Supplements

Grant W

Re: Supplements

Postby Grant W » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Blackmores COQ10 50mg 60 tablets AUS$46.00

300gm shot = $4.60

Is this a recovery supplement or performance ?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Grant W wrote:Blackmores COQ10 50mg 60 tablets AUS$46.00

300gm shot = $4.60

I think that's Blackmore's performance way of recovering the supplementary money in your wallet.

Grant W

Postby Grant W » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:27 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Grant W wrote:Blackmores COQ10 50mg 60 tablets AUS$46.00

300gm shot = $4.60

I think that's Blackmore's performance way of recovering the supplementary money in your wallet.

:mrgreen:

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Has anyone used beta alanine? I have heard good reports on this...Anyone used it?
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Best ergogenic aid is training. Build the engine (and strip some fat) before worrying about tuning it with pharmaceuticals.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:51 am

Using magnesium tablets to try and minimise muscle cramping. Had good results with endura but as is so expensive I'm saving that for race day and using magnesium tablets on alternate days. Off the dairy too with a marked reduction in bloating and flatulence :oops: so using calcium on the other days. Used to the taste of soy now and actually like the taste of a couple of brands.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:46 am

Parrott wrote:Using magnesium tablets to try and minimise muscle cramping. Had good results with endura but as is so expensive I'm saving that for race day and using magnesium tablets on alternate days. Off the dairy too with a marked reduction in bloating and flatulence :oops: so using calcium on the other days. Used to the taste of soy now and actually like the taste of a couple of brands.
Except soy has some implications for men. Female hormones and cancer impacts? Something like that.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:14 pm

twizzle wrote:
Except soy has some implications for men. Female hormones and cancer impacts? Something like that.
yeah i would steer clear of soy

i drink lactose free milk and it tastes awesome and doesnt bloat me like regular milk does

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:11 pm

twizzle wrote:
Parrott wrote:Using magnesium tablets to try and minimise muscle cramping. Had good results with endura but as is so expensive I'm saving that for race day and using magnesium tablets on alternate days. Off the dairy too with a marked reduction in bloating and flatulence :oops: so using calcium on the other days. Used to the taste of soy now and actually like the taste of a couple of brands.
Sounds like unfounded hysteria to me.

Please provide the body of evidence to support promoting such claims.

Some soy products may contain other additives that may be an issue for some.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:33 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Sounds like unfounded hysteria to me.
And me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean#Men

Probably more to do with the "real men eat meat after they have gone hunting in [insert supermarket]".

Big Friendly Vegan has 4 kids (IIRC). Asia hardly suffers from under-population.

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:24 pm

read any bodybuilding forum and you will soon be told to stay away from soy

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:35 pm

simonn wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Sounds like unfounded hysteria to me.
And me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean#Men

Probably more to do with the "real men eat meat after they have gone hunting in [insert supermarket]".

Big Friendly Vegan has 4 kids (IIRC). Asia hardly suffers from under-population.
From one of the studies cited by the wikipedia page:
some guys wrote:CONCLUSIONS: These data suggest that higher intake of soy foods and soy isoflavones is associated with lower sperm concentration.
and
some guys wrote:High isoflavone intake has been related to decreased fertility in animal studies, but data in humans are scarce.
So perhaps not entirely unfounded, but the jury is obviously still out.

On cancer, however:
some other guys wrote:This study supports the hypotheses that soy foods and enterolactone metabolised from dietary lignans protect against prostate cancer in older Scottish men.
Unfortunately I'm neither older nor Scottish, so I guess I'll just keep drinking regular ol' cow's milk ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:45 pm

USM TOM wrote:read any bodybuilding forum and you will soon be told to stay away from soy
Read any fitness forum and you will soon be told to stay away from bodybuilders. :wink:
- Dave

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Can't drink cow's milk anymore without serious copious quantities of flatulence (can come in handy sometimes :twisted: ) or spray painting the bowl. Cut right back on the gluten also and feeling better for it also. Not worried about my sperm count as I've got two kids and had the snip. The whole soy hysteria does sound unsubstantiated to me though. It's not like cows milk is going to be any better for you either. It is designed to feed a bovine calf that grows much larger much faster than us , not adult humans who are trying not to grow anymore :lol:

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:03 pm

So perhaps not entirely unfounded, but the jury is obviously still out.
Nope, the jury is in.
According to a professor at university on this subject, excess quantities of soy is only a problem for those who consume very little fibre. Those body builder guys hear the word oestrogen and that's their decision made up. At normal (~30g per day) fibre levels, it's just not biologically possible.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade