Joondalup to Fremantle - Best Route

Aushiker

Joondalup to Fremantle - Best Route

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:59 pm

G'day Fellow Sandgropers

Looks like I will be doing some trips from work at Joondalup (Edith Cowan University) to Fremantle and looking for advice on the best path options.

My thinking is just heading over to the coast and then following the bike paths all the way.

The other alternative is the freeway, but I suspect this would be longer/slower.

Assuming the first option any suggestions on the best way to get from campus to the coast?

Status of the coast paths?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:13 pm

When I need to go from the city to Freo, I always take the slightly further route of travelling down the fwy to the Canning bridge and then through Applecross. It's flatter and without many traffic control systems (lights, stop signs etc), so it's usually faster for me. Plus it's a much prettier ride along the river.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:21 pm

Welcome to the Northern 'burbs!! We are nice people up here :)

There is a map in bike shops (or from DPI) for the Sunset Coast that covers the route from freo to joons along the coast. It is 50km that way. I haven't ridden it yet - soggy stuff was falling from the sky when I planned to - but the path from joons to city beach would be faster than the freeway route and is a better quality. The Freeway path actually goes along a few streets too so there is a chance of getting lost for the first few times :oops: .

The other alternative you have is to ride to the city and train it to Joons. You will be going against peak hour traffic on the train so should be able to take your bike with no dramas - same heading home. It would halve the journey but may be an option. It is only a short ride from the station to the uni.

As far as getting from the coast to the uni, up Hodges Drive (current freeway end) would be best. Hodges has a good cycleway that takes you around the freeway extension work happening (the road is often sandy/rocky but path is fine). It would also give you an easy run down to the uni too - lights at marmion ave, freeway, and joondalup drive and you are there!!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:34 pm

I haven't ridden it yet - soggy stuff was falling from the sky when I planned to
In someone's sig line, there's something about "to ride or not to ride" ..... I wonder what she means? :lol:

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks Moo. Sort of info I was looking for. The Hodges Road option sound the go. I assume one can get right through to the coast okay that way? I guess I should check the maps!

I will ride the freeway from home (Churchlands) to Joondalup as that seems the best option. First ride next week and will make use of the train option when I have to be at work first thing in the AM.

Andrew

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:56 pm

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:49 pm

The Freeway path actually goes along a few streets too so there is a chance of getting lost for the first few times .

Desparately trying to avoid making sexist comment here! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Gary

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:00 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:The Freeway path actually goes along a few streets too so there is a chance of getting lost for the first few times .

Desparately trying to avoid making sexist comment here! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Gary
If you went as fast as I do, then you may miss the odd sign post too!! :wink:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:04 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Moo. Sort of info I was looking for. The Hodges Road option sound the go. I assume one can get right through to the coast okay that way? I guess I should check the maps!
Yes...Hodges goes from the uni (near enough) and straight down to the beach. It is actually part of my regular ride so I can tell you where all the bumps are if you like :D It is a very slight uphill from the uni heading west...then downhill all the way. Perfect way for you to head home.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:44 pm

moosterbounce wrote:The Freeway path actually goes along a few streets too so there is a chance of getting lost for the first few times :oops: .
I can't even find it up here. Is the path on the east or west side of the northern freeway? (where there is a path).

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:10 pm

1. The path is on the East from Joondalup (start of freeway) and then you cross to the west just after Greenwood station.

2. You then head back over to the East side again at the bridge before Stirling Station. (where the City of Stirling council offices are.)

3. You can then cross to the West again just before Osborne Park.

4. After that you head over to the East again at Glendalough station.

5. It's East all the way then until Northbridge.

It's not as difficult as it sounds! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look for it on the east side near here, but I know from experience it disappears totally around Osborne Park.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:53 pm

If you are going towards the city - there is a path that goes down toward Lake Monger. Or, just after the Glendalough train station, there is a bridge that goes to the Mt Hawthorn side. From there, you can follow the bike path all the way into Northbridge, though once there, you will need to travel toward the train station to pick up the path again.

Alternately, go over at Loftus and into West Perth and pick up the bike path there.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:14 pm

heavymetal wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look for it on the east side near here, but I know from experience it disappears totally around Osborne Park.
Are you sure? There is a bike path right down the east side from the City of Stirling offices past Osborne Park to Lake Monger/Leederville.

I pick it up at Lake Monger to head to Joondalup.

Andrew