New bike - my accessories thread

perception twin

New bike - my accessories thread

Postby perception twin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:00 pm

Hey all,

Thought I would start a new thread where I can ask random questions in my quest to get on the road 8)

My list of things to buy so far:
- road shoes (already got pedals)
- pump for home
- pump for bike
- lights
- bike bag to carry spare tube and tube change thingo/other things
- bike computer
- bike shorts
- leg warmers

God, the accessories sure do add up don't they.
Last edited by perception twin on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:18 pm

Bottle and bottle carrier, if not with the bike !

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:43 pm

unless ur always wearin long sleeve jerseys/top, i rekon arm warmers too, as i find they dont do much in the way of moving - compared to ur legs.

also, i rekon gloves!

perception twin

Postby perception twin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Luckily I don't have to worry about bottle carrier as it already has one.

add:
- Jersey
- Arm warmers
- gloves

Is a regular jersey with arm warmers enough to keep out the cold wind?

Wanta-bike

Postby Wanta-bike » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:02 am

depends on how much of a pansy u are! LOL :lol:

durin the winter months (esp at early morn or nite), i usually ride with a short sleeved jersy, arm warmers and just recently got a wind vest

that way, ur body - which u wanna keep warm - stays warm, yet if it gets a bit too hot, just rip off the arm warmers. since using the wind vest, i've felt HEAPS more comfortable ridin on chilly/windy mornings

so add a wind vest to ur list! :wink:

perception twin

Postby perception twin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:12 am

haha,

too many useful bits of equipment I say. But there you go

add:
- wind jersey

and that should be about it!!!! I hope anyway :shock:
I will have to start figuring out the order in which to get these things or just save up and hope to get a discount. I know torpedo 7 online does reasonably cheap warmers.

- Shoes
- Pumps/repair kit
- clothing
- lights
- computer

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:34 am

perception twin wrote: Is a regular jersey with arm warmers enough to keep out the cold wind?
Where abouts are you riding?
Here in Canberra, you wouldn't want to ride in a jersey / arm warmers in the morning, but by the afternoon it's OK.
If cold and wind are an issue, get a long sleeved jersey in 'roubaix' fabric with windproof panels on the front and a rain shell. A windproof jersey is fine if it's just windy.
Lights? There's another squillion dollars!
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:57 am

In Canberra, to ride in under 5 degree mornings, you will need the following:
(at least that is what I wear)

1. Thermal undershirt
2. Long Sleeve Jersey
3. Riding jacket (I got a windtex one)
4. Leg warmers
5. Thermal gloves
6. Thermal socks
7 Skull cap
8. Shoe covers
9. Neck warmer

If you have not got your lights, think about getting one of those LED torches. I got a Cree from dealextreme.com, whole thing with charger and batt (li-ion) cost under $50 delivered. You have to figure a way to attach the torch to your bike tho. Mine was rated at 8W by the manufacturer, but its over-rated, I'd say it was closer to a 4W(?) light by comparison.

Do the scare-away Magpies zip-ties or equivalent count as accessories?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:36 pm

Um, a helmet? ;)

Spare tube(s)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:57 pm

I've
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:47 pm

MountGower wrote:I've heard you can get road bike pumps where the clamp goes under the cage on the seat tube, like a mountain bike pump and that they are quite effective.

Is this true? If so it would stop the pump from scuffing the paint job.

Anyone?
Yes, you can get them.

Yes, they are very effective.

No, they don't scuff the Tommassini paintwork because they are clamped in place and the pump itself never touches the paint.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:50 pm

MountGower wrote:I've heard you can get road bike pumps where the clamp goes under the cage on the seat tube, like a mountain bike pump and that they are quite effective.

Is this true? If so it would stop the pump from scuffing the paint job.

Anyone?
I have a Blackburn Airstik hand pump that I have permanently on my bike attached under the bottle cage on the down tube. It can go on the seat tube too, but they recommend mounting it on the down tube.

I used it as my only pump for the road bike for about 3 months. I've used it twice after flats. It has a two way action up to about 60 PSI so you can get the pressure rideable pretty fast, after that you start having to push harder & harder, it will eventually get you to 120.

Doesn't move around or scuff anything.

You can also get tiny little telescoping ones that you can fit in a jersey pocket, but they take forever to pump your tyres if you ever need to use them. The cheap plastic BBB hand pumps also take forever.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:09 pm

I have the pump I think Mike recommended way back on Chase mounted this way without drama.

My only problem has been on Joe where the Velocity cage screws where not long enough for the cage and the pump. Maybe something to watch out for.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:11 pm

Bnej wrote:It can go on the seat tube too, but they recommend mounting it on the down tube.
Do you know why the recommend this? I have both of mind currently mounted on the seat tube.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:38 am

I think it's just because it has more space there and is less likely to get knocked or tangled by your leg passing by.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:44 am

Bnej wrote:I think it's just because it has more space there and is less likely to get knocked or tangled by your leg passing by.
Okay.

Andrew
Andrew

perception twin

Postby perception twin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:15 pm

added pic.

I am riding in good old Adelaide.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any shops in Adelaide with a good selection of bike clothing?

