Mount Wellington

RobRollin

Mount Wellington

Postby RobRollin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 am

Hi All

Looks like the weather has cleared and it's time to ride Mt Wellington. Any pace you want to ride will be fine, we are trying to get a group together for the ride as it would make it a lot more enjoyable riding as a group than a solo effort.

If your in or think it's just crazy then post below!!

RC

Tom Marius

Re: Mount Wellington

Postby Tom Marius » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:52 am

Good luck with the ride Rob, have a blast! :D
Definitely more fun with other people than solo 8)
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

LG

Postby LG » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:34 am

G'day Rob, I'm not in (ruddy work) or don't think you're crazy so enjoy the ride. Make sure you rug up - 14deg max for Hobart today with probably around 2deg on the summit when taking into account altitude gain makes it a wee chilly.
LG = Low Gear

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:43 am

I'm looking foward to it, I'll be riding the bike track up Mt Wellington and return. Sat is supposed to be Mainly Fine and 18, so around 10 at the summit. I'll be taking a camera to take a few snaps on the way.

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Wish I could come... if the weather is anything like today you'll have a blast!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Jonny Rochester

Postby Jonny Rochester » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:13 pm

I would come, except I accidently pulled my bike apart to sell bits on ebay and buy bits on ebay. I will be up for lots of rides again in 2 weeks at the most. Keep us informed.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Have a good one Rob. Heres hoping ya feel like Alberto going up and Fabian coming down :D

Cheers
Baldy

gilliehead

Postby gilliehead » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 am

Jonny Rochester wrote:I would come, except I accidently pulled my bike apart to sell bits on ebay and buy bits on ebay. I will be up for lots of rides again in 2 weeks at the most. Keep us informed.
Hey jonny, maybe your that guy that always pops up in local ebay searches for 'bike!' :D

Hope you guys enjoyed your Wellington ride and got decent weather for once. None of this fine at 10 am then pissing down at 2 30.

Jonny Rochester

Postby Jonny Rochester » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:38 pm

I am a bit of a weirdo, in that I rarely hide my identity. You can even find me in the phone book! Only a few more crazy days on ebay and I will essemble my bike, a few grades up, a few grams lighter.

I think the trick with Mt Wellington must be to start very early, ride very hard, and get up there and back down before the weather changes. Did I remind you to have full fingured gloves?

Nads

Postby Nads » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Rob,

Looking at travelling down from the NW coast later this year, can you give me some details on riding up Mt Wellington, how far, how hard?

Jonny Rochester

Postby Jonny Rochester » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:08 pm

Nads,
From Hobart city to the top of the mountain is about 22km. It is uphill the whole way. The height of it is about 1200m from memory, so you can work out the gratient from that.

Riding the top half, the conditions will be VERY weather dependant, which could change in seconds. You need full fingered gloves and a jacket for coming down.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:01 am

This bikely map shows the elevation - hit "show" then "elevation profile". The steepest part is the bit between the Springs and the Chalet - can be quite disheartening ;)
This route shows going up Strickland Ave and down Huon Rd - personally I'd stick to Strickland both ways - Huon Rd is a faster descent, but after coming down Pinnacle Rd you'll probably have had all the fast descending you want for one day and there's far less traffic on Strickland ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Nads

Postby Nads » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 am

Guys,

Thanks for your help. Looks very daunting from the profile. Will need to get some more miles in my legs plus drop a few kilos! :shock:

Sounds like a summer time ride.