What target speed for a noob at Calga?

Chris249

What target speed for a noob at Calga?

Postby Chris249 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 pm

I hope to be doing my first TT this weekend at Calga. I've never ridden the course before, have no heart rate monitor or power meter, so the only way I can measure my pace (apart from pain level) would be by the speedo.

So how fast should I be trying to go, realistically?

In my four road races/crits so far I've averaged middle/front of the pack. One was in RBCC D Grade, one was Tour of August D grade, one a club handicap, and one in C Grade at Waratah Vets' Southern Hemisphere Cup. I'm 46 and on a Cervelo P2K with cheap wheels (R500s) and a standard helmet. That's probably a more competitive bike than my roadie (a Vivente Como). I'm aiming for the 45k course.

Looking at the times and assuming as a competitive D grader I'd be 75% back in the field, I'm guessing that I should aim to go out at 31-32kmh and give it as much as I can over the last few ks?

Any feedback appreciated.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: What target speed for a noob at Calga?

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:51 am

Hi Chris, the TT course is a hillier than EC raceway that you did last Sunday and its also difficult to compare bunch racing with individual efforts.

I have been there in a team effort, but not as an individual and based on that one experience, I'd guesitmate my average speed as been about 36kph, so you could make your estimate based on where you think you are, in comparison with me.

Why don't you treat this first venture at Calga as a learning experience, treating the result as a baseline to go out and smash next time you are there.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Damn, that was fun!

Thanks for the advice, Mike; having your speed gave me a target to work at (not to try to match!)!! It was challenging and fun to try to work on pacing, trading off effort for speed. On the way back I started working harder and within a few ks of the finish I was pushing hard with only one little hill to go.....well, one little hill and one dirty stinkin' great one (in comparison) that I'd completely forgotten about. :shock: That really knocks the average down!

Ended up averaging 34.8 kmh for a finish in 43m 5s , putting me 11th out of 23 starters over the 25km course and lifting to 10th on age-corrected times (although a quirk of the software puts those who scored DNFs ahead on the list) and less than a minute out of 5th. Gotta be very happy with that, as a noob, and there's lots of room for improvement.

This could be my favourite form of cycling; it seems less 'political' than mass starts and you can assess your own progress much more easily, plus there's the thrill of the open road and a TT bike. It's also great to be able to compare yourself to the top guys (impossible to do when racing in graded events) and to have the results corrected for age standards.

Well done to the organisers for a great event. The setup is excellent. There's a trailer with ramp and timer for the start, so you can dream that you're a pro, and the times and running results are available as soon as you finish. Many thanks, ATTA NSW and Bycology!
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

Grant W

Postby Grant W » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Chris249 wrote:Damn, that was fun!

Thanks for the advice, Mike; having your speed gave me a target to work at (not to try to match!)!! It was challenging and fun to try to work on pacing, trading off effort for speed. On the way back I started working harder and within a few ks of the finish I was pushing hard with only one little hill to go.....well, one little hill and one dirty stinkin' great one (in comparison) that I'd completely forgotten about. :shock: That really knocks the average down!

Ended up averaging 34.8 kmh for a finish in 43m 5s , putting me 11th out of 23 starters over the 25km course and lifting to 10th on age-corrected times (although a quirk of the software puts those who scored DNFs ahead on the list) and less than a minute out of 5th. Gotta be very happy with that, as a noob, and there's lots of room for improvement.

This could be my favourite form of cycling; it seems less 'political' than mass starts and you can assess your own progress much more easily, plus there's the thrill of the open road and a TT bike. It's also great to be able to compare yourself to the top guys (impossible to do when racing in graded events) and to have the results corrected for age standards.

Well done to the organisers for a great event. The setup is excellent. There's a trailer with ramp and timer for the start, so you can dream that you're a pro, and the times and running results are available as soon as you finish. Many thanks, ATTA NSW and Bycology!

Hey Chris,
Don't know if this is co-incidence but are you the same Chris249 off "Sailing Anarchy"?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Great time Chris, that's well ahead of your estimate

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Grant W wrote:
Chris249 wrote:Damn, that was fun!

Hey Chris,
Don't know if this is co-incidence but are you the same Chris249 off "Sailing Anarchy"?

Yeah, that's me. I don't go there any more that I've got over the addiction. It used to be a great place to get information, now you only get opinions.

What's your tag there?

Chris
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:33 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Great time Chris, that's well ahead of your estimate
Thanks mate!

The good thing about TTs is that I have less chance to make mistakes, like taking detours through the bushes! :lol:

I wonder if a club TT could be another good way to get some of the non-competitive riders at DH into the racing scene?
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

Grant W

Postby Grant W » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:35 pm

Hey man, small world!
Tag was "Revelations"
Same, DL bull S*it turned me off the forum and I gave up the water for two wheels to loose some weight and strengthen a crook hip and became hooked.

Welcome mate, good luck with the riding and yep, I'm also a HUGE fan of the TT's. I'd love to experience a Team TT that would be great.

Regards and hope to see you on the road some time.

Grant

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Chris249 wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Great time Chris, that's well ahead of your estimate
Thanks mate!

The good thing about TTs is that I have less chance to make mistakes, like taking detours through the bushes! :lol:

I wonder if a club TT could be another good way to get some of the non-competitive riders at DH into the racing scene?
Everyone starts racing for different reasons, perhaps some may follow your lead.

You get another chance to [not] visit the bushes Sunday week. I won't be racing, as I've got the finals of worlds crit race, assuming I make it to the final and even if I don't I need to save myself for the UCI track worlds starting the following day.

Anyway back to the crit next Sunday week. I recon you could take it out, as your handicap is based on your previous performance and you have clearly improved on that.