good bike shop?

daj

good bike shop?

Postby daj » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi guys, looking to buy my first road bike the weekend for a bit of fitness and hopefully enter a few community rides once up to speed. Pretty new to Adelaide so could someone please recommend a good shop to start my search as theres loads in the phone book. Don't want to go crazy on the price prob around 2-2500.

cheers!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:06 am

I bought my bike from Plymton Cycles - small shop but no problems.

Of the bigger shops, try :

Super Elliots : in Rundle Street - good range and good prices
Bicycle Express : - Hurtle Street - lots of yummy gear at upper prices, but good choice and good service
Revolution Cycle Cente : On South Rd at Edwardstown, good gear and very good service
Cumberland Cycles : Goodwood Road in Cumberland Park (funnily enough) - again a smallish shop, but good prices in lower end of market and good service

There the ones I regularly haunt. There are others like JT, Standish etc, but I feel that these are better.

Let us know what your thoughts are, and how you get on.

daj

Postby daj » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:12 pm

cheers michael for that, didn't fancy driving round loads of shops so I'll give those a go. Thanks again!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 pm

daj wrote:cheers michael for that, didn't fancy driving round loads of shops so I'll give those a go. Thanks again!
So how did you go ?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:09 pm

MichaelB wrote:Super Elliots : in Rundle Street - good range and good prices
I didn't even realise they were still going. Last time I was in there, and that was years ago, they were still operating but in a greatly diminished manner within a store that had obviously become something much bigger and broader.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:15 pm

I don't know what they trade under now (sign is still there), but it's not in the phone book.

Have the usual range of Giant's, but also have Scott & Shogun, and quite a wide range of accessories and bits & bobs.

A bit crowded, but worth a look.

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:26 pm

It would also be worth anyones time to have a look at Bernie Jones Cycles at Warradale.
Very knowledgable people in there with a good range of bikes and accessories.
I bought my Felt in there after being given the run around from two other retailers.

Super Elliots are the sole retailer of Ridley in SA i think.

europa

Postby europa » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:58 pm

I like Bernie Jones. Great shop with great people and a very nice hoard of old stuff upstairs.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:00 pm

europa wrote:I like Bernie Jones. Great shop with great people and a very nice hoard of old stuff upstairs.

Richard
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock: :shock: :shock:

europa

Postby europa » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:09 pm

MichaelB wrote:
europa wrote:I like Bernie Jones. Great shop with great people and a very nice hoard of old stuff upstairs.

Richard
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh yeah. I got my Shimano600 front derailleur, brand new, from there :D They are actually the modern version of the old time bike shop. My only complaint is that they'll only sell what's on the floor, but that is balanced by admitting when they don't have something to suit you (ie, they don't try to force you onto something that doesn't work like most others will). I've bought a number of things from upstairs. Mind you, they're used to me now - you can see them hiding in corners and pushing the apprentice out :shock:

Seriously. Bernie Jones Cycles - a good shop with good people.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:11 pm

europa wrote:I've bought a number of things from upstairs. Mind you, they're used to me now - you can see them hiding in corners and pushing the apprentice out :shock:
Go in and ask them if they have a double legged kick stand.

One of these maybe - SKS (formerly ESGE) Pletscher Double Kickstand

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

qvw

Postby qvw » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:00 am

I am a bit of a novice cyclist as well - but I ONLY shop at Trak Cycles in Noorwood. They have a terrific range of low/middle and high end bikes. I just bough a BMC Swiss made bike from them and it's fantastic to ride. I've had Giants and other bikes in the past but this BMC machine is by far the best thing I have ever ridden.

Glen from Traks will gladly assist and their service is possibly the best service I've received from any shop - ever. Now that is saying something!!

Even their bike servicing is terrific.

I urge anyone out there to give them a go. Seriously good!!!

stevos

Postby stevos » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:19 pm

lol you wouldnt work at or own the store would you qvw :P
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong

qvw

Postby qvw » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Nah - I dont (I wish I did though)... Wouldnt it be great to own a shop where all items you buy are a tax write-off!!!

stevos

Postby stevos » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:39 pm

i wouldnt make any money if i owned a bike shop, lol :lol:
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong