1959 Carlton Catalina - potential fixie & resto in one .

MichaelB

1959 Carlton Catalina - potential fixie & resto in one .

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:40 pm

Well, some more ebay trolling has found a chap with more than one option, and a stack of bits to believe :shock:

After realising that the 1930's MS was a non-starter (cost, level of work), I stumbled across this one - a 1959 Carlton Catalina.

1959 Carlton Catalina

The good thing is that this frame is local, something different, and the guy whom is selling it is having a bit of a clearance, so could easily pick up a pile of bits needed to complete it.

Any thoughts, parts, advice comments ?

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:10 pm

I've seen bike bits from "O" before, anyone know him?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:13 pm

scratchman wrote:I've seen bike bits from "O" before, anyone know him?
Have spoken to him (Rolf), and he lives about 15min away from me.

Hoping top catch up before the auction ends re the Carlton frame

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:39 pm

Is that the Carlton Capella?

Now that's a classic British frame. It reminds me of a gentleman's light tourer.

Looks like it has a dint on the seat tube - I could live with that. With the single gear lever boss on the down tube, it would be set up as a 5 speed or you could fit a front changer with a lever attached (suicide lever). Great lugs. Is it chromed? - quite desirable.

I would guess that there would be information available that may show you what the bike may have looked like when it left the factory. Carlton was bought out by Raleigh who were owned by TI (Tube Investments) in England.

I'd say that it would suit someone around 5'9" / 5'10".

It is getting harder to source parts that may suit a Brittish bike but that's half the fun of bike restoration.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:33 am

GaryF wrote:Is that the Carlton Capella?
The Capella refers to the lugs used, and these were used between '58 and '66. There were 4 models that used the Capella lugs. It is apparently a Catalina model - the others were Constellation, Clubman & Continental.

Can't find much info on how to identify which one.
GaryF wrote:Looks like it has a dint on the seat tube - I could live with that.
Yes it has. Me too.
GaryF wrote:With the single gear lever boss on the down tube, it would be set up as a 5 speed or you could fit a front changer with a lever attached (suicide lever). Great lugs. Is it chromed? - quite desirable.
The plan is to make it a fixie. It is chromed, and in my initial searches, I managed to find a reference that there was a chromed version of the Catalina that was a "special" but buggered if I can find it again :x
GaryF wrote:I'd say that it would suit someone around 5'9" / 5'10".
I'm 6" & 1/2" , so it should be pretty good.
GaryF wrote:It is getting harder to source parts that may suit a Brittish bike but that's half the fun of bike restoration.
The idea behind the bike is that it is something a little different, the lugs look sweet, and the guy is local.

He has a shedload of other bits, so should be able to get a stem, handlebars, brakes, seatpost & crank/BB from him as well.

As afr as the seat goes, will probably look at a Brooks B17 or similar to keep with the period.

I'm almost getting excited :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Phew, found the reference to the chromed version of the Catalina :

With the introduction of the Capella lugs in 1959, Carlton introduced a whole range of cycles built around the new lugs. The Catalina 1, Catalina Special, Catalina Special all-chrome, Clubman and Clubman special.

Located on this very good website. Some great photo's and interesting links ;

Carlton Cycles Web Page

Still can't quite work out how to strictly identify each model, but I guess that is not the most important thing......

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:47 pm

Sounds like a really interesting project. It should be something special. Good luck.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:38 am

Went and had a lokk at the frame last night. The condition overall is good, but it would need to be re-chromed at the very least.

The guy had heaps of other stuff including several Colnago's (including a 30th Ann one), heaps of 5 Stars in varying degrees of resto, several oder Bianchi's, Holdwsorth Professional, a 1965 Mercian, lots of older Super Elliots etc, etc, etc.

The frame may end up being worth more than I am prepared to pay/afford, but you never know.

One thing that would be truly worth paying extra for is a frame that can be dated to 1966. Then I would pay !!!