which bike?

minipanda

which bike?

Postby minipanda » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:07 am

Hi there,
I have been pumping my steamroller of a mtb around for years, it's time to hop on roady and so I thought I better ask for some advice.

I am about to purchase a road racing bike and do not want to spend more than $500+/-. I plan to use it for the round the Bay in October. My options are: $480 for a new 56cm CellS2200, or $525 for a 57cm Avanti Corsa Pro 2000/01 model. Which way would you advise I go?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

By the way I am 6'0" and have an inseam of 84.5cm and I don't want to end up regretting the wrong decision.

Thanks. :wink:

CoffeeNut

Postby CoffeeNut » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:35 pm

make sure the bike shop measures you up for the right size.
Can't comment in any meaningful way on the bikes sorry.

FWIW - I always regret my bad decisions:)

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:56 pm

I can't comment on the bikes but both are good brands. A good bike shop is just as important as a good bike - remember, once they have your money, they'll be the ones making it work for you until you can do everything yourself.

A good fitting bike is critical so make sure the lbs spends a bit of time looking at that.

With that price, you would be well served to look at second hand bikes.

Don't forget the extra kit you'll need to - helmet, gloves (as important as the crash hat), clothing (though you can get away with normal street kit), shoes (especially if you're going for a clipless system), floor pump for at home, puncture repair kis and tools, pump for on the bike, water bottles, lock. The extras can add up if you aren't careful ... and even if you are :roll:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

perception twin

Postby perception twin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:10 pm

Hey Panda,

Even though I am new to the whole road bike market I was kind of in your situation. I was looking at 2nd hand vs. new around that range. Like other members have said, fit is important. SO if you go new, at least you are going to get a good fit by the bike shop and they will look after you.

If its a matter of new vs. second hand and the second hand fits and is in good condition then I would go second hand. You can generally get better components for the price (especially ~$500). Supposedly the S2200 has some random shimano groupset vs. the 105 or Ultrega of the Avanti (what is it?) The S2200's groupset is not even Sora which is what is put on entry level bikes.. it also has down tube shifters which I wouldn't mind on a $100 80's racer but probably not on a new bike. But, these are the points that I considered, it may not bother you at all and i bet it works foine! so check it out anyway. Plus, I couldn't try it out as nobody stocks Cell in SA and thus getting a pro fit would cost me.

And remember, you can always sell your bad decisions, sometimes at no loss 8)

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:27 pm

G'day
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Now
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommasiniWithoutQuestion

Postby TommasiniWithoutQuestion » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:30 pm

Love your work, MG,
I bought the origignal Diamante for my First ATB (same Ferry as Pittman the Athlete no less), and haven't looked back. Last Year I did it on a 2005 Tommasini Diamante with ease (210kms at 29kph). This Year it will be on a Tommasini CarboMach with Record......

So advice for our mate...buy a good 2nd hand Italian classic. There's nothing else near them. If you can get a Tommasini, you're made.

PS MG, when are U coming for the ATB. Your welcome to stay at our house. the fourth bedroom is the bikeroom, and it's yours if you want it. Join our group, it's a hoot.......

Gerard :)

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:41 pm

I
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommasiniWithoutQuestion

Postby TommasiniWithoutQuestion » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:59 pm

The CarboMach has no chrome --you're right. But what do don't see is the faultless welding of the Titanium by Irio Tommasini himself, and the forging of the carbon rear triangle and front forks.......it's sex on wheels.
For the chrome, (and I agree with your sentiments) I have the other Tommi's......It sounds like you've bought a new Techno?? Prey Tell hombre

minipanda

...the saga continues...

Postby minipanda » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:45 pm

Thanks one and all for your advice, I think I hear you that bike 'fit' is pretty critical. Plus, after the first few posts (thanks BTW), I did some sums and realised I'd be up for another $500 on the other parafenalia! Another thing I found was that this Avanti Corsa needs 'clincher'(all-in-one) tires which cost about at least $40 each, and in this case, I need to buy 4 of them. This is all swaying me back to look for what people refer to as 'a good second hand' bike.

...bit of a step down I know, but there's this KHS Flite 300 (2cm "too big") on ebay, and an Apollo. I think I might take a stab at one these humble entry level type bikes...

But tomorrow's another day!!!

:wink:

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:12 pm

um, clincher tyres are the usual tyres on 99% of the bikes you'll ever see.

they're called that because they clinch into the rim, held on by the pressure in the tube.

btw, why would you need 4 tyres? i'd start with 2, wear them out, then decide what you liked/didn't like about them, and get the next 2 accordingly.