running shoes

louella

running shoes

Postby louella » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:15 pm

I've just started running.. today.. and my feet were killing me along the sides. Just wondering what running shoes you wear and what brand you would recommend?

ForkinGreat

Re: running shoes

Postby ForkinGreat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:23 pm

louella wrote:I've just started running.. today.. and my feet were killing me along the sides. Just wondering what running shoes you wear and what brand you would recommend?
Assuming that you have no biomechanical issues (don't need orthotics etc etc), I recommend getting thyself pronto to Runners World in East Kew, the old dude there has been involved in running and athletics for longer than I have been alive :lol:

Stuff people's specific brand recommendations, as the shoes of that manufacturer may not suit your foot or running style.

You can also get a gait analysis done. Athletes Foot have a pressure plate thing that shows you how you walk/roll in/roll out/etc to give a guide as to what kind of shoe you need, but their prices can be a bit of a rip.
I went to a podiatrist, who did a gait analysis.well worth doing before figuring out what shoe to buy. Podiatrist may give you a list of recommendations. may save you mucho pain & injuries in the long run. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

louella

Postby louella » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Runners world hey... sounds interesting. i'll check it out

The shoes i'm using at the moment i bought from athletes foot after the chick did the whole test thing but i dont think they're very comfortable after a little while. so i'll try runners world and possibly see a podiatrist if need be.

thanks heaps :D

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:07 pm

NP, what did A.. Foot say about your gait/strike pattern? pronator/supinator/heel striker etc?

louella

Postby louella » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:16 pm

she didnt say much.. then again, i didnt ask her coz i have no idea what any of those things are. she just sold me some shoes...

do they do any kind of testing at runners world?

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:21 pm

louella wrote:she didnt say much.. then again, i didnt ask her coz i have no idea what any of those things are. she just sold me some shoes...

do they do any kind of testing at runners world?
Not sure. I'd been to the podiatrist a couple of years previously, and had shoe rec's from that. kept same style of shoe, but went through a couple of diff brands before finding one that suited me. I'm sure the RW dude would be able to help you out. Neil is his name. http://www.runnersworld.com.au/

Give them a ring & explain, & if you decide to go in there, take the shoes with you. Keep in mind, also, that you (acc to your post) literally just started running. location of aches and pains would be useful info for the shop staff. Asking Neil's advice would be my suggestion. best of luck :)

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:33 am

i have been running with brooks for a while and had no issues! there are many reputable brands, the problem is finding the one that suits you.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 am

Asics are great... I have 5 pairs of them

a

Postby a » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:53 am

bugger the brand - you need to find the right shoe for you. are you a nuetral runner or do you over or under pronate? got a wide or narrow or low volume foot?

have a read through these articles

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/run ... r-du.shtml

and have a gander on the http://www.coolrunning.com.au forums for a good running shoe shop wehere you live.

it is not uncommon for runners to go through many pairs of shoes before they fina one that suits (much like saddles).

Also - if you have just started running - dont do too much too soon - you will injure yourself. Check out the couch to 5k guide on coolrunning for a good training plan for beginners.

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:32 am

If you have only just started running, the problem may not be with your shoes. The soreness may just be a result of the new activity and impacts of running that your feet have not been used to. I bought my most recent running shoes (Aasics) through the local AF store, and was quite impressed (and pleasantly surprised) with the service and fitting process. I've had no problems with the shoes I bought.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

louella

Postby louella » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:59 am

Sweeper59 wrote:If you have only just started running, the problem may not be with your shoes. The soreness may just be a result of the new activity and impacts of running that your feet have not been used to. I bought my most recent running shoes (Aasics) through the local AF store..
well... i just started running yesterday so it could be coz i just have to get used to it... but i dunno my feet are sore along the outside edge and i got a blister just before my arch begins. so im thinking it might be the shoe also.
Missy24 wrote:Asics are great... I have 5 pairs of them
ive heard good things about asics and brooks, even though the shoes i have now are brooks. will go and try several shoes on next time..
a wrote:have a read through these articles

and have a gander on the http://www.coolrunning.com.au forums for a good running shoe shop wehere you live.

it is not uncommon for runners to go through many pairs of shoes before they fina one that suits (much like saddles).

Also - if you have just started running - dont do too much too soon - you will injure yourself. Check out the couch to 5k guide on coolrunning for a good training plan for beginners.
thanks for that site 'a' i had a read from that article and it was helpful. also glad to know its not uncommon to go through many pairs of shoes... :D womans dream...

Addict

Postby Addict » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:43 pm

see a good running shop or a pod to get fitted up properly.. if ur new to running expect a few blisters even with the right shoes.. ur feet need time to adapt... the right shoes will help prevent other injuries..

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:05 pm

louella wrote:
Sweeper59 wrote:If you have only just started running, the problem may not be with your shoes. The soreness may just be a result of the new activity and impacts of running that your feet have not been used to. I bought my most recent running shoes (Aasics) through the local AF store..
well... i just started running yesterday so it could be coz i just have to get used to it... but i dunno my feet are sore along the outside edge and i got a blister just before my arch begins. so im thinking it might be the shoe also.
ive heard good things about asics and brooks, even though the shoes i have now are brooks. will go and try several shoes on next time..
a wrote:have a read through these articles

thanks for that site 'a' i had a read from that article and it was helpful. also glad to know its not uncommon to go through many pairs of shoes... :D womans dream...
I think it may be more to do with the fact that you have just started running (as you seemed to get a reasonable shoe fit done). Just take it easy, increase your mileage slowly (10% rule). Give your self a decent break after running (i.e. at least a day or two) until your body starts to adapt.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:30 pm

What are these salesmen peddling?

whitestivo

Postby whitestivo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:58 pm

i read that 70% of runners at gold coast triathlon were wearing asics.. i've worn them as they suit my feet(really important) for 12 years.

brooks, new balance, asics, all good brands.

whitestivo

bracko

Postby bracko » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:14 pm

i went throught the same issues when i got back into running... had a pair of adidas that i LOVED so much i bought 2 pair of.... almost 10 years ago... the second pair had finally died due to a 3-4 year 'break' of any sport due to operations, then finding that spending time working/drinking/partying in clubs was much more fun than the footy field.

i actually ended up buying from athletes foot who did the imprint thing on my feet and offer a money back guarantee. yes you end up paying a lot more, but they offer a little more than 'does this shoe feel comfortable?'

bought mine for $210 and have since seen them in other stores for $170... in the scheme of things, since i get very bad shin splints (very high arches) whenever i wear bad shoes i think it's worth it.
Last edited by bracko on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:28 pm

But they don't fit my feet. My brother loves Adidas but they are horrible on me. I love New Balance but they are horrible on my flatmate.

You can't get shoe recommendations from other people. The shoes have to fit your feet and suit your style of running.
<removed by request>

brayantobbe

Postby brayantobbe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:03 am

This is completely an opinion and I've been a runner for years. I can definitely say that it depends on what you are looking for, and indeed your tastes can change. Here is what I found to be the the best and worst using the defining characteristics of running shoes and I've tried them all. Comfort- Reebok & Saucony. Adidas worst but still pretty comfortable. Duribility -Adidas. New Balance & Asics. Light Weight- Saucony & Asics. Nike & Reebok. Support -Nike. Saucony.