touring from 3rd october to 18th

capletton

touring from 3rd october to 18th

Postby capletton » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi there guys!
first of all sorry for my english, hope u understand. After 7 months working in Sydney, now is time for my holidays before flying back to Spain. Im planning to ride a bike, but still dont know where exactly in NT or WA. What Ive been thinking at first time is riding from Darwin to Broome, but think is gonna be too much(around 1600kms), and also dont wanna do it by myself without companion or a support car. I would join anyone planning to do an appealing tour within those days...the most important thing for me would be the roads ( either coast or desert), and dont wanna see any cars!! also Id like to know if u guys can tell me if its possible to rent a bike in one place and leave it in other one? maybe a brand with shops in different cities...

Cheers,
Carlos

elantra

Re: touring from 3rd october to 18th

Postby elantra » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:26 pm

Unfortunately i think it is probably impossible to hire a bike in one place and return it to a different place.
My advice would be to go to some interesting part of australia and hire a bike from October 3 to 18.
Alternatively, buy a relatively cheap bike and then sell it later.

In October it will be very hot in most parts of northern Australia.
You should change your plans and go to a part of Australia where the weather is likely to be great for riding.
The South-west corner of Western Australia is usually very very good at this time of year.
Something like this http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/

Alternatively North Queensland is interesting and the weather will probably be hot but not too hot in October.
Something like this http://www.fnqbiketour.org.au/
This is an organised tour but the route is a good one.
Some of the roads are very deserted though and not suitable if you are on your own.

Wherever you go it will be much more enjoyable and safer if you travel with another cyclist.
Good luck

Outback

Postby Outback » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:03 am

G'day
Try off road tour thru the Blue Mountains,Wollemi N.Ps.Beats the heat and flies of the top End.Cheers Outback

capletton

Postby capletton » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 am

many thanks for ur help guys. Ive been checking on the Munda Biddi trail website, and seems interesting. If I understood well its roughly 1000kms go and return. As I dont know any other interesting option for doing it in about 2 weeks, I think Im gonna make it, even if I love warmer weather though...

thanks,
Carlos