Fitz's Entry Open for 2009

psike

Fitz's Entry Open for 2009

Postby psike » Fri May 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Website: http://www.clubsonline.com.au/site/inde ... OrgID=4063

Fitz's Challenge - Australia's Toughest Cycle Challenge?

Sunday, 1st November 2009

(Sunday before Melbourne Cup)

Fitz's Challenge is Canberra’s biggest and best known long-distance one-day participation event. Test your skills, fitness and endurance by taking on the Brindabella Ranges in one of 4 challenges. Now in its 22nd year, this challenge is still unique in its combination of terrain, distance and weather!
Four Challenges to Test You

If you are looking for a physical challenge to push yourself and test your capabilities, the Fitz's Challenge is for you. Dare to cycle above your limits and achieve your personal goals. There are 4 challenges to suit different levels of experience and interest:

1. Fitz's EPIC Challenge 207 km, a hill grinding odyssey
2. Fitz's CLASSIC Challenge 165 km, a daunting challenge with plenty of climbing
3. THARWA Challenge 105 km, this one will sneak up on the complacent
4. TIDBINBILLA Challenge 50 km, designed specifically to challenge newcomers

READY FOR THE CHALLENGE? ENTRIES OPEN NOW!

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

ciaran

Re: Fitz's Entry Open for 2009

Postby ciaran » Sat May 23, 2009 2:42 pm

psike wrote:Website: http://www.clubsonline.com.au/site/inde ... OrgID=4063

Fitz's Challenge - Australia's Toughest Cycle Challenge?

Sunday, 1st November 2009

(Sunday before Melbourne Cup)

Fitz's Challenge is Canberra’s biggest and best known long-distance one-day participation event. Test your skills, fitness and endurance by taking on the Brindabella Ranges in one of 4 challenges. Now in its 22nd year, this challenge is still unique in its combination of terrain, distance and weather!
Four Challenges to Test You

If you are looking for a physical challenge to push yourself and test your capabilities, the Fitz's Challenge is for you. Dare to cycle above your limits and achieve your personal goals. There are 4 challenges to suit different levels of experience and interest:

1. Fitz's EPIC Challenge 207 km, a hill grinding odyssey
2. Fitz's CLASSIC Challenge 165 km, a daunting challenge with plenty of climbing
3. THARWA Challenge 105 km, this one will sneak up on the complacent
4. TIDBINBILLA Challenge 50 km, designed specifically to challenge newcomers

READY FOR THE CHALLENGE? ENTRIES OPEN NOW!
Is this event cool to do on a roadbike? (700x23 tyres) I couldn't tell from the website what kind of bike is suitable for the event.

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Sat May 23, 2009 9:52 pm

ciaran wrote:Is this event cool to do on a roadbike? (700x23 tyres) I couldn't tell from the website what kind of bike is suitable for the event.
This is an event particularly suited to a roadbike IMO, although there were plenty of hybrids and MTBs last year as well. There was also a rider on a fixie that I struggled to keep up with (which was damn impressive).

Last year I rode the Tharwa Challenge, and the year before that the Fitz's Classic, both times on a roadbike with 53/39 and 12/25, which was fine. Tough, but fine...there is a LOT of climbing on this ride. I plan on riding the Tharwa Challenge again this year.

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Sun May 24, 2009 4:33 pm

DavidH wrote:
ciaran wrote:Is this event cool to do on a roadbike? (700x23 tyres) I couldn't tell from the website what kind of bike is suitable for the event.
This is an event particularly suited to a roadbike IMO, although there were plenty of hybrids and MTBs last year as well. There was also a rider on a fixie that I struggled to keep up with (which was damn impressive).

Last year I rode the Tharwa Challenge, and the year before that the Fitz's Classic, both times on a roadbike with 53/39 and 12/25, which was fine. Tough, but fine...there is a LOT of climbing on this ride. I plan on riding the Tharwa Challenge again this year.
Thanks for your advice!

I was considering going into the Tidbinbilla Challenge on my fixed gear, running 44/16. Should be fun!

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:28 pm

This sounds great. As long as it isnt the same weekend as triple tri, I reckon I could well be a starter. I love hills. :shock:

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm aiming for the epic this year. Classic will be my fall back option, depending on how much I ride over winter. Not really a fan of the cold. This is probably my last year in Canberra, so I would like to knock off the big one.

BR

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:36 pm

I am thinking of doing the Tharwa Challenge, but was wondering if someone who has done it previously could give an idea of what to expect.

I'm not an experienced cyclist. I currently do a 70km ride once a week on a flat bar roadbike (AT) average 25km/hr. The 100km distance won't be a problem for me, but I'm wary of the climbs. The website gives a target time of 7hrs!! Does that mean that's how long it should take you to finish it? That would be 14km/hrs! Is that right? If that's the case - looks like the hills would kill me.

I'm not from Canberra so am not familiar with the roads and topography of the course.

If you have done it previously, can you please let me know your time and average speed.

thanks.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:30 pm

nickj_d wrote:I am thinking of doing the Tharwa Challenge, but was wondering if someone who has done it previously could give an idea of what to expect.
I think you would be fine. The Tharwa challenge only has one tough hill (In the first 10kms) then the rest is rolling hills, nothing too tough. Oh, and a bit of work near the end going up Mt MacDonald. The target time is a maximum and includes total time (not just ride time. Drink/eat/toilet breaks etc will add to your time, but not your travelling average time). There will be people with less preparation than you doing it.

