Traditional Training

catnfiddle

Traditional Training

Postby catnfiddle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Does anyone actually train without heart monitors etc....if so would like to know what they are doing?

Back on two weeks after a long while, pain still there with getting fit and motivating myself to go our and ride, but everyone appears so serious about training, to the extent the fun seems to have been removed from going out and smashing 5 hours on the saddle.

toolonglegs

Re: Traditional Training

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:24 pm

I used to train on perceived effort...but it wasn't a hell of lot different from what I do now with a power meter.
The reason people don't go and smash themselves on 5 hour training rides is they can achieve more in a 2 hour ride at a higher intensity.

But Carlos Sastre is funny in Overcoming video when talking about the SRM with higher intelligence than himself.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:34 pm

At the moment I'm a bit of an 'old schooler' when it comes to training. I (generally) don't use a HRM, and I don't own a power meter. I don't know my max heart rate (so there is not a huge amount of point in working to zones) so I basically go on perceived effort. At the moment I am just trying to build the distance into the legs (and arms since I train for tri's) without a huge emphasis on highly effective training.

I will probably move to look to more effective training tools as I progress in my sport but, like yourself, I still enjoy smashing out a big ride, or climbing some big hills without too much emphasis on zones etc.

Grant W

Postby Grant W » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Love that movie
Bit disturbing though when Oli and Carlos are telling each other how beautiful they are during the massage.

Share the love

Mattsbike

Postby Mattsbike » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:43 am

Ok still OT, but Overcoming is a great movie. Well worth watching if you get the chance.

Matt
Matt

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:20 am

catnfiddle wrote:Does anyone actually train without heart monitors etc....if so would like to know what they are doing?
I do. Don't own a HRM nor know my max HR though I feel I might have hit it a few times :oops: I commute daily as well as (mostly) 30km training rides with my club Tuesdays and Thursdays, sometimes do a recovery ride of about 85km on Sundays after racing on Saturdays. It's not very intense but then I ride because I enjoy it.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:31 am

catnfiddle wrote:Does anyone actually train without heart monitors etc....if so would like to know what they are doing?

Back on two weeks after a long while, pain still there with getting fit and motivating myself to go our and ride, but everyone appears so serious about training, to the extent the fun seems to have been removed from going out and smashing 5 hours on the saddle.
Hard training is fun. :D

5 hours of smashing sounds pretty darn serious to me (and can be fun). Not sure how having a recording device on board changes that?

catnfiddle

Postby catnfiddle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:22 pm

cheers for the replies.

glad to hear the distances of 30km are in the throw,

Currently my regime for the last 8 weeks has been, (after many years of the saddle)
2 rides of 30km (max) during week. Medium intensity. tues and thursday
sat morning upto 50km, med with 10km interval sprints and pace at 35km plus

sun morning 70-100km, ride out for enjoyment.

nearly 200km a week, i think i need another 2 months, as when tuesday comes, my legs are really heavy and it takes about 15km to get going,

any suggestions on any of the above?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:42 pm

catnfiddle wrote:cheers for the replies.

glad to hear the distances of 30km are in the throw,

Currently my regime for the last 8 weeks has been, (after many years of the saddle)
2 rides of 30km (max) during week. Medium intensity. tues and thursday
sat morning upto 50km, med with 10km interval sprints and pace at 35km plus

sun morning 70-100km, ride out for enjoyment.

nearly 200km a week, i think i need another 2 months, as when tuesday comes, my legs are really heavy and it takes about 15km to get going,

any suggestions on any of the above?
yeah - you'll get stale doing the same thing.

catnfiddle

Postby catnfiddle » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:10 pm

yeah too true, will mix it up a bit, may include some swimming.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:29 pm

catnfiddle wrote:yeah too true, will mix it up a bit, may include some swimming.
well I was thinking more a progressive overload, which is a combination of altering the duration, frequency and intensity of your training....

catnfiddle

Postby catnfiddle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:31 am

Spinning around Kings Park

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:36 pm

i do traditional training. i know during and after a ride whether i'm pushing myself or cruising.

to be honest, i get a bit nervous watching my heartbeat get into the 200s - i'd rather not know. i remember robbie mcewen wired up after a spring finish, checking his monitor peaking at 230 and wonder aloud whether that was good for his long term health :)