Accident on Lilyfield road this evening

othy

Accident on Lilyfield road this evening

Postby othy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Arrived just after it happened on my way home tonight. Looked like everyones worst nightmare coming down the big hill on Lilyfield Road.

Car was pulled out across the road from the left with a cyclist lying on the road down hill. He was concious and talking, but not getting up. The car was hard to see as it was dark and didn't have its hazards on so I rode back to the top of the hill to slow traffic / cyclists down. Waited until the police arrived, who could provide some flashing lights and some warning to anyone going down. Couldn't offer anything as I didn't witness it, his wife was coming to the scene according to some witnesses who were sticking around. He was riding a ?Giant Yukon? and was around 50 years old

Here is where it was -
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 8,,0,20.94

Anyone else see it?

sogood

Re: Accident on Lilyfield road this evening

Postby sogood » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Sorry to hear about the accident on a route we know so well. Hope there's nothing too serious. Good job for riding back up to warn riders.

At that location, the cyclist has the right of way. But irrespective, I wonder if he was a sufficiently visible target (front flasher/fluoro vest)? At dusk, it's easy to lose sight of a cyclist riding close to parked cars.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

othy

Postby othy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Pretty sure he had a fluro vest and/or jersey on, but didn't get a look at his light setup.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:53 pm

Not good to hear about.

Were ambos called ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

othy

Postby othy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Yes, ambulance was called. Police arrived first and started basic first aid. I left at that point.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:22 pm

othy wrote:Yes, ambulance was called. Police arrived first and started basic first aid. I left at that point.
Good point to leave. You'd done everything you could - and a little more in terms of providing warning to your fellow cyclists. Great civic service othy, give yourself a pat on the back.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:13 am

Jeez! I'm always worried heading down that stretch so i take the middle of the road, not the bike lane. The bike lane is way too dangerous (i have seen a few near misses in the last year in said bike lane). At night the drivers look down at the road to see headlights of cars rather than giving a good look for bicycles on a lot of occasions (even though the bike lane is painted on the road).

I'm pretty sure i passed him on the way home last night before the accident. Hope the guy is ok and back on the bike soon.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Tippo

Postby Tippo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 am

Hi Othy,

I was one of the people that you slowed down at the top of the hill. Thanks for that - otherwise it would have been easy to go down the hill way too fast into the group of people and cars. I am glad to hear that the cyclist was conscious - seeing him on the ground I feared the worst, since my wife and I have both had close calls going down that hill. I also ride in the middle of the road, and try to anticipate cars coming from the side. One thing I do find strange: there is a "speed bump" (unintended I think - the product of a badly filled trench of some kind) at the bottom of the hill, which makes coming down at speed even dicier.

brookts

Postby brookts » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:25 am

Id blame those ridiculous bew bike lanes. Riding next to parked cars hides you from side streets. This week ive had 2 close accidents on crown st in sydney from car doors or cars turning over the lane without looking. They dont notice the road so dont worry about checking. Bikes should be ridding on the road and in the lane and drivers educated about shared rights. Simple.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:29 am

wombatK wrote:
othy wrote:Yes, ambulance was called. Police arrived first and started basic first aid. I left at that point.
Good point to leave. You'd done everything you could - and a little more in terms of providing warning to your fellow cyclists. Great civic service othy, give yourself a pat on the back.

Cheers
Well done othy.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

1world

Postby 1world » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 pm

the guy was lucky and unlucky at the same time. unlucky to to have had the accident , lucky to still be alive.
you can easily hit 40-50km/hr coming down there. think i was 2nd or 3rd on the scene, i was halfway down the hill when the accident
happened - he was off his bike at that point and crawling to the right side of the road.

the car was 90deg to the road in the left hand lane approx opposite to the road that leads to Le Montage.
The first impact looked to be just infront of the driver door, with the right wing mirror smashed , then a body or head impact to the
windscreen -- a very substantial helmet sized circular crater at its centre.

certainly a wake up call to be xtra attentive on that stretch.

p.s. the tow truck was there in 5min and the ambo 20mins later. i didn't see any police there before the ambo.