Fitz's Entry Open for 2009

DarrylH

Re: Fitz's Entry Open for 2009

Postby DarrylH » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Have had a few runs out to the Cotter/Uriarra and would suggest people take more than one spare tube. On four runs my daughter and I have had four punctures. That hill after the old Cotter pub site is a killer!! Had to walk the last 100m the first time on my old bike - today switched to daughter's no. 2 an OCR2 and made the top.

DarrylH

Bantam Roosta

In case you didn't get the email

Postby Bantam Roosta » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Pedal Power Fitz’s Challenge 2009 is this Sunday 1 November

This email is to confirm your pre-registration for one of the Fitz’s Challenge rides.
• All rides start at Stromlo Forest Park – access off Uriarra Road (via Cotter road or Coppins Crossing road)
• Start times:
1. Fitz’s Epic Challenge 207 km -- 05:30am for 06:00am
2. Fitz’s Classic Challenge 165 km -- 07:00am for 07:30am
3. Tharwa Challenge 105 km -- 08:00am for 08:30am
4. Tidbinbilla Challenge 50 km -- 08:30am for 09:00am
Please ensure you arrive early at least 30 minutes before your ride start time.
• If you have pre-registered and not received your rider pack or have received a rider pack for the wrong ride your correct rider pack will be available at the start on Sunday for your collection.
Otherwise bring your rider pack with brevet card and wrist band with you.
Fill in your details on the brevet card and deposit the ‘start throw and go’ tear off strip in the bin provided.
• You must attend the rider briefing which occurs immediately before the scheduled start time of your ride.
• The phone number of event central on the day is 0419 162 647 (Clem Tozer).
But mobile phones may not work throughout the course.

spunkyryan

Postby spunkyryan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm

Rode the 50km Tidbinbilla Challenge in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Could perhaps have gone sub 2 hours but ended up chatting to a chap called Mike for the last 10km.

It was awesome fun and if I'm in Canberra this time next year I'll be doing it again, possibly the Tharwa Challenge next year. :D
N+1 - 2019 Colnago C64, Dura-Ace Di2, DT Swiss PRC 1100 Dicut Mon Chasseral

lukas

Postby lukas » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:35 pm

My brother and I had an interesting day. His freewheel jammed coming down Honeysuckle, causing all sorts of mayhem to his drivechain, resulting in a bent chain. A terminal mechanical issue. So his day was done after 111km. I was going to just hop in the broom wagon with him but there was no room, so I headed off with the intention of skipping Corin and meeting him back at Stromlo.

I decided instead to do Corin and have him meet me at the bottom. So my day ended after 162kms. I was a bit disappointed not to finish, but I also didn't want to leave my bro at the finish line for hours.

It really is a wonderful area for riding. Very little traffic, some brutal hills. That Honeysuckle climb was very tough, and Corin was just so annoying in that it is constantly changing gradient. It really knocked me around.

I'll be back next year and barring any mishaps will finish the 207km.

Now for the alpine!
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:57 pm

I did the 105km Tharwa Challenge. What a day - absolutely loved it. Was happy with how I went, did the whole way with just a little left in the tank. Even the hills didn't phase me too much. And what a beautiful spot to cycling. Will definately be back next year - maybe to tackle the 165km (got twelve months to train up for it).
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

psike

Postby psike » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:32 am

Well finished the Epic, I think my ride mate and I may have been the last across the line for the Epic :( Having been ill for the month leading up to the Epic I was glad to actually be able to participate as it really looked like I'd have to give it away for this year, but the impact to my cardio really showed on the hills where I was painfully slow on the steeper bits. On the other hand I had a very strong ride on the descents and flats where I was really able to power along. The highlight for me were the descents - normally I'm a climber and a very timid descender, but yesterday I hit just over 75km/h coming down Corin and Honeysuckle and had a great moment where I crested a hill following a nice downhill and was still doing over 60km/h.

The day really bloody hurt though. The heat really hit home, and I found it very difficult to keep eating. Everytime I took a gel or food I thought I was going to vomit.

And a very very special thanks to guys cycling from Sydney - on the Corin descent I lost my mate behind me. They offered me a lift in their 4wd (support vehicle) back to look for him. Found him with both spare tubes failed and pondering what he'd do. These guys gave us a tube as they were packing it in for the day.

The volunteers were also amazing. The campervan at the top of Corin and the guys at the top of Fitz's come to mind.

My mate from Sydney who rode with us did really well, blitzing the hills. And a mate from Wollongong completed the Epic in 8:05 elapsed, fantastic effort, even though he did describe it as a much much harder ride than he'd anticipated.

Hope to see you all out there next year. Last year I did the Classic, this year the Epic, next year I think the Tidbinbilla ride looks good :)

Russ.

EDIT: and I slept for 12 hours last night, if anyone is up for a ride Monday or Tuesday let me know :)

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Bantam Roosta

Failed!

