Titanium Bolts

aeroslave

Titanium Bolts

Postby aeroslave » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Can someone give me a run down of the sizes of Bolts in a common road bike? Like size of bolts on stems, FD, RD, seatclamps...common sizes that is.

I am looking at buying Ti bolts and they have M6, M5 etc etc as sizes and I am honestly a bit confused and would not want to buy the wrong size.

Cheers!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

provoked

Re: Titanium Bolts

Postby provoked » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:47 pm

OOO - I'll be watching this. I want to change my stem bolts and seat post bolts as they've rusted inside a little (bike is 10 months old or so :shock: ).

Apologies for the silly question, but why titanium? Rust resistance?
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:02 pm

from memory, M6 just means it's a metric thread of external diameter 6mm - simple.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:04 pm

provoked wrote:OOO - I'll be watching this. I want to change my stem bolts and seat post bolts as they've rusted inside a little (bike is 10 months old or so :shock: ).

Apologies for the silly question, but why titanium? Rust resistance?

The bolts on my Cervelo SLC and Cannondale Six13 have started rusting even though I haven't used it in the rain. Probably due to condensation and sweat? who knows....Ti doesn't rust, lighter than aluminum which is not entirely cheap either...might as well go Ti....
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

provoked

Postby provoked » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:04 pm

jules21 wrote:from memory, M6 just means it's a metric thread of external diameter 6mm - simple.
I think his question is more so related to the sizes he needs for individual components on his bike. I don't think mine are marked (too cold to check :P)
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:09 pm

surely the only way to be sure is to undo them and run a vernier across them.

i'd imagine that different bikes may use different size bolts.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 pm

Vernier clamps are a good idea.... but it's always best to get an opinion from a reputable LBS.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:49 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:The bolts on my Cervelo SLC and Cannondale Six13 have started rusting even though I haven't used it in the rain. Probably due to condensation and sweat? who knows....Ti doesn't rust, lighter than aluminum which is not entirely cheap either...might as well go Ti....
Though of stainless? Had to change the Shimano bolts on my Tiagra L/H external bearing crank. Just took some measurements and went down to the stainless supplier and bought some. Relatively cheap and probably much easier to source than Ti.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:54 pm

Chaderotti wrote:Vernier clamps are a good idea.... but it's always best to get an opinion from a reputable LBS.

Yup, thats what I am going to do soon...just making use of this forum. Taking a chance someone has taken this beautiful Titanium Bolt route ahead of me.... :D

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:55 pm

Nobody wrote:
aeroslavebigbelly wrote:The bolts on my Cervelo SLC and Cannondale Six13 have started rusting even though I haven't used it in the rain. Probably due to condensation and sweat? who knows....Ti doesn't rust, lighter than aluminum which is not entirely cheap either...might as well go Ti....
Though of stainless? Had to change the Shimano bolts on my Tiagra L/H external bearing crank. Just took some measurements and went down to the stainless supplier and bought some. Relatively cheap and probably much easier to source than Ti.

I am very keen on Titanium. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:58 pm

make sure you lube them. raw ti bolts on ti components will stick together like criminals

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:18 pm

munga wrote:make sure you lube them. raw ti bolts on ti components will stick together like criminals
Thanks mate,..what do you use? Normal grease would do?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Most bolts on bikes are 5mm or 6mm...lengths can vary...say 15mm for bottle cages...up to 25mm for stems etc.Only way to know is to pull them out.I have a sh*tload of Ti and Alloy bolts lying round...from my days on moto race teams and when I was on the HunwickHarrop project.
I find the best lube is copper coated grease for Ti bolts...they will seize in Alloy if not lubed and left too long.They ain't cheap but they look sweet.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:09 am

Bunning has thread testers in the hardware section, pull 'em all off yer bike and go for a walk :wink: You'll just have to vernier the length then.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:31 am

I think all modern bikes will be 5mm with 0.8 pitch and 6mm with 1mm thread pitch.Very standard.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks guys! Will do the bunnings thingamajig and the copper grease...

cheers!

Lou