Northside route advice

cp123

Northside route advice

Postby cp123 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi all - I'm from the better half of the city :P :lol: and only know the major roads on the north side. I'm working on getting a new victim :twisted: , err participant into this year's RTW day. I said i'd drive to her house and ride into and out of work with her to give her some moral support and company prior to next week's big day. - You know -a practice run.

She's in the Dunlop/Charnwood area and I'm looking for a road avoiding route if at all possible. I expected the way we'd come is via Gininnderra Drive (does this road have an on road shoulder that could be perceived as safe for a newbie?). Is the bikepath along there continuous all the way to the western end?

(Sorry I only know the path out to about McKellar and beyond the lake) :oops: :lol: The way i was expecting to travel would have been get to the Belco lake, around there and out through Cook and down via the Bindubi Street path and around the north side of the lake. And same way on the return although the William Hovell hill could be not pleasant for her - although she is extremely running fit and sporty.

My other choice would be the Barry Drive hill up and over but again, that is on the road. Or Northbourne and then Ginninderra. I would rather not put her onto any big roads at this stage in case it scares the crap out of her.

Can someone in the know let me know if we can do it the whole way on the path? My old dodgy phonebook doesn't have that area on it. Yes, ok - its about 6 years old but its good for maps in other suburbs.

Thanks heaps all.

CP :lol:

HAKS

Re: Northside route advice

Postby HAKS » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:15 pm

pretty sure this is pretty up to date with cycle paths etc

http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/plandev/t ... h_map3.swf
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks Haks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

She's postponed tomorrow for a better offer but we'll be doing it Tuesday next week.

:)

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:08 pm

The obvious cycle link missing from that map is the Gungahlin Drive on-road cycle ways.

From Charnwood to the City i would go the following mainly as i prefer bike paths. Def not the fastest route thou, which would likely be Ginninderra drive all the way then bike path through Lyneham, O'Conner etc.

Along Ginninderra Drive Bike path
Follow bike path as it follows Ginninderra Creek. Goes into Melba & McKeller for a while
Continue on Bike path on northern side of Ginn Drive until you meet the Bike path (AT) the Lake (in Lawson)
Right turn there and follow path toward John Knight Park
I would then go up through Canberra Uni and out near Radford
Jump on that Bike path, cross Hayden Drive before the Hospital and head up in O'Conner Ridge
Follow the path into O'Conner, then cross Macarthur Ave and follow through Turner etc to the City

That would get you all the way on From Charnwood to City on bike paths :). If you take her the Glenloch interchange route make sure she waves at the lovely Magpie :lol:
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 pm

HAKS wrote:If you take her the Glenloch interchange route make sure she waves at the lovely Magpie :lol:
You are SO evil. :shock:

I'd go Ginninderra, then take the cycle path up to Lyneham.

Actually, If it were really up to me, I'd go via Gungahlin and then do Northbourne as a speed run. :twisted:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:50 pm

If your colleague is scared of the road traffic, this is the way I would go.

There is a bike path which enters Florey somewhere at it's NW corner(not far from Kingsford Smith Dr/Ginninderra Dr intersection) which takes you all the way to Lake Ginninderra without sharing roads. It's not old, and in good condition. I'd take that route. Then take the path up Eastern Way to Belconnen Way/Bindubi St. From there I'd take the path which runs parallel to Belconnen Way up to Haydon Dr, then follow the path down Haydon Dr which then turns right at Bruce CIT. It takes you to Lyneham, then through O'Connor into the city.