Does anyone recognize this decal?

cludence

Does anyone recognize this decal?

Postby cludence » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi, I am hoping someone may recognize this seat tube decal. The bike has the original paintwork but sadly the name has worn/was never there?

I am also wondering if anyone has polished and old frame instead of repainting it and if so, what did you use? I dont want to wear the paint off by using the wrong thing.

Gary? Do you know?

Thanks,

Karen.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:09 am

Lovely old frame.

Hmmm horizontal track dropouts - do I smell a fixie coming on!

As for polishing an old frame - wasn't there a link on here somewhere about using wood bleach (Oxalic acid)?

EDIT - Ahh here is the thread I was thinking about. And on re-reading it I see that you, Karen, were one of the posters who mentioned wood bleach in the first place :D

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:19 am

Yes the wood bleach was me. Unfortunately this seems to take the paint off the older frames. I have heard of people using wax on old frames but wasnt sure about it.
Hmmm horizontal track dropouts - do I smell a fixie coming on!
It has a double sided hub so it is already set up as a fixie. :)

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:51 am

Hi Karen! You could send it to the guys and girls at the Canberra Bicycle Museum and see if they can help.
That reminds me, I'd better go and re-new my 'Friends of the Museum' membership. :oops:
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:44 pm

Karen, I am 95% sure that the decal is one that could have been purchased by any small frame builder to attach to their frame. It has the scroll at the bottom where the frame builder could paint in their name and address, etc. I think I have one of those blank decals.

As for polishing the frame, I have given frames a cut and polish with car products in the past. It can clean up surface discolourisation but it is difficult to use as it can easily wear the paint too thin and expose the undercoat. Sharp edges are very difficult. I'm a bit 'each way' with the results.

cyclepathy

Postby cyclepathy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:30 pm

A few badge sites here but can't see to find this one:

http://www.bikeville.com/headbadges.html
http://www.jimlangley.net/brake/brake.html
http://www.flickr.com/groups/bicycleheadbadges/pool/

Another popular general site to browse through:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/

One a side note, could anyone recommend a good quality bubblejet paper for decal printing?

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:50 am

Hi Gary, thanks for that info and yes you are correct. I spoke with an old frame builder today and he said it was a common decal used by many stores. The original owner of the bike is still around, he is in his 80's as I spoke to his son after picking up the bike. I might drop them a note to find out more about where he got it from. It was obviously a much loved bike for a long time as it has been well kept considering it's age. It won't take much work for me to get it going again. Someone pinched the saddle from it but I managed to pick up a nice old brooks saddle today so bar two wingnuts and a service and clean, it is not far from being ready for me to take for a ride.

Karen.