Commuting to London

Crawf

Commuting to London

Postby Crawf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:31 am

So I finally got a job in this god forsaken country and after only 1 week on the trains I had a had a gutful of shite overpriced public trains, so after a big layoff its time to get some km's into the legs.
My commute is 56km a day, thankfully not through central London, but from the South up to West London, working odd shifts patterns means half of my commutes are on dead quiet roads which makes a massive difference!
Thankfully I've also had a Garmin 705 to help me out, trying to remember 28km's of London streets is a little tricky for a foreigner, but it took about 4 days and many, many wrong turns to memorise the route. Should be interesting with winter approaching and... the snow.

I've started a bike journal to log my km's, anyone know how to add that into your sig?

Tale

Re: Commuting to London

Postby Tale » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:17 am

Good luck - I've toured in England and ridden a few days in London, and it's a lovely country to ride in, but a tough and smoggy city to ride around. Fortunately they limit car traffic and have better public transport than Sydney, so it's far better on the roads than it might have been. I lived a winter in Glasgow, Scotland, and kept up cycling through winter with longs, a fleece and a goretex cycling jacket, but stopped when it snowed (started again when the cycleways were clear, but snow was piled up on the sides). It's very satisfying to have done a long ride in weather like that, when everyone else barely ventures outdoors! Nice warm traditional pubs are your friends.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:35 am

London is a lot more bike friendly than Sydney, although that has only been the case in the last few years, since the Congestion Tax forced people to rethink how they got around.

You might want to check out the Cyclists' Touring Club who are the main cycling support/activist group in the UK. The name is historical, they promote and support all kinds of cycling.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:31 pm

Jacobite wrote:Should be interesting with winter approaching and... the snow.
Down south you wont get all that much snow. And its only a problem when its the wrong kind of snow.
Lived in Woking for 6 years and had only a couple of days snow each year. The ice on the other hand.......
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

pickle

Postby pickle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Jacobite wrote: I've started a bike journal to log my km's, anyone know how to add that into your sig?
For your viewing pleasure: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14221

How is the ride through london? I only spend a few days near the centre of it when I was there, so I don't really know what it'd be like out in burbs.. Must be a completely different experience to Aussie land?
Data not found... brain not found more like it