I think my things to buy list is down to the "basics":

- Shoes (already have pedals + cleats)
- Bike shorts (Bibs vs. normal? how much better are they? and what brands are good?)
- Leg Warmers (Torpedo7 I recon)
- Shoe covers (do you need them?)
- Bike pump
- Floor pump
- basic flashing lights, I dont need anything good.. unlikely to ride in the dark, just to be more visible not to see
- seat bag for spare tubes etc.
- Gloves

Thats about it lol, I wont go with a Jersey and that for now unless I find a good deal.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:41 pm

Shoe covers, find out if your feet get cold first. If you have heavily ventilated road shoes they can be good in winter.

Bike shorts, the longer your trip the more you should spend. For 10 - 20km any shorts are fine. The cheaper shorts/pads aren't quite as comfortable as the rides get longer.

Jerseys are good, they give you back pockets in which you can fit a surprising amount of stuff. (Phone, wallet, spare tube, some food, keys)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:53 pm

Bnej wrote:Shoe covers, find out if your feet get cold first. If you have heavily ventilated road shoes they can be good in winter.
Another option, which I am considering but a friend of mine reckons are the duck 's nuts, are wearing a pair of SealSkinz socks. SealSkinz socks are waterproof. The advantage is you don't get the wear issue with booties but on the downside your shoes do get wet.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:02 pm

Nice bike PT. Bet it corners like a Pug too! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

perception twin

Postby perception twin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:07 pm

Bnej wrote:Shoe covers, find out if your feet get cold first. If you have heavily ventilated road shoes they can be good in winter.

Bike shorts, the longer your trip the more you should spend. For 10 - 20km any shorts are fine. The cheaper shorts/pads aren't quite as comfortable as the rides get longer.

Jerseys are good, they give you back pockets in which you can fit a surprising amount of stuff. (Phone, wallet, spare tube, some food, keys)
I think I will get regular bike shorts for now, I dont really have any normal shorts that are suitable for riding.. on my mtb sometimes I used my old soccer shorts :P

I will probably get at least 1 jersey. Adelaide mornings aren't that bad, between 5-10 degrees usually about 8. I will probably find cheaper ways to keep myself warm if I have to.
Aushiker wrote:Another option, which I am considering but a friend of mine reckons are the duck 's nuts, are wearing a pair of SealSkinz socks. SealSkinz socks are waterproof. The advantage is you don't get the wear issue with booties but on the downside your shoes do get wet.

Yeah I think its a good idea if you dont mind getting your upper getting soaked, It probably depends on what material they are too.

perception twin

Postby perception twin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Nice bike PT. Bet it corners like a Pug too! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Cheers Graeme,

I haven't actually taken it for a spin since I bought it! :cry:
I am waiting for a chance to go and get some shoes (tomorrow). I cant wait to get out there for the break in ride which I will do tomorrow as soon as I get home 8)

perception twin

Postby perception twin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:46 pm

I just took my new bike for a spin for the first time and boy! was it awesome 8)

This was my first REAL ride on a road bike with proper pedals and everything.. and yeah I took it on my usual mountain bike route and its amazing how much better it is on the roadie. I can cruise up the hills a lot faster even though the mtb has lower gearing and the roadie has standard road gearing. Overall its just a better ride, though the whole posture is still new. I also think slowly taking to riding on the road with my moutain bike has paid off.

I went to the shop earlier today to buy:
- bike shorts (netti) and I found them comfortable on my ride, didn't get any jerseys.. I shall use my soccer tops for the moment as subsitutes as its the same kinda material and they aren't that loose
- floor pump
- bike pump
- bike seat bag as I have no pockets and its just extra storage anyway
- tire levers
- a couple of spare tubes
- gloves (they actually did come in handy as I didnt realise how sore your hands get when your not used to holding up your weight and braking)
- shoes of course, fitted with look cleats.. I found it only took me a few rounds up and down my street unclipping to get used to it. Also riding off from roundabouts also teaches you quickly with cars around :lol:

So after I went to the shop I couldn't wait to go home and try it out.

Now I just gotta buy arm and leg warmers from Torpedo7 and i am set for the moment.

:D

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:45 pm

I wear the netti shyshorts and basic shyshorts. Of the two, I prefer the cut of the basics and have done centuries in them. Their big attraction is that they work well off the bike - there's no need for anyone to notice you're in your cycling clobber, which can be a plus if you're off the bike for some time.

There are two big advantages to the jersies over other sporting shirts - the first is the long cut of them (your back isn't exposed) and the second is those nifty pockets on the back. I wear them for the pockets more than anything else.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

perception twin

Postby perception twin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:25 pm

Well since yesterday I have ordered:
- arm warmers
- leg warmers
Even though its nice and sunny in Adelaide at the moment its still cold riding
- shoe covers as my shoes have decent sized vents
I got the warmers from Torpedo 7 the exustar ones.. worked out a lot cheaper than getting the Netti ones.

I also bought some basic led lights, I just need them to flash :D

Next things to get are riding jerseys and wind breakers. Has anyone bought the ones they sell on E-bay? not sure if they are imitations or what and whether they do the job.