I would say, go for it. I haven't done the "Tharwa Challenge" before, but I've ridden the route in one form or another many times, so I can't tell you how long it took me.

I would budget for about 19-20km/hr average, based on not much more than a guess. :?

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:40 pm

nickj_d wrote:I am thinking of doing the Tharwa Challenge, but was wondering if someone who has done it previously could give an idea of what to expect.
I rode the Tharwa Challenge last year on a road bike. I'm a relatively fit cyclist (I was at the time anyway) and I wasn't in a big hurry. It tooks me 4 hours and 20 minutes, which is an average of about 23.5km/h.

I say give it a go.

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks for the replies guys (and the encouragement to give it a go!!). Think I will go for the 100km option. It seems an anticlimax to go to Canberra just for a 50km ride.

Would still be interested to hear of anyone elses time and ave speed.

Thanks.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

psike

Postby psike » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 am

So who's in? I'm registered for the Epic, last year did the Classic and slept real well afterwards, this year have a few mates doing the Epic so at least there will be a bunch to fight the wind :)

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:39 am

I'm doing the classic. Have no where near the necessary k's under my belt for the epic.

Barnacle

Postby Barnacle » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Whats the Classic 165km like.

Are the hills really bad or just continuous rolling hills.

I average about 200-250km's a week and regualrly do 100 kms plus rides on the weekend, but not sure if I can handle continous big hills if they are anything like Mt. Buffalo in the Audax apline classic.

Cheers
Greg Turnbull

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm quite a newbie and haven't been riding yet for three months. All my riding has been by myself so far, so I'm looking forward to this event. Oh, I'm only doing the newcomers' ride. I've got a flat bar roadie running 700X28's and have a third chainring(by the sounds of things it might actually get used on this ride.)

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:17 pm

Barnacle wrote:Whats the Classic 165km like.

Are the hills really bad or just continuous rolling hills.

I average about 200-250km's a week and regualrly do 100 kms plus rides on the weekend, but not sure if I can handle continous big hills if they are anything like Mt. Buffalo in the Audax apline classic.
Based on your regular k's, you shouldn't have a major issue with the classic. There is one really bad hill, 2.5kms at average 10%. Then there are a couple of other hills, but not as bad, and then there are rolling hills most of the way.

lukas

Postby lukas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:37 pm

I'm coming down for the epic. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel to stay at the night before?

I'm coming with 53/39 and 12-26 gearing. I'm a bit worried, but don't think I'll have a compact crankset before then, so I just have to man up :twisted:

I haven't signed up yet.. better do that tonight.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

spunkyryan

Postby spunkyryan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:58 am

Got my rider pack yesterday and I'm down to do the Classic challenge though I thought I had signed up for the Tidbinbilla :shock:

Anyways, I'm excited as completing it means I will have achieved my first imperial century.

Edit: I got the email from Pedal Power saying there was an issue with my registration. I would have been happy to have a bash at the 165km but maybe next year.
Last edited by spunkyryan on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N+1 - 2019 Colnago C64, Dura-Ace Di2, DT Swiss PRC 1100 Dicut Mon Chasseral

psike

Postby psike » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:13 am

I signed up for the Epic but the pack sent out says Tharwa Challenge... phew... what a relief :)

Seriously though, I think they have an error in matching the packs to the rides. I dropped them an e-mail last night - see what they have to say today.

Cheers,
Russ

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

psike

Postby psike » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:03 am

Pedal Power confirmed in email today the were errors in some of the mail out registrations.

"A number of riders have received incorrect rider packs. New rider packs have been prepared for those riders and will be posted on Friday 23 October."

Russ.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

psike

Postby psike » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Sunday Fine, sunny. Min 11 Max 29
ugh.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Well, we can't complain about the cold.

Here I am. If you're doing the Classic, come and say hi.

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:07 pm

I received the wrong rider pack as well. Don't know if it matters too much. The instructions indicate that if you want to change your ride on the morning of the ride, just record it on your starting tear off strip.

I'm looking forward to it now. I signed up for the 105km version. 1 new bike (my first road bike) a few weeks ago, a new rear cassette last week (11-28) and a few good hill training rides in the last couple of weeks has me more optimistic than I was a month ago. Just hope it's not 35deg or blowing a gale!!
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:01 pm

Wish i was doing it now.........but instead i'll be relaxing somewhere down the coast so i guess i can't really complain :P .
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

psike

Postby psike » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 am

Well did Fitz's and Orroral Valley yesterday and I'm clearly still suffering from the chest infection :( Been a terrible lead up to Fitz's and I'm now very concerned about the Epic, I guess if worse comes to worst I can just skip Corin and Honeysuckle and limp home. I went out on the roadie yesterday and after grinding up Fitz's decided I'll take the CX on the day to get that lower gearing. Will be on a Blue/White Kona Jake The Snake in Hartley Health team gear - say hi as you whiz past :)

Oh noticed the forecast has changed, maybe for the worse:

Sunday Showers developing. Min 11 Max 27

At least the max temp has dropped, but the idea of some of those descents in the wet scares the begeezus outta me.

Oh on rider packs, they are sending out new packs, they realised the mistake.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:26 pm

psike wrote:Sunday Showers developing. Min 11 Max 27
Oh dear, it gets better.

Saturday Chance of afternoon thunderstorm. Min 10 Max 28
Sunday Chance of afternoon thunderstorm. Min 11 Max 28

EDIT: It's changed again. Who knows what it will be on the day.