NO fine. So you can intentionally aim at a cyclist with the intent of clipping them while speeding and driving in 2 lanes without indicating and get away with it, as long as you don't put them on the ground. Well, you can probably still get away with it even then unless you kill them.
Last edited by waynohh on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Will police do anything (video)

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Dunno 'bout NSW Wayno.
In Vic I reckon they'd take a look and "get back to yer".

I really wish it were different, but what some call cynicism, others call experience.

Good luck.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Wow. that's scary to watch.
Take it to them. Surely they can do SOMETHING :roll:
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

BikeCop

Postby BikeCop » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:27 pm

[quote="Mulger bill"]Dunno 'bout NSW Wayno.

That is very correct. :)

A good job done on noting the registration number though.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 pm

If you can slow the frame rate enough to clearly show the offender's number plate, I'd say definitely take it to them. At worst they do nothing - at best the driver gets a damn good scare and perhaps a fine for dangerous driving.

Actually - dead on 50 seconds if you can pause you get a clear vision of their plate.

I say nail the %^$#er.
Last edited by uncle arthur on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Well maybe for the no indicator and their looks to be PLENTY of room to overtake ahead of the lane next to you but reckon it would be a warning though (i dont even have a liscence yet :lol: )
Never knew people carried cameras around on their bikes, Wish i could even do 50 on my road bike lol
Last edited by Richard.L on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

didge

Postby didge » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Looking through your other videos, that was pretty bad....but this one was a shocker

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Well they say 4WD'ers are the most rekless drivers

Reggaetonero

Postby Reggaetonero » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 pm

WHOOAA that was close!

Take the video to the police, give it a try...

Probably should've fliped him off, his rear view mirror would've showed. I did that once, was also ready for a road rage fight if he would've gotten out later or something.

Take care though...take care.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Looks like the rego # in the vid tho is 609-JET not 609-JEY. I paused it 49 & 50 sec mark. Nail dem mongrels.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Looks like the rego # in the vid tho is 609-JET not 609-JEY. I paused it 49 & 50 sec mark. Nail dem mongrels.
Not certain of that - looks like JEY to me - it's very clear at the 14 second mark of the 20 second clip. The YouTube compression is probably reducing the quality - I bet the original is clear.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Thirty years ago I was like you: full of piss and vinegar and determined to take on the world to reform motorists by enforcing road rules. Now I use a rear vision mirror on my helmet and get out of the way.

My $0.02 of advice: take it to the cops but expect to be ignored.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:25 pm

Nah I reckons it's a Y

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:26 pm

i watched the HD version and its definately JEY

nail the prick i say

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Dunno 'bout NSW Wayno.

I really wish it were different, but what some call cynicism, others call experience.

Good luck.

Shaun

Ummm, Brisbane is in QLD .... :lol:
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 pm

:oops: So I'm led to believe...

Dunno why I thought Wayno was a NSW lad, sorry mate.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Old Hutcho

Postby Old Hutcho » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:46 pm

waynoh

It doesnt look like he was using indicators. It doesnt look like he was giving you enough room. If he clipped your glove like you say he did you can rely on your evidence of observation. The video will not give you that evidence.

If they have no specific offence they can give him a neg drive which in NSW at least needs the following proofs:- "1: public street. 2: motor vehicle. 3: driver. 4: did what a reasonable or prudent driver would not do, or omitted to do what a reasonable and prudent driver would not omit to do."

I reckon you should go and drop this on them bogan cops and ask to speak to the Highway Patrol supervisor. Better still, ring the station and make an appointment. Do NOT just drop it on the poor bugger at the front counter. You will just be another small annoyance in a VERY LONG LINE of small annoyances in any 12 hour shift for him/her.

regards

Old Hutcho

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Will they do anything? Who can tell...
Is it worth reporting? Always

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 pm

What the driver did was wrong.

But taking up most of the lane, when you don't need to just pisses drivers off.

Yeah, yeah I know on multi lane roads it's legal for riders to sit 'in' the 1st lane, but keep on doing it, and these won't be the last close calls you have.

Doing it is just asking for trouble, due to frustrated drivers.

Btw you're all over the shop in the 3rd video.

No wonder people were getting jacked off.

zozza

Postby zozza » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Nah mate, dont think they would bother, but they might joke about it over donuts :| (sadly)

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Waynohh, if you don't get taken seriously by the police perhaps you might talk to the local member of parliament.
After all, isn't your local MP supposed to be representing you in dealings with government agencies ?

It might be a significant breakthrough in Queensland/Australian Law if a successful prosecution resulted from your video and complaint. Good luck. Good for all of us.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:40 pm

I would suggest you actually attend a police station rather then asking members of an online forum.

You are reporting someone that has driven in a manner that has put you in danger as a road user, even if inadvertantly. Report the matter as such, calmly and factually. Have the video footage burned to a disc or format that can be easily viewed on a windows compatible computer. Take a hardcopy of the frame showing the rego.

Express your very real safety concerns in relation to the incident and request to make a statement in relation to the matter. If thats not possible immediately note the name of the member you are speaking with and follow up. When reports have been completed there will be an incident/ reference number as with any governemt agency. Ask for it.

You may or may not get the RESULT you like but the process has been followed and your report is on file.

People who rant and rave irrationally don't tend to be taken as seriously in any walk of life.

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 pm

Hey Waynohh,

Is that the new ContourHD cam you are using in those clips?...looks pretty good for being attached to the bike...

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:53 pm

waynohh wrote:Description:
Rego 609-JEY clipped my glove. 60km/hr speed limit, 6 lane road. I was doing 50km/h, traffic was doing 60km/h, offender had to be doing at least 70km/h.

Enoggera road inbound towards Newmarket pool 02/09/2009.

Short 20sec version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYB6kLtiBRQ

Full 60sec version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmhvX-A39lE

If I take this to the cops, will they do anything at all?

I'm of the opinion they just won't give a s***. I'm sure there may be a few that care about this sort of thing, but mostly they're just people who drive the same as the rest of the ignorant drivers out there. By the way this belief is based on my own hard evidence, not speculation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNeIVkJy9o

This is the second time this has happened in 2 weeks. The first time I was on my road bike without the camera but could sprint after the offender. I caught up about 1km down the road at lights and bashed on their window but the driver did the "stare ahead like nothing happened". This time I was on a mtb so had no chance of catching up.
You need to go into a police station, take the video on a CD in a format they can easily play and they will follow it up. A lot of police in my area cycle and they take stuff like this very seriously especially if you have witnesses - in this case you have solid gold evidence. But you need to go in, make a formal statement etc... If you just phone through the rego number nothing will happen.

I would only do this if you think the guy deliberately tried to scare / hit you but thats a personal choice.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:11 am

G'day

For what it is worth I got hit by a teenager hanging out of car window. I was lucky and had a witness. I reported it, made a formal complaint and the kid was spoken to and I got an apology.

The matter was followed up, it was taken seriously. Personally I would go talk to your local police as has been suggested.

Regards
Andrew