group riders are rude perhaps!

amt

group riders are rude perhaps!

Postby amt » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:04 pm

What is it with group riders, I know your probably all buddies but why don't they like other riders joining? If you can keep the same pace I don't see why not. Some guys really like to show you they are better riders than me, lol. Today there was a group of 10 riders they over took me on the left and the right wizzing past without calling out on a downhill section where I was doing 50+ clicks. Anyway I think that's ok if your faster than me that's fine. Once the downhill finished the pace droped back considerably so I cought up. They then slowed down even more and I was in the middle of the pack, so one guy yells out go to the back, what the? During this short group ride they had no ettiquite on overtaking or sharing the lead. I thought I better say hello and started to chat with one of the riders, he seemed nice enough.

This has happened to me on 2 other occassions. I must admit I should've have made the first attempt and say hello and perhaps ask if I could join in. I will certainly do that next time. But it pisses me off when a group want to overtake a solo rider and then can't keep up with me. Why overtake in the first place? Why not even say hello when your passing? What have you got to prove other than showing your inpolite.

How many other's have experienced this?

damhooligan

Re: group riders are rude perhaps!

Postby damhooligan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:54 pm

amt wrote:What is it with group riders, I know your probably all buddies but why don't they like other riders joining? If you can keep the same pace I don't see why not. Some guys really like to show you they are better riders than me, lol. Today there was a group of 10 riders they over took me on the left and the right wizzing past without calling out on a downhill section where I was doing 50+ clicks. Anyway I think that's ok if your faster than me that's fine. Once the downhill finished the pace droped back considerably so I cought up. They then slowed down even more and I was in the middle of the pack, so one guy yells out go to the back, what the? During this short group ride they had no ettiquite on overtaking or sharing the lead. I thought I better say hello and started to chat with one of the riders, he seemed nice enough.

This has happened to me on 2 other occassions. I must admit I should've have made the first attempt and say hello and perhaps ask if I could join in. I will certainly do that next time. But it pisses me off when a group want to overtake a solo rider and then can't keep up with me. Why overtake in the first place? Why not even say hello when your passing? What have you got to prove other than showing your inpolite.

How many other's have experienced this?

First thought that pops up in my mind,
if they show no skill when they are overtaking you left and right , why do you wanna join in at all??

Sometimes a group works for you , sometimes not.
Sometimes i do group rides , and sometimes i am much better of riding on my own.
They both have benefits.
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:13 pm

maybe it was a specific training ride not a social group ride. Could have been practising roll thru's or had some newbs in the group and didn't want someone sitting in the middle that they have never ridden with.

Last year in ATB a girl insisted in sitting right in the middle of our bunch, we weren't going fast but she was struggling to keep up and she was erratic in her line , veering around (particularly when taking a drink). Where there was width issues she actually split the group as no one would ride beside her and/or get past her (she made that bike about 5 feet wide :D )
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:35 pm

Redbull wrote:maybe it was a specific training ride not a social group ride. Could have been practising roll thru's or had some newbs in the group and didn't want someone sitting in the middle that they have never ridden with.

Last year in ATB a girl insisted in sitting right in the middle of our bunch, we weren't going fast but she was struggling to keep up and she was erratic in her line , veering around (particularly when taking a drink). Where there was width issues she actually split the group as no one would ride beside her and/or get past her (she made that bike about 5 feet wide :D )

Yeah , that is a good example of a person who i would not like in a group...
That's dangerous...
And i get annoyed when the rider in front of me doesn't pedal continous but keep stopping evrey frikkin minute.

What does annoy other people? (something that is not nessecarly bad behaviour...)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

alltorque

Postby alltorque » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:11 pm

damhooligan wrote:What does annoy other people? (something that is not nessecarly bad behaviour...)
when the rider in front of you spits, and you wear it! :evil:

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:27 pm

alltorque wrote:
damhooligan wrote:What does annoy other people? (something that is not nessecarly bad behaviour...)
Mmmm
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

sixx

Postby sixx » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:19 pm

Lotta precious peeps on the road amt.
Just tell em to f off and keep riding.
They are obviously the pros, let them work it out.

SLH

Postby SLH » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:37 pm

alltorque wrote:
Using "your" instead of you're. :D

Oh, and people I don't know who suck my wheel and don't do any work.
Look695 & BMC SLC01.

