Training programmes

twizzle

Re: Training programmes

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:55 pm

othy wrote:
twizzle wrote: O.K. - that makes sense. Should make it interesting to see how some people go through the season, considering some of them raced all through Winter.
I thought "winter" was the season for road racing.....
Not round these parts. During winter, the usual race temps are around 8c - 10c, and competitor numbers drop right off.

Summer race season is Tuesday night crits and Sunday morning races - much nicer.

I don't race in winter - I get tendinitis in the knees when the temp drops if I push too hard. Which is why I bought the trainer - much more civilised temperatures in the kitchen.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
twizzle wrote:Now, the technical questions - given the 'standard' 7 day and 42 day thresholds for ATL & CTL, how does that actually work with individuals, ie. how can everyone's fitness/fatigue level be determined by looking over activity during the prior one and six week periods?
How about reading up on it first? :wink:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... nager.aspx
O.K. - all makes sense now.

Now the really scary part is that I now understand the point of the TSS calculations in the TrainingLoad plugin for SportsTracks, and last month in the Iron Mike handicap, where I bonked after spending 65% of the race in Zone 5, I had a HR based TSS of 405! :shock:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:58 pm

twizzle wrote:Now the really scary part is that I now understand the point of the TSS calculations in the TrainingLoad plugin for SportsTracks, and last month in the Iron Mike handicap, where I bonked after spending 65% of the race in Zone 5, I had a HR based TSS of 405! :shock:
I would take that number with a very large grain of salt. Unless you were doing a very solid 7 hour ride.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:02 am

toolonglegs wrote:As ALex has said I don't think you can hold peak form over a whole season...but it was hard for me to have aims here as having never raced in France I wasn't sure how the year was structured.
Often with newer riders or those new to a form of racing or geography, you encourage an "exploratory" year/season as that's they way you find out about what's what on the calendar, what races you like the most, helps to set some goals for future etc.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:18 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
twizzle wrote:Now the really scary part is that I now understand the point of the TSS calculations in the TrainingLoad plugin for SportsTracks, and last month in the Iron Mike handicap, where I bonked after spending 65% of the race in Zone 5, I had a HR based TSS of 405! :shock:
I would take that number with a very large grain of salt. Unless you were doing a very solid 7 hour ride.
Phew! They are graphing TRIMP as TSS. Which is dumb, considering "TSS" is trademarked.