Lets begin

zoom bean

Lets begin

Postby zoom bean » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Interesting that this sub forum should appear now, quite handy for me.

Been starting to think of a new goal to keep me occupied since I am about to achieve my current goal and was thinking about making the next goal to complete a triathlon. Going by the distances here, I would like to think the Olympic distance should be achievable in the near future. I think the 10km run will be the toughest for me personally.

So has anyone here done one? or regularly do them?

Got any beginner tips? Thinking more towards the run & swimming legs, or just any tips really.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:38 pm

If it's an out and back swim course, you only need to learn to swim half the distance (your survival instinct will make sure you can swim back to shore).
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Really? :shock: :?

steely

Postby steely » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi ZB

I've done a few over all most distances up to Ironman.

What I can offer is to do plenty of running off the bike. If you go for a ride 2-3 hrs then do a 20m run straight after. It does 2 things, firstly it gets you used to running on fatigued legs using different muscle groups and secondly it helps with the transitions.

You will find that the run is where it's all at and most of the leading people will have avg to good swim/ bike combos but be great runners.

give it a go, you'll have fun.

remember there's 3 sports to train for and don't worry about of the tossers in transition and what bike bling they may have.

just enjoy it

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:15 pm

also practice taking it easy and pacing yourself in the transitions.....it is very easy with the cheering of the croud to go out too hard and fast (especially on the run leg) and get your heart rate all messed up.
Andrew

zoom bean

Postby zoom bean » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:33 pm

steely wrote:You will find that the run is where it's all at and most of the leading people will have avg to good swim/ bike combos but be great runners.
Bugger, think that is going to be my weak link. Nevermind, I'm not out to compete with the place getters at this stage.
steely wrote:give it a go, you'll have fun.
Yeah that's the plan. Have a bit of fun and just make it over the finish line feeling good.

Thanks for the tips so far.

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Hey Zoom Bean,
I have been doing triathlons for about 2 years now. Started when I saw a mate doing them and how much weight he had lost. I have never done an ironman, don't have the time to train. However have done the Olympic distance event. My advice for the running and swimming parts is below;

1) If you are an ordinary swimmer (like I am) get yourself into a club so you can get stroke correction. This will help reduce times in the water, and reduce the amount of energy you burn in the first leg. Being 5 - 7 minutes behind out of the water is hard to make up now matter how good a rider/runner you are. Swimming in triathlons is all about the upper body. You really shouldn't use your legs they are going to be burnt in the next two legs.
2) Do plenty of what is called brick training, running off the bike. You will find your legs like rubber when you first jump off the bike, you need to get used to this and know how to combat it. Sometimes it will feel like a bad cramp in the calf if you don't prepare for the run on the bike. My advice here was handed to me by a very good triathlete, when coming into transition off the bike, for the last km, go to a higher gear and spin the pedals at high rpm. Then when you start running, short steps until you get your rhythm then stride out.
3) Go in a couple of triathlons to get used to open water swimming. It is nothing like swimming in the pool doing laps. It is choppy, there are legs and arms everywhere and there is no lane line to follow. Many a triathlete has had a panic attack in the water which has ruined it for them. (I had one which resulted in me swimming back stroke for half the swim leg)
4) You need time to train. To improve your swimming conventional wisdom is three swims a week to improve. That is at least three hours a week plus travel. You are going to need to run at least once so another hour, and at least 200 - 300 km per week on the bike (my suggestion).

Finally good, luck they are very addictive.
Yesterday was an easy day.

bracko

Postby bracko » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:53 pm

awesome :D

I've been getting my fitness up for Tri's and hope to start doing them as a fun sport next summer!

any hints tips or good training sites/books?

also what clubs are out there? I'm probably more interested in sprint/shorter tri's to start on.

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:51 pm

any hints tips or good training sites/books?
Try this website

http://www.trinewbies.com/index.asp
also what clubs are out there? I'm probably more interested in sprint/shorter tri's to start on.
Depends on where in Sydney you are. Go to the triathlon NSW website and you could probably find a few linked in there. Panthers at Penrith is a very large club, you have the hills tri club, LAPD in Sydney itself and you have the Sutherland Tri club from the Shire. Good luck with it, as a member of Panthers I know that first year membership is $80 and to renew every year only costs $40. If you start doing a few you might want to Join Triathlon NSW which I think is about $100. This saves you about $3 - $5 per triathlon when you enter.
Yesterday was an easy day.

bracko

Postby bracko » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:07 am

thanks, I've got that site :)

as for the clubs, that's something i haven't seen, so many thanks.

what are the clubs like? are they competitive, or can people who are simply aiming to "just finish the race" encouraged to attend as well? while i probably will become competitive, currently I am just looking at tri as a way to keep fit and active.

hillstriclub

Re: Lets begin

Postby hillstriclub » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:50 pm

If your looking at a Triathlon club in Sydney; I highly recommend coming along and sampling a Hills Brick training session at Parramatta Park (we meet on the Westmead side of the park & close to the train line). The session is on every week starting at 7.30am. It's the perfect way to develop your triathlon skills and is run by coaches who will help you master the skill of running off the bike and help you dramatically reduce your transition times.

All you need is to bring along your bike, helmet and running shoes.

In regards to fitness levels we cater for all levels. Tailoring the training sessions to your needs so you can ease yourself into the sport with an lighter training and racing program and over the year you'll see the improvements week to week. We have a lot of new people joining the club with a range of fitness levels so there is always someone to spar with.

Over the summer months the Hills club have a series of triathlons at the Penrith Regatta Centre with races over a variety of distances. During the cooler months we also host the Sydney Duathlon Series. Year round we offer races to test your skills.

For more info check out the website www.hillstriclub.com

Dave Harris
Hills Tri Member

whitestivo

Postby whitestivo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:39 pm

get into the ocean and learn to swim

this is the hardest part of triathlon, as mentioned above plenty of people been panicked in the swim and blew it

whitestivo

a.brasington

Postby a.brasington » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:53 am

I have just started tris as well, and coming from a swimming background I suppose thats the most technical discipline taken care of.

I guess the best thing to do if your not confident in the swim, is to hang back at the start so you don't get pummelled!