Ben85

Postby Ben85 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:07 pm

They were probably a team or a club ride training for summer season. The funny thing is when on a group training ride, all individuals think its a race and try to pass you. They probably had more momentum coming down the hill and faster wheels???

There are lots of different groups that have rides for all different types of riders, maybe try these and when you get a good group of mates with same ability youll have your own group.

Myself, i always ride on my own, even being in a team. Group rides are dangerous, mate broke his collarbone on megabike ride last week as someone chopped his wheel.

Just enjoy your cycling 8)
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:21 pm

amt wrote:Today there was a group of 10 riders they over took me on the left and the right wizzing past without calling out on a downhill section where I was doing 50+ clicks.
Anyone who overtakes on the left is an idiot*! Agree as well that they should have probably called out before passing, for their own safety too.

If you want to join in a group, then have a chat to whoever is at the back, and ask if you can join! Its a bit weird just inserting yourself into the group without saying anything.

* Excluding obvious situations

alex

Postby alex » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:19 pm

dont join other people's group unless someone tells you to get on the wheel
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:46 pm

riders are sometimes a precious breed arent they? some think after a hot curry their s##t still dont stink.... good onya amt for lodging yaself in the middle... they obviously had egos bigger than their tanks....

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:40 pm

alex wrote:dont join other people's group unless someone tells you to get on the wheel
Nah , i don't like being told...
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

alex

Postby alex » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:riders are sometimes a precious breed arent they? some think after a hot curry their s##t still dont stink.... good onya amt for lodging yaself in the middle... they obviously had egos bigger than their tanks....
are you kidding me? this is outrageous. do you just go and shove your way in between a group of friends walking along the mall too? or maybe do you join in on your local footy team's training when you are down at the park? perhaps just drop into a party you happened to drive past on sat night?

my s##t stinks, i dont care if you are fast or slow but if i dont know you or know how you ride, please get away from me as i would like to keep my skin off the road and my collarbones intact.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

amt

Postby amt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:57 pm

I really wasn't in there to be a nuisance, but if your not going to ride faster than me then let me pass. I don't think these guys were any pro group or else they would have shown more curtosy. Then again maybe not. What I've noticed some riders feel empowered and there ego's inflate when they ride within a group. They actually react like they are on to win a stage in the Tour.

sixx

Postby sixx » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 pm

alex wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:riders are sometimes a precious breed arent they? some think after a hot curry their s##t still dont stink.... good onya amt for lodging yaself in the middle... they obviously had egos bigger than their tanks....
are you kidding me? this is outrageous. do you just go and shove your way in between a group of friends walking along the mall too? or maybe do you join in on your local footy team's training when you are down at the park? perhaps just drop into a party you happened to drive past on sat night?

my s##t stinks, i dont care if you are fast or slow but if i dont know you or know how you ride, please get away from me as i would like to keep my skin off the road and my collarbones intact.

Dude, if you read the opening post you may realise no one pushed in anywhere and the scenario only eventuated because the group was obviously soft in comparison to amt shooting the breeze alone.
Your mall rat analogy doesn't make sense.
I guess at the end of the day it comes down to common courtesy, I'm sure anyone I ride with or even know for that matter would not of treated amt that way.

We ain't tryhards. :lol: :lol: :lol:
We just ride.
It ain't our road.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:30 am

alex wrote:
did u bother reading the opening post before grabing your tissues and quoting !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! examples of inappropriate behaviour?? obviously not so i will recap.... inappropriate passing without much regard to amt's skin or collarbones, followed by making a nuisance of themselves to the rider they overtook.. and then they were open in making it known he wasnt welcome in their try hard group... is that how u ride? condone that? if so dood then i think i dont think ur poo would stink...
alex wrote:my s##t stinks, i dont care if you are fast or slow but if i dont know you or know how you ride, please get away from me as i would like to keep my skin off the road and my collarbones intact.
dont think we need to comment on this retort... its says it all..

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:37 am

Moderator Warning

Debate the topic and the content of the posts. Do not direct the posts at the members.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:33 am

Hi

I ride with the Freo Wheelers Group 3 on Saturdays and we are a pretty easy going bunch. Sometimes when we pass people they join in which is no big deal in itself; sadly however, too often people joining don't do the right thing and join at the back, wait a moment or three to get a feel for what is happening or how it works, e.g., roll through and then go with the flow. Instead they so often just jump in and start disrupting the flow or worse.

