Commuting to Brindabella Park

james8101

Commuting to Brindabella Park

Postby james8101 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Hello,

In an effort to get fit, I've been looking into cycling to work. I've never commuted before, but have a strong perception that it is quite unsafe-mainly because I have little faith in drivers. My ride will take me to Brindabella Park via the airport.

In particular, Pialligo Ave--with trucks etc driving by at 80-100, and Glenora Drive--same situation but with no bike lane whatsoever, seem a bit too risky.

Does anybody have any advice/experience commuting along this route or in general? I'd be keen to hear whether cycling to work, in general, is as dangerous as I think.

Cheers!

aleg75

Postby aleg75 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:08 pm

G'Day mate, bad place to commute, I rode past it once on a weekend and it was terrible! that was before Brand Depot was built. That place really needs some paths and sholders on the roads. Do you know anyone else that rides to and from work that way? I reckon you would need balls of steel to do that ride!

Good luck with it though! I guess the only bad part about the commute is the last or first 5 minutes of your daily ride.

Ash

favs

How did you go?

Postby favs » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi James

I am about to start commuting between queanbeyan and russell offices. How did you go with you query about bikepaths?

Perhaps Canberra Ave is the way to go?

Cheers

Ben

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:16 pm

James,

Assuming your coming from Canberra, I reckon I'd attack it from Fairbairn Av, a bit less traffic and you might be able to slip up Nomad Drive on a bike.

Try this link...
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=e ... 9&t=h&z=17

brent84

Postby brent84 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:13 am

I did this ride for about 6 months when i worked in Fairbairn. It's not as bad as you think during peak hour. My only advice is to take your time getting around traffic...drivers never seemed to react well to bikes flying past them while they're stuck in traffic.

Where are you coming from? I used to go down limestone ave, then up past the war memorial etc...
Some people say i have a bad attitude...those people are stupid.

james8101

Re: Commuting to Brindabella Park

Postby james8101 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Hello again,

Well since I originally posted I've stopped riding to work--mainly due to a combination of the roadworks and an unpredictable work schedule. Just posting again, out of interest, to see if anyone is riding to Fairbairn Park / Brindabella Park, and how they're finding it.

Cheers!

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:24 am

Not yet, but I will be next year, when I move office to Fairbairn. I'll be coming from the North, so will be coming down Limestone, Fairbairn Ave, then onto the Airport road (not sure of name).

However, I won't be doing this until the road works are finished. That place is an absolute death trap right now. I particularly love the "cyclists use gravel path" detour at the end of Fairbairn av. "Um, excuse me, but how does NO CHANCE sound to you, fine sir?"

james8101

Postby james8101 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 am

Yeah it does look pretty dicey around that part. I've got a mountain bike, so used to ride off road until ADFA, then basically the same route you said. The gravel shoulders there don't really offer an option for road bikes at all! I did see a sign this morning offering a detour--I think it goes near the oval and nursery opposite the airport-maybe this is suitable for road bikes? (I haven't had a chance to take a close look at it).

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Is Fairbain the one from the War Memorial down through Campbell? I rode that way about 2 weekends ago and went over a bridge and ended up on a nice flat bit with a good shoulder trying to get my way to the Monaro Highway. It was only a bit hairy near the traffic light and bridge. (From memory there was an oval on the left).

Sorry - I'm a southsider. :lol:

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:43 pm

cp123 wrote:Is Fairbain the one from the War Memorial down through Campbell?
Yes
cp123 wrote:I rode that way about 2 weekends ago and went over a bridge and ended up on a nice flat bit with a good shoulder trying to get my way to the Monaro Highway. It was only a bit hairy near the traffic light and bridge. (From memory there was an oval on the left).
No, this wasn't Fairbairn. If I understand you right, you would have gone down Fairbairn, starts at War Memorial, goes up hill a little bit, through a round about, past the Mt Ainslie turn off to the left, down a bit of a hill, through another round about, then at the lights you would have turned right? When you turned right, you turned onto Morshead Rd, which turns into Monaro Highway, this is where you would have gone through a set of lights then crossed the bridge immediately?

Back where you turned right at the lights, if you keep going straight you will stay on Fairbairn which runs into Pialligo Dr, and heads towards the Airport.

I hope I've got your position correct.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:19 pm

Yes - you got my description right. :D Sorry thats exactly where i mean. :oops: :oops:

McFAIL! :lol:

Well that route was fine anyway.