We all have the potential!

sogood

We all have the potential!

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:56 am

Modern man a wimp!

Yes, we all have unreleased genetic potential for greater cycling prowess! I particularly liked the line "The human body is very plastic and it responds to stress."

So let's go and stress ourselves! :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

casual_cyclist

Re: We all have the potential!

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:05 pm

It's true. I proved it on Saturday. I had only ridden 150km in the past 4 weeks so I was wondering how I would go for 200km. It turns out fine :D. There was just a section in the middle (which is turns out was only 30km :oops:) where, as the temperature climbed towards 38, I really lagged. I felt like my legs were ok, but mentally I had trouble pushing on. I was riding into a headwind and struggling to maintain 20km/h. In about 50km I drank 2L and was still thirsty. I arrived in Pinjarra totally spent. After some choc milk, bananas, and a cool down, I felt ok. The leg out of Pinjarra I was still struggling to maintain speed and my stomach was still a bit blah. I just didn't have the energy levels I am used to having. That all changed as the sun set and it started to cool down. I stopped for 2 cans of V (250ml) which was just the energy boost I needed. As the night got cooler, my energy levels increased and by the end of the ride (215km mark) I felt fine and could have kept going.

It amazed me that our bodies are so resilient! I thrashed mine to near exhaustion but recovered relatively quickly back to normal energy levels. After my energy levels returned to normal it felt amazing to be riding through the cool of the night. Anyway, I hope I have more potential than struggling to complete a 200km ride. I am planning a 1,200km with a 90 hour time limit next year!
<removed by request>

didge

Postby didge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Already started a thread on this article here

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:38 pm

So get your kids out on delivery bikes by the age of 5 with huge loads...in 15-20 years if they are hard enough they will be spanking tous le monde!.
Mais pour moi...c'est trop tard!.