Those that do the right thing are welcomed those that don't are more likely to get told by someone.

Personally I have like amt being passed by a group when riding on my own and then the next thing I find myself back up with them. When that happens I just hang-off the back to see if I am going to stay with them or not and if yes, I ask if it is okay to stay with the group, otherwise they just get back to moving on and I continue on my own.

[mod hat]Going to back to amt's opening comments, I think the opening sentence was provocative and a generalisation. A lot of members here ride groups, not everyone that rides in a group is rude and offensive, and of course there are two sides to the story. It would have helped if the opening post focused on the group ride passing/joining aspect without the generalisation of group riders. Something to consider for the future maybe? [/mod hat]

Regards
Andrew

Ben85

Postby Ben85 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:36 am

i agree with Alex, its sad that people go round inviting themselves into other groups of friends out for a social training ride. If you don't know some one keep riding, a polite wave would be all.

Amt the group you saw had 10 riders yeh? riding 2 a breast chatting with mates, taking turns every 10-20mins. Then you join in making 11, when the front take there turn they get seperated by somone they have know idea who they are. This isn't cool.

And again i say its not a race, why worry about passing groups?

the whole ego thing is crap, the biggest ego's are the guys who don't race, riding top of the line bikes with all the pro kits on. I thought I was cool when i first started riding too, until I raced and got shut down big time.
Last edited by m@ on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language and personal comments removed
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades

alex

Postby alex » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:20 am

Aushiker wrote: Personally I have like amt being passed by a group when riding on my own and then the next thing I find myself back up with them. When that happens I just hang-off the back to see if I am going to stay with them or not and if yes, I ask if it is okay to stay with the group, otherwise they just get back to moving on and I continue on my own.
this is the correct way to deal with the situation

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:11 pm

[mod hat]
A further reminder to please keep discussion within the forum guidelines - in particular
• Bad language, inappropriate content or discrimination is not permitted. This is a family orientated forum.
and
• Disagreements are allowed, though without personal attacks and flaming. Argue the idea not the person.
The moderators will be keeping an eye on this topic, and if the personal remarks continue will have no option but to lock the thread.
Thank you.

[/mod hat]
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:20 pm

m@ wrote:The moderators will be keeping an eye on this topic, and if the personal remarks continue will have no option but to lock the thread.
Thank you.
Hi

[mod hat]And ban for defined period the individual or individuals concerned. The warnings/requests have been made. It shouldn't be hard to behave to take them onboard and to be nice and to respect the forums should it?[/mod hat]

Regards
Andrew

amt

Postby amt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I ride with the Freo Wheelers Group 3 on Saturdays and we are a pretty easy going bunch. Sometimes when we pass people they join in which is no big deal in itself; sadly however, too often people joining don't do the right thing and join at the back, wait a moment or three to get a feel for what is happening or how it works, e.g., roll through and then go with the flow. Instead they so often just jump in and start disrupting the flow or worse.

Those that do the right thing are welcomed those that don't are more likely to get told by someone.

Personally I have like amt being passed by a group when riding on my own and then the next thing I find myself back up with them. When that happens I just hang-off the back to see if I am going to stay with them or not and if yes, I ask if it is okay to stay with the group, otherwise they just get back to moving on and I continue on my own.

[mod hat]Going to back to amt's opening comments, I think the opening sentence was provocative and a generalisation. A lot of members here ride groups, not everyone that rides in a group is rude and offensive, and of course there are two sides to the story. It would have helped if the opening post focused on the group ride passing/joining aspect without the generalisation of group riders. Something to consider for the future maybe? [/mod hat]

Regards
Andrew
Thanks Andrew,

Was hoping to get input from the group perspective, I wasn't tring to provoce but simply stating a fact (but also mentioning "perhaps" to qualify my statement) with some groups certainly a few on my recent encounters. Your points are spot on.

On a side note as a mod have you noticed that when the text box fills up you can no longer see what your typing. It was quite difficult to type.

alex

Postby alex » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:48 pm

i have a mate who is in hospital right now with a broken pelvis and will have a couple of months off work thanks so an unknown guest who decided to squeeze his way into an organized group

he had no idea what he was doing, chopped my mates wheel and rode off seemingly oblivious to the 3 people he just brought down

maybe that helps to explain my rage