Newcastle to Brisbane

justD

Newcastle to Brisbane

Postby justD » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi all,

I have less than 5 days to go and I must admit that I'm a little nervous :)

On Saturday I'm leaving Newcastle and heading up to Brisbane, but I'm not really ready for it. This past weekend I cycled 80kms on Saturday and 72kms on Sunday and my legs are hurting today :( I'm going to aim for 120km/day on the trip, but so far the furthest I've cycled in one day is 118kms and I weighed around 5kgs less than I do now. I'm sure I can do 120kms in one day, but not certain how I'll manage on the 3rd day and thereafter.

Anyhow, I'll see how I go. I've never been big into sport or exercise, so this is the biggest physical thing I've ever taken on. I know 800kms is nothing for you serious cyclists, but it's a bit nerve wrecking for me.

banjo

Re: Newcastle to Brisbane

Postby banjo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:14 pm

You'll be fine. My lead up cycling to my last tour was pitiful. The two months prior to leaving I averaged only 250km per month! I was a bit worried but then did 2100km in just over 3 weeks.

Training is one thing but when its time to do it for real then adrenaline kicks in and with the adventure and new sights you'll be surprised what you can achieve. I find that the psychological aspect of continually going forward to new places and not having to turn around and ride home the same day also helps. A lot of it is mind over matter.

Good luck.

justD

Postby justD » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 am

Thanks banjo,

I think you're right. While I was riding this past weekend, I was quite excited about the upcoming trip. It's only at the office yesterday that I started worrying. So I agree, once I'm out there I'll probably be fine.

I've also found even on my short weekend rides that it's far easier when riding to new places than repeating a trip that I've already done before.

Will let you know how it turns out anyway.

backroads

Postby backroads » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Hey JustD,

I have just this week returned from my first tour which involved 750km including crossing the divide. My training in the weeks leading up to it was mainly on the week ends doing a ride of 50km one day and 90km the next and reverse the order the following week. I too had doubts that I would make it but ended up doing just fine.

As long as you aim for realistic distances and sensible speeds you should be fine.

I previously spent years training for triathlons and thought I new all about fueling up – carbs, carbs and more carbs. That might be fine for a one day ironman event but for me it wasn’t what my body wanted. After a few days on the road I learned that I would always feel good after a good feed of meat and if all I ate was carbs I would start to feel weak. So if I can give you one tip (that worked for me) eat a good meal of protein early in the day to keep your strength up and keep consuming food all day. Don’t worry about the waist line you will burn it off.

I also read in another forum about a guy crossing the Nullabor who was having knee problems. He ate lots of chips. The salt helped with muscle cramping. So every night I bought myself a big bag of chips (crisps) and got stuck into them. I didn’t have a single cramp over the whole journey.

Safe travels

Chatbox

Postby Chatbox » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Maybe we should meet up or something.

I'm on my way up to Brisbane. Some delays on the way due to the dust storm and strong wind. Currently I'm in Kempsey and planning to head off to Nambucca Heads tomorrow.

I'll send you my contact info via PM if you're interested.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 pm

I don't know about the chips helping the knees but I agree with the eating. I'm not a big eater usually but when I'm touring.....EAT ride EAT ride EAT EAT ride EAT.... it never ends. My single biggest expense is always FOOD but the engine has got to be fuelled!

Chatbox

Postby Chatbox » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Totally agree with the eating. Took me about two weeks to figure out what is it that my body need for touring. Currently, I'm having lots of bananas, pasta, pizzas, rice, eggs, magnesium tablets.

The other thing is to stretch and massage your legs when you get to your destination...and get a pair of Skins. Continue drinking lots of water even after your ride...just keep drinking. Before you get to your destination, about 2 km or so, spin your legs in low gears.

Max

Postby Max » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 am

backroads wrote:I also read in another forum about a guy crossing the Nullabor who was having knee problems. He ate lots of chips. The salt helped with muscle cramping. So every night I bought myself a big bag of chips (crisps) and got stuck into them. I didn’t have a single cramp over the whole journey.
I thought I was the only one who did this! My preferred salty chip-like meal is actually chicken Twisties. If ever I'm feeling dehydrated, or like I might soon be, I have a packet of these and feel great for it.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

backroads

Postby backroads » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Hey justD,

I really feel sorry for you with the weather. Saturdays dust storm, Sundays strong winds. Lucky they were westerly. They predict rising into the thirties for most of the week. Keep the fluids up and get stuck in to lots of chips or chicken twisties.

Another thing I found very helpful was "Shots" electrolyte tablets. A packet has around 20 tablets. Each tablet is good for your standard drink bottle. Cheaper than Gatoraid and far easier to carry. You should be able to get them from any LBS or sports store.

Safe travels

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Max wrote:
backroads wrote:I also read in another forum about a guy crossing the Nullabor who was having knee problems. He ate lots of chips. The salt helped with muscle cramping. So every night I bought myself a big bag of chips (crisps) and got stuck into them. I didn’t have a single cramp over the whole journey.
I thought I was the only one who did this! My preferred salty chip-like meal is actually chicken Twisties. If ever I'm feeling dehydrated, or like I might soon be, I have a packet of these and feel great for it.
You'll be better off with bananas. The potassium in them is better for you than sodium. If you evr do get leg cramps, scoff a banana or two. The cramps will disappear.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

justD

Postby justD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I made it as far as the Gold Coast and had to stop mainly because I ran out of money:( I had given myself 10 days to do the trip and had reached the Gold Coast in 6 days. Anyway, I did better than I expected. In a previous post long time ago il padrone or someone said that I'd get fit while riding. I didn't believe it at the time, but I did seem to do better from day to day on this trip. Prior to this trip my longest ride in a day was 118kms and I was dead after that one. On this trip I did 95, 116, 126, 140, 131, 95 kms, which I thought was pretty good day after day.
backroads wrote:I really feel sorry for you with the weather. Saturdays dust storm, Sundays strong winds.
Yup, that was true every day. I had one day, Monday I think, that I didn't have much wind for most of the day. Every other day there was some wind and often headwinds:( On the last day I did 95kms in 9 hours, so basically 10kph because of the wind... and my "un"fitness.

Anyway, got a ride report and some photos.

Got some problems with the old ticker, so I'll go see a doctor first and hear if it'll be wise for me to continue preparing for a Perth to Sydney trip next year.

cheers,

Dirk

justD

Postby justD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm

il padrone wrote: You'll be better off with bananas. The potassium in them is better for you than sodium. If you evr do get leg cramps, scoff a banana or two. The cramps will disappear.
Interesting, I've been eating bananas ever since I joined this forum because I read that's what cyclists do. Now at least I know why!
Chatbox wrote: Maybe we should meet up or something.
Sorry, I didn't get online until I got home. How's your trip going?

Chatbox

Postby Chatbox » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 am

justD wrote:Sorry, I didn't get online until I got home. How's your trip going?
I arrived in Brisbane last Thursday...sooo exhausted right now. I think I've done all the cycling I need for awhile.