Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

MichaelB

Re: Crapola!!!....

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 14, 2009 9:17 am

The Rebellin saga/test has gone a bit quiet .....

It will be interesting to see the results from Pfannberger and Rebellin.

I wonder what the defence strategy for Schumacher is now that the lawyer was saying the Olympic test is the leftover from TdF - but I didn't use anything .... oops ....

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 pm

I read in "l'equipe" today that Laurent Fignon has an advanced cancer of the digestive tracks, he is also about to publish a book about cycling and doping titled"We were young and careless"(translation of "Nous etions jeunes et insouciants"). He does not know if his cancer is due to what he took but he does not rule it out. He also admitted using cortisone and amphetamines regularly while until last year he was very defensive about this subject despite being busted officially twice in his career.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:44 am

xavdav wrote:I read in "l'equipe" today that Laurent Fignon has an advanced cancer of the digestive tracks, he is also about to publish a book about cycling and doping titled"We were young and careless"(translation of "Nous etions jeunes et insouciants"). He does not know if his cancer is due to what he took but he does not rule it out. He also admitted using cortisone and amphetamines regularly while until last year he was very defensive about this subject despite being busted officially twice in his career.
Or "we were young and carefree" ... not careless ?.

Also...

Fignon answered frankly when the interviewer on the "7 a 8" program asked if there might have been a connection between his past doping practices and this illness.

"I will not say it did not play a role,” he said. “I just don’t know. At this point, it’s impossible to say yes or no. According to my doctors, apparently not. I discussed my personal history quite frankly and they said that would be too simple an explanation.

"Digestive cancer is primarily a disease of nutrition. The products I took were intramuscular, they didn't pass through the stomach. So, no, if all the cyclists who doped would later have cancer, then everyone would have cancer … Whether those who lived through 1998, when a lot of extreme things happened, will get cancer after 10 or 20 years, I really can't say.”

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:39 pm

Poor old Cadel..another of his recruits out...Thomas Dekker test positive for EPO while riding for Rabobank!.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:05 am

toolonglegs wrote:Poor old Cadel..another of his recruits out...Thomas Dekker test positive for EPO while riding for Rabobank!.
Wonder if it had anything to do with rabobank slowly getting rid of him .....

jules21

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:15 pm

in defence of cycling, it has pulled out all stops to combat doping.

if you compare that with past practices of the US track and field association who covered up positive tests of its own athletes, the UCI can hold its head up high (if not all of the riders).

gdt

Postby gdt » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:49 am

jules21 wrote:in defence of cycling, it has pulled out all stops to combat doping.
Can't say I've noticed the life bans for doping breaches which are used in some other sports.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:12 am

incidentally i work in a compliance-related area (i'm not a cop).

compliance is composed broadly of two elements - detection capability and severity of sanction imposed once non-compliance is detected.

often severity is used as a substitute for a lack of detection capability - the latter being the better measure of how serious a compliance body is about compliance. i would argue life bans are not a reliable indicator that the governing body is serious about tackling performance enhancing drugs.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 am

toolonglegs wrote:Poor old Cadel..another of his recruits out...Thomas Dekker test positive for EPO while riding for Rabobank!.
Dekker's B-Sample positive too
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:03 am

Shimano recently released their anti-doping policy - which affects teams or riders they sponsor:
Shimano wrote:• If the team management of one of our sponsored teams (no matter in which cycling discipline) is involved in any doping affair, we will stop our sponsorship of this team immediately

• If an individual rider is involved in any doping affair without the knowledge of the team management, the team will be given the chance to give a clear explanation and a future improvement & control plan to Shimano, upon that it will be decided to continue the sponsoring or not. If another doping incident occurs within the same team, we will keep the option of terminating our sponsorship contract
Need more companies putting on pressure like this.
Cycling is in my BNA