Postby Bantam Roosta » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:06 am

Well, my day didn't go too well. I did the classic.

To start with I was going great. Was in a big bunch from the start to Tharwa. I sat at the back and averaged 29km for that section without working up a sweat. Everything continued sweet up to Rendevous Ck, felt a bit rough on the way back, jumped on the back of a bunch from Fitz's back to Tharwa, then that was where the trouble started. I had a 15 minute break at Tharwa then left with the "Coast 2 Kosci 4 Kids" group. Great guys, were more then happy to help me out. But I hit a wall and I wasn't getting over it. I struggled up to the Corin turn-off, where I had to have another rest. I think I ran into the same Sydney crew you did Russ. They were doing the Epic, but a few of them had had enough and were waiting at the turn-off for their mates.

After Leaving the Corin turn-off (at this stage I was doing about 15km/hr) I got to Tanner's Flat, stopped again, then I stopped in the shade again down the road and again at Mt MacDonald check point. At this stage I was pretty crook. I should have called it off earlier but I really wanted to finish it. After leaving Mt McDonald CP, I got up there and then down to Urriara Homestead, where I finally called it quits. It was only 17km to the finish, but I honestly think I would have ended up in hospital if I tried to finish. I was gone.

I was fairly well hydrated and fed (I think, maybe I needed more then I thought). I never had much problem getting food and water into me. I think it was the heat mainly. I was fully sunscreened, with regular top-ups which stopped me getting burnt, but the heat was brutal on me and just floored me. I ended up doing 150km.

I think I may join you for the Tidbinbilla next year Russ, if I'm feeling keen I may do Tharwa. :D

Chris

EDIT: I woke up this morning feeling hungover. I wish I could sleep 12 hours. 2 young children prevents that from occurring. I had a headache, felt groggy. Feeling ok now, just tired. I've been eating non-stop today, just recovering. In hindsight, I was pretty sick yesterday.

lukas

Postby lukas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:12 pm

I think a few were feeling pretty sick by early afternoon. The heat played a big part. Does anyone know what the max temp was?

My bro and I crammed some unlucky fellow in the back of our station wagon and got him back to Stromlo. He was in a bad way. Others tried to flag us down on the way back, but we had no room.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:33 pm

lukas wrote:Does anyone know what the max temp was?
31.7. Not sure what time that was. 9.1 above historical average for the day.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Nailed the classic. Really happy. Took it easy cos my riding partner was a bit slower than me, but averaged 25kmh for the day. I didnt think the hills were as bad as I was lead to believe. In particular, Fitz was an anti-climax. Epic for me next year. Good times. Great event.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm still weary, after doing the Epic in 10hrs 55 min. Good enough for an middle-aged bloke who just wanted to finish to qualify for the Audax Alpine Classic Extreme.

It was my first attempt at Fitz's and I'm really glad there are a few hills in Central Victoria, where I live, of similar length and steepness. I ran out of water half way up the Corin Forest climb and noticed the very earliest signs of heat stress so I stopped at Billy Billy Creek, scrambled down to the trickle, had a drink, soaked my jersey in the cold water and got back on the bike. After 5 minutes at the Corin checkpoint, sitting in the shade and scoffing off two bananas and a whole nest of vipers, I felt fine again.

Coming down, I thought "It's in the bag, I've done 70 - 80 km rides feeling worse than this". And so it proved to be: I rode strongly all the way to the finish.

Thanks to the organisers and especially to the checkpoint crews who did a great job in trying weather.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 pm

10 odd hours in the saddle in those conditions is worthy of big respect. From about 12:30, it became a bit nasty. Just short of 7 was enough for me, although I could have gone further. How far did you have to go to qual for the Alpine?

psike

Postby psike » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:38 am

Postscript. Today I did a 56km ride, from Hackett out to Macquarie, across Coppins Crossing Rd up Mt Stromlo, back to Parkes, Mt Pleasant and back to Hackett. Averaged 26.5kmh and felt much stronger than I did on Fitz's, even at for the first two hours of Fitz's. Could be recovery from illness, and I'm just getting stronger. But unfortunately the truth lies in stupidity. I found this morning my rear right brake pad was brushing the rim and the wheel didn't freewheel more than two revolutions. It only seemed to happen on climbing, quik adjustment and I developed a whole heap of strength in the legs. Miraculous. :oops:

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

vanilla

Postby vanilla » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Finished the Classic in 8.10. First long ride event. The last 26kms were a nightmare, had some orange pieces at the last checkpoint and felt nauseous all the way to the finish where I threw up not only the oranges but the two bidons I had drunk on the last 26kms. Fitzs hill may have been difficult but for me it was nothing compared to that last loop through Uriarra xing. I still remember watching the computer ... 166.2...166.3 and thinking it would never end! Bring on Bright! Congrats to all those that had a crack on the day and a big thanks to the vols.