TTT

toolonglegs

TTT

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:20 pm

In a TTT (39km road)...how much above ftp could you push when you are doing your turn...to hopefully recover below ftp when the other 3 are up?.
I am seriously out of my depth on this one...the other 3 are all on full TT bikes...I wont be (but will get bar extensions).They are also very good cat1 riders where as I am not!.
What was I thinking!!!.2 weeks to go...eek.
Anyone done one...hints?.

Ant.

Re: TTT

Postby Ant. » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:26 pm

No idea! After 10km, you'll either be dropped or you'll have it worked out. Sounds like it'll be a hard day in the saddle for someone :lol:
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 pm

I did one up at Calaga couple of months ago. After the event we were able to analyse what we did good and what we did bad.

As the other 3 are clearly experienced at TTT's and probably have a good gauge of your abilities, I'd say they would be the best ones to answer your questions.

I'd put it this way, if you were in a group of 4 riders who were working together to catch the breakaway in front of you, what would they be doing.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:53 pm

You'll need to talk with them but if you are 4th rider and less aero, it will be a fun day in the office :lol:

The trick with TTT is for the pace to be as constant as possible. Stronger riders do longer turns, not faster ones. Weaker riders do shorter turns, not slower ones.

Try to get a position behind the guy punching the largest hole through the air.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 pm

hmmm...much as I suspected...a hard day in the saddle...well a hard 50-55 minutes anyway.
C'est mon imputation définitive.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Try to get a position behind the guy punching the largest hole through the air.
That would be TLL

Ian, would your budget stretch to a cheap set of aero bars?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Try to get a position behind the guy punching the largest hole through the air.
That would be TLL

Ian, would your budget stretch to a cheap set of aero bars?
which then requires different brake levers, gear levers and cabling..... and ends up not so cheap.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:08 am

Yeah I thought about it but this will be me only TT this year...bar extension will have to do.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 am

toolonglegs wrote:Yeah I thought about it but this will be me only TT this year...bar extension will have to do.
That's what I meant

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:19 am

As what Alex has said, keep the same pace as they are setting but a shorter turn and try and fit behind someone who has a larger aero profile to recover. I have 3 weeks until my next ITT, I have to finish 3rd to get into the points so at the end of the 4 race series I want to finish in the top 3.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:02 am

mikesbytes wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Yeah I thought about it but this will be me only TT this year...bar extension will have to do.
That's what I meant
He already said he was going to use clip on extensions.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Yup going to buy some today...I hope.
Will hopefully get to ride the course today with the bunch...hopefully without the near death experience of a car rolling past me like last thursday night!.
They only need 3 to finish to record a time but obviously I want to be there at the finish as well!.
But stil haven't had it 100% confirmed....it is France after all!.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:12 pm

I went for a ride on my tt bike today for the first time in quite a while. Without the fast wheels skinsuit and aero helmet etc I reckon it is an easy 3kmh faster than my road bike. Your clipons will help but I'd get them on quickly and try to get as good a position as you can, there will be a bit of mucking around trying to get it right probably.

You should start lobbying for a tt bike, I reckon it's the best event in cycling, the itt is my favourite anyway.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:01 pm

LOL...lobby for a TT bike :D ...I don't think my wife would worry too much if I bought one...but I wouldn't use it that often.I prefer racing up close...and there seem to be very few events here for TT's.They have a couple leading up to regioal champs and this one TTT...plus a few two man events,so it would only get used at max 6 times a year...
Nope thinking of getting this...good price and means I get new bike for little more than price of the SRM cranks :D ...maybe next season!.
http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/articl ... o=A1000258

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Nice 8) light too :o
But if you had this those other 3 blokes would be the ones suffering :twisted:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:16 am

Parrott wrote:
Nice 8) light too :o
But if you had this those other 3 blokes would be the ones suffering :twisted:
Or a whole bike for less than the frame!
http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/articl ... o=A1016575
But from email i just got might not be able to do it in the end...license change problems!.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 am

Sold, surely :o that is a great site.

By the way I hope you are being very nice to your wife, there aren't many around who'll sign a blank check for a new bike without any groundwork :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Yup bought the prolongateur's but won't get to use them :roll: ...they won't let me ride as politics is at work.Also old club is making it difficult to ride with a team there as we would be made up of a team where at least two of us are changing clubs.Problem is my old club is putting on the Team Time Trial and they don't have enough of their own racers to even field one team!.
Got to say I am bit !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! off...not just for buying the bits as I will leave them on my training bike but I was quite keen on testing myself.
Still trying to decide if I will race this weekend as weather has gone south and it will be wet....and with 150 or so registered in my Cat in a 80km crit on a two km circuit which is lethal even in the dry...maybe my season is already over :oops: .

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:01 pm

It's pretty ordinary having politics interfere and stop you having a go.
Are there no other TT's you can have a bash at? There must be a few somewhere if people are showing up on TT bikes?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Yes it's not great...September is club change over time and it is pretty complicated.
Put it this way to join my new club...

I have to visit the doctor for a medical.
I have to sign and adhere to clubs charter.
I have to deposit a bond to guarantee I compete in a certain amount of races next season.
Pay fees.
By club kit...you must ride in club kit.You can not race in anything else here.
I have to get 4 different people to sign my change of club forms.Must be done before end of month or they can refuse.
I have to lodge application for 2010 race season.

...yup they love paper work here.In OZ you turn up...pay a fee and race.
But season is over totally in 10 days and I am pretty sure there is nothing else on.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Nope I found a couple of Gentleman Route CLM in October ( I thik they are 2 man TT's)...don't even need a license for those...just Doctor's cert.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:20 pm

While not quite as bureacratic as France, in NSW:
- you are not permitted to race in a championship event within 2 months of transfer to new club
- Transfers require a release signed by old club.
- Membership application must be accepted by new club.
- In all open and championships events, you must wear your official registered club, sponsor or rep jersey, or a completely plain (pref white) jersey, no advertising at all.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:47 am

Bloody politics :lol: ...oh well.I went for my first ever ride with clip ons :oops: ...only been racing bikes for 15 years :oops: :oops: :oops: .
Boy they make a difference...I am not worried about getting low or anything,leaving my bars etc in same place as I don't really have anything to train for.
But went out and did my VO2 efforts....none of the 5 x 4 min efforts was under 42kmph av with a very slight head wind....nice.Will definately put them on the training bike which will be autumn cleaned very very soon :D .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:18 am

Yeh the club jersey thing has been a pain in my side since I destroyed my club jersey in January and it won't be until December that I finally will get a replacement. I only have one of the previous versions of the club jersey and using this weekend as an example, where I'm racing Friday night, Saturday arvo, Sunday morning, I need to be selective as to when I wear it.

Why are you changing clubs? What is the doctors certificate for?

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:33 am

I think you should still get the TT bike anyway