Water Supplies

gururug

Water Supplies

Postby gururug » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:22 pm

Just thought i'd start a general discussion on water wusspies.

One 750ml bottle lasts me roughly 1hr30mins (30degress light wind realtively flat route). So I am guessing that the max distance capable with self sufficient bottles (no refills, 2 bidons only) is about 3hrs.

Do you guys refill in peoples front lawns or buy refills?

Do many of you use hydration backpacks of going over this time?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:36 pm

I have a Makismo water back pack which has been modified to take two 2 litre bladders.

I have two 1 litre Zefal plastic bottles on the frame and the BOB trailer has 2 oversized rear cages on which hold a 1.5 litre bottle each, giving me 3 litres.

In the heat here I go through 1 litre an hour. The total of 9 litres gets me through a day on tour. If stealth camping I have a 5 litre plastic jerry can which goes in the BOB trailer.

I usually refill from football clubs, golf courses, peoples front taps and occasionally a road house which sells the big bottles of cold water.

I've also got a 2 litre thermos which sits in a pannier for hot or cold liquid.

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:33 pm

Depends on the time of day. Early morning rides I drink more, probably because I've not had a drink (except pre ride drink) since the night before.

I went through 600-700ml within 7kms today but then I am in a more humid part of the world than you people. I had another 700ml when I got back (after 20kms) and then a further 600ml at work.

I've been considering the hydration pack for long training/social rides. It allows a larger capacity and saves stopping and going back to pick up dropped bottles. No, it wasn't me, it was someone we were riding with.

If I was truly thirsty I'd fill my bottle from a muddy puddle.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:34 pm

One water bottle an hour for me. On hot days, even more. Dunnies are good refill spots, as are bike shops. Don't know that anyone'd knock you back a bottle of water, but there are all sorts out there.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:16 pm

At 30deg, I'd probably go thru 1 750ml bottle every 45 minutes, so 1 1/2 hours on 2 bottles. Fill up at the servo, if required.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:34 am

Its about one 750ml bottle per hour for me, and don't forget to have a good drink before you leave home, as you don't want to waste too much water just getting the body hydrated properly at the start of a ride. As for filling up, its basically anywhere there is a tap (quite often a petrol station) but don't make it too obvious if filling up from someones front yard tap, and make sure its not a grey-water tap.

thm

Postby thm » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:25 pm

I recently bought a hydro pack and was a bit perplexed as to why I wasn't able to get any water when I was sucking with the mouthpiece supplied.

Upon further investigation it seems that there is no hole in my mouthpiece for said water to escape from. :oops:

Having never bought a hydro pack before I didn't realise you needed to cut holes into the mouthpiece. So my question is where abouts is the most ideal place? Logic tells me the end of the mouthpiece. However there are grooves on the top and bottom of the mouthpiece for you to bite on. Since the plastic is thinner here, maybe it would be easier to make holes here. Plus two holes maybe better than one. :wink: Anybody got any suggestions? Or should I just follow logic and cut a hole at the end of the mouthpiece?

I don't care if this is the stupidest question, I'm not thinking straight when I'm dehydrated. :lol:

europa

Postby europa » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:40 pm

You don't want to cut holes in it, all the water will leak out :D

If it's any consolation, I would have had the same problem. Might be just a manufacturing fault.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:55 pm

I am ashamed to say that after a 3 hour ride I would come home with a nearly full bottle. Shorter rides I dont take one. As of tuesday that all changed, I learnt the joys of passing a kidney stone. One of the more unpleasant experiences I have had. The biddon is going to be reattached to the bike.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:58 pm

if its a camelbak on mine you squeeze the end with teeth/lips which opens a slot and water comes out. I'd take it back if there was no hole there. Don't think I'd trust myself to cut a hole in it!

europa

Postby europa » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:47 am

tallywhacker wrote:I am ashamed to say that after a 3 hour ride I would come home with a nearly full bottle. Shorter rides I dont take one. As of tuesday that all changed, I learnt the joys of passing a kidney stone. One of the more unpleasant experiences I have had. The biddon is going to be reattached to the bike.
Ooooch :shock: I haven't experienced it but my best friend makes a habit of it. His stories make my eyes water. Drink lots lads and lassies, it beats the alternative.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:58 am

tallywhacker wrote:I am ashamed to say that after a 3 hour ride I would come home with a nearly full bottle. Shorter rides I dont take one. As of tuesday that all changed, I learnt the joys of passing a kidney stone. One of the more unpleasant experiences I have had. The biddon is going to be reattached to the bike.
That sounds painful. Is it related to water consumption?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:18 am

mikesbytes wrote:That sounds painful. Is it related to water consumption?
Low water consumption, low urine output, low urine flow and concentrated urine are all contributing factors.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

thm

Postby thm » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:22 am

needsapush wrote:if its a camelbak on mine you squeeze the end with teeth/lips which opens a slot and water comes out. I'd take it back if there was no hole there. Don't think I'd trust myself to cut a hole in it!
Hmmm yeah I bite down on the grooves and no magic hole appears. I'm quite tempted to cut a hole though but knowing me it'll be too big. So I take it is meant to be a really thin slit at the end of the mouthpiece.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:28 am

mikesbytes wrote:That sounds painful. Is it related to water consumption?
yup, the way I used to know if I needed to drink was if I got a pain in the kidneys then drink.
I was told at the track a while ago that if you need to drink then drink but its too late to properly hydrate. You need to plan ahead, If you know you are riding then you should properly hydrate the day before.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:47 am

The classic hydration guideline I read is 1L/h. Pretty easy to remember.

For hard activities longer than 4-5 hours, there's the additional concern of over- as well as under-hydration. Water intoxication can be as bad if not worse than dehydration.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

stated

re

Postby stated » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:08 pm

2~300ml for 50min

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:40 pm

sogood wrote:The classic hydration guideline I read is 1L/h. Pretty easy to remember.

For hard activities longer than 4-5 hours, there's the additional concern of over- as well as under-hydration. Water intoxication can be as bad if not worse than dehydration.
I would say that is about right for a "normal" ride in 30 degrees. Race conditions and hotter/windier/colder weather will make a difference, but this is a good measure.

A friend of mine ended up in hospital after finishing an iron man triathlon...he was 3kg heavier than when he started after 12 hours of racing. Too much liquid I'm afraid...he stayed overnight and just had to wait for it to pass...literally. It was a warm day and he is a super-sweater, so didn't want to dehydrate. He said it wasn't pretty and "not to try this at home"!!

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:42 pm

Hmmm yeah I bite down on the grooves and no magic hole appears. I'm quite tempted to cut a hole though but knowing me it'll be too big. So I take it is meant to be a really thin slit at the end of the mouthpiece.[/quote]

Just had a closer look for you, do my best to decribe it. If the mouth piece was in your mouth and you squeezed it to get water a slot opens up in the middle. The slot runs from the bottom of the mouth piece to the top. I'm pretty sure you can buy these separately if you do try and cut it your self and get it a bit wrong!

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:18 pm

an interesting article justread on Pez "Hydration and Hyponatremia"
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5193