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:47 am

I dont like the second point, name one team since the Festina saga where a teams been implicated (ok maybe T-Mobile but not really till after the team moved over to the High Road man. ) whats a bet the teams will stick to the we are shocked approach and Shimano will look good because there so tough on there teams :roll: Reminds me of the internal testing schemes which we seem not to hear that much about, might have something to do with the fact that the teams that ran them are sponsored up for a couple of years.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:44 pm

if they were serious they'd require all sponsored riders to publish their blood values.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:36 am

Last edited by toolonglegs on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:00 am

They did the exact same thing last year there were rumours of CSC riders in trouble ended up being a couple of riders busted. Instresting that they showed the list of riders to Kohl didnt realise he was all cosie all of a sudden with the testers. Could be cycling "Catch me if you can" :shock:
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:04 am

Yeah the Kohl thing is a bit strange.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:12 am

I think in some of the threads previously we have discussed one of the fatal flaws of the blood passport - if a riding already has 'manipulated values' from doping and then starts with the blood passport - it will all appear regular.

Doping control avoidance is big business.
Cycling is in my BNA

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:55 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I think in some of the threads previously we have discussed one of the fatal flaws of the blood passport - if a riding already has 'manipulated values' from doping and then starts with the blood passport - it will all appear regular.

Doping control avoidance is big business.
From my very little understanding of the Bio. Passport i think its a little more complicated. I rider cant blood dope 365 days a year so the variation does eventually happen i think the B.P. is a really good step in the right direction, though im sure some smart bugger will figure a way of getting around it its already catching some of the stupid ones.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:05 pm

We must be rather more advanced.
Last edited by toolonglegs on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

1st XV

Postby 1st XV » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:01 pm

uh oh...(maybe) another one..................

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gerdemann-denies-doping

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 am

chris641

Postby chris641 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:27 am

Regarding the retesting of the 2008 TDF samples.... "The retesting involves 15 of the top 20 riders, according to Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport."

Better not be Cadel.... On the other hand maybe he could become the winner of the 2008 TDF? Who knows..
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

grw

Postby grw » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:37 pm

Saw this in the paper this morning....http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oc ... able-drugs
"Bordry said he believes illegal blood transfusions – for which there is a test – were still in use at this year's Tour, and he claimed that his agency had found evidence of "hardcore medicines" in rubbish bins during the Tour, including "a substance for producing insulin that is normally used by diabetics.""

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:09 pm

chris641 wrote:Regarding the retesting of the 2008 TDF samples.... "The retesting involves 15 of the top 20 riders, according to Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport."

Better not be Cadel.... On the other hand maybe he could become the winner of the 2008 TDF? Who knows..

Nahh dont worry Cadel was barely in the top 40 :wink: , bet nothing comes of this it didnt last year. Wait for the new tests for the two new products and then theyll start getting them

chris641

Postby chris641 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:10 pm

RICHARDH wrote:
chris641 wrote:Regarding the retesting of the 2008 TDF samples.... "The retesting involves 15 of the top 20 riders, according to Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport."

Nahh dont worry Cadel was barely in the top 40 :wink: , bet nothing comes of this it didnt last year. Wait for the new tests for the two new products and then theyll start getting them
No they are retesting the 2008 samples, when Cadel came 2nd... And yes I agree, once they develop tests for hematide and the other one there will be some cyclists in serious trouble.
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 pm

grw wrote:Saw this in the paper this morning....http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oc ... able-drugs
"Bordry said he believes illegal blood transfusions – for which there is a test – were still in use at this year's Tour, and he claimed that his agency had found evidence of "hardcore medicines" in rubbish bins during the Tour, including "a substance for producing insulin that is normally used by diabetics.""

This always cracks me up this bit about stuff in rubbish bins. I mean you go to all the effort of opening apartments with false names, code names for blood samples, temporary medical facilities in different countries and training in far flung places, just to leave the evidence in the bin of the hotel you are staying at whilst the tour is running.

Please!!!!
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass