polar cs 600

Parrott

polar cs 600

Postby Parrott » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Why not one of these as a power meter for training? Who cares if the outright reading is not 100% accurate, as long as it reads close to the same each time. I have deep dish carbon wheels and a disk for tt's so to replace them with a powertap would be ridiculously expensive. Seems like a realistically priced option to me, replacing all my wheels with power tapped ones is not.

toolonglegs

Re: polar cs 600

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Isn't because they are a PITA to set up...and things like lubing the chain/ riding in the rain or even chain wear can upset the accuracy hugely.
Maybe if these new pedal based power meters that are to be released next year might be the go...if they are any good.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:51 pm

There is a bloke in our club who runs one so I'll have to see what he reckons. I don't ride in the rain though so I can scratch that one :lol: fair weather rider here, I'll do a spinervals if it looks like rain. Can't even scrape the funds for one of them at this year anyway, I was hoping it was something to aim towards, though maybe not :?

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:02 pm

its not much cheaper then a power tap
may aswell go the better product if your prepared to fork out that much cash

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:29 pm

It is if I buy a powertap disc wheel. I would like to know what power I am developing during a tt and see what changes position makes.

Optimus Verto

Postby Optimus Verto » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:08 pm

I have been considering power meters for some time. PowerTap is the one you should be aiming for, in cheapest power meter segment.
First positive thing about polar is price. Isn't it over $300 USD mark?
Second positive, with some limitation. The only reliable measurement you can get with it, is indoor. I remember seeing people's responses that when used indoor it tends to be as precise as PT, but I suspect that observations were made with older powertaps and they are something like +/- 5 or 2,5%, so I doubt polar can match current PT models in +/-1,5% range.
There is also a chance of savings if you have got some polar items that can be utilised in power measuring setup.

Overall, there is a tendency that people who bought polar then bought into PT or better.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:08 pm

The disadvantage for me with the powertap is that I have a couple of grand worth of wheels I can't use cause they dont have a powertap hub. So when you take that into account it is a very expensive option.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:06 pm

If you haven't got the money at the moment this may be worth the wait.
http://www.metrigear.com/

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:34 pm

toolonglegs wrote:If you haven't got the money at the moment this may be worth the wait.
I was thinking of developing a pedal based system just like that.
It looks like the way to go. Easy to swap between bikes.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:47 am

toolonglegs wrote:If you haven't got the money at the moment this may be worth the wait.
Thanks, that looks very interesting, have to be a cheaper option than buying new wheels.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:54 am

These guys are developing something similar, except embedded in the cleat.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:27 am

looks pretty cool
and it should be a cheapish option for people who cant use a power tap

im assuming the estimated price is US $1000 plus what ever computer you choose to buy
would be better if it came with a computer

pine

Postby pine » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:03 am

I have polar cs 600; I just look at my cadence grade of the hills and speed. I also like to down load it onto computer. I am not a serious rider; I ride for fun but do like to improve on my hill climbs, so it does come in handy.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:14 pm

USM TOM wrote:im assuming the estimated price is US $1000 plus what ever computer you choose to buy
would be better if it came with a computer
Back to the cs600 at that price with no computer :cry:
pine wrote:I have polar cs 600; I just look at my cadence grade of the hills and speed. I also like to down load it onto computer. I am not a serious rider; I ride for fun but do like to improve on my hill climbs, so it does come in handy.
Do you have the power meter side of it and if so how does it go?

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 pm

why not use a power tap on a training rim for training only and race with out your power meter??

ive read that the polar power meters are pretty crap and super hard to set up

pine

Postby pine » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 pm

[quote="Parrott
pine wrote:I have polar cs 600; I just look at my cadence grade of the hills and speed. I also like to down load it onto computer. I am not a serious rider; I ride for fun but do like to improve on my hill climbs, so it does come in handy.
Just looked at the graphs and numbers, I can’t see anything about power meter. I don’t believe I require one for my type of riding, the cadence, time in the saddle, and improvement in speed is what I go by. I know I have improved when I am able to ride with other riders that I couldn’t keep up with before.( saying that I do have time on my hands during the week and will spend time in the saddle).
Just looked at the Polar again, yes it has a power meter, but it seems I have it off. I would need to go to a pro bike shop to set that part up, but as previously said, I don't require it for my riding.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:51 pm

pine wrote:[quote="Parrott
Just looked at the graphs and numbers, I can’t see anything about power meter. I don’t believe I require one for my type of riding, the cadence, time in the saddle, and improvement in speed is what I go by. I know I have improved when I am able to ride with other riders that I couldn’t keep up with before.( saying that I do have time on my hands during the week and will spend time in the saddle).
Just looked at the Polar again, yes it has a power meter, but it seems I have it off. I would need to go to a pro bike shop to set that part up, but as previously said, I don't require it for my riding.
You would have to spend another $500 or so for the power reading attachments to go with it.

pine

Postby pine » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:59 pm

["
toolonglegs
You would have to spend another $500 or so for the power reading attachments to go with it
Thank you for that, finance is not a problem but I don’t think I am in need. For me it would just be 500 dollars of extra weight on the bike :wink:

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:07 pm

pine wrote:["
toolonglegs
You would have to spend another $500 or so for the power reading attachments to go with it
Thank you for that, finance is not a problem but I don’t think I am in need. For me it would just be 500 dollars of extra weight on the bike :wink:

well reading my power tap booklet removing 3kg of weight from your bike makes you a massive 5 seconds quicker on a 40km time trial 8)
(yes i did see your wink :lol: ) just a interesting fact
but yeah if you dont need it then why have one :)

pine

Postby pine » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Yes I am not serious; I do love a good challenge. I no longer race triathlons, I am just happy to ride solo and sometimes with the young boys who keep me young. But if ever I race again, it is nice to know I have an option to get the piece I require. After having a Microdiscectomy I now listen to my body.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 pm

USM TOM wrote:why not use a power tap on a training rim for training only and race with out your power meter??

ive read that the polar power meters are pretty crap and super hard to set up

Yeah they're not as cheap as I thought they were either, the price I was looking at was just for the head unit sans power sensor. The training rim looks like an option I spose but I would like to know what I am doing in a tt, it will always be higher than training I reckon. Be nice to be able to dial pacing off the power meter.

But I might as well be honest and admit I'm dreaming anyway, I am only a local hack and just having a bit of fun, there's plenty of family/household stuff I should be spending the money on :lol:

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 pm

pine wrote: Just looked at the graphs and numbers, I can’t see anything about power meter. I don’t believe I require one for my type of riding, the cadence, time in the saddle, and improvement in speed is what I go by. I know I have improved when I am able to ride with other riders that I couldn’t keep up with before.( saying that I do have time on my hands during the week and will spend time in the saddle).

Thanks for replying I probably don't need one either, just got a bit envious reading about the benefits of using one. If I'm honest I'm probably too lazy to train that hard anyway :? :lol:

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:55 pm

Those cleat ones look really interesting - especially plots for the power of each different foot (looking at pedalling efficiency etc). THat would actually make me consider very closely a power meter

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:14 am

Parrott wrote:
But I might as well be honest and admit I'm dreaming anyway, I am only a local hack and just having a bit of fun, there's plenty of family/household stuff I should be spending the money on :lol:
bike toys always come first :)

i havnt even really started to use mine but after a few quick goes i can see how its a powerfull training aid and it is really good on a indoor trainer

pine

Postby pine » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:36 am

Parrott wrote:
Thanks for replying I probably don't need one either, just got a bit envious reading about the benefits of using one. If I'm honest I'm probably too lazy to train that hard anyway :? :lol:
No you are not lazy, you are just prioritising. As I said before, it is the power of the mind. Some people have every “Danoz direct” equipment that was advertised (remember, free tummy bend with this 5kg tuck shop arm shaper). Please don’t think that I am not a believer in the power meter, I just think it is not for everyone. You may surprise yourself; there is nothing to say that your natural ability without one will be better then someone with one.
This just my thought and not a